Confirmed Trade: [DET/CHI] Brendan Perlini for Alec Regula

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Wings have tons of D in the system at this point. They took 3 that they are high on in the 19 draft. McIssac the year before. They also have Cholowski and Hronek in the bigs now. Makes a guy like Regula expendable.

Regula is a maybe NHLer. Perlini IS a NHL player.

The idea is probably to get some secondary scoring on the Wings before everybody stops watching/going to games. Perlini might be a 3rd liner, but Regula would be 3rd pair so it is kind of a wash.
Plus Seider is 4. That is still two open spots to fill in the next two years if you are 100% counting on McIssaac which is still optimistic. Just to add at best will be a 3rd liner next year. This team needs defense not wingers.

2011 draft class most Wings fans had XO, Sproul, Backman and Marchenko all penciled in. How did that work out? You can’t assume defensemen are going to be shoe ins at 18-20 years old.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Plus Seider is 4. That is still two open spots to fill in the next two years if you are 100% counting on McIssaac which is still optimistic. Just to add at best will be a 3rd liner next year. This team needs defense not wingers.

2011 draft class most Wings fans had XO, Sproul, Backman and Marchenko all penciled in. How did that work out? You can’t assume defensemen are going to be shoe ins at 18-20 years old.

Well, you aren't going to roll out 6 young guys. DDK will still be here in that time frame. Yzerman will probably add another LHD in that time frame. LHD is where we are lacking on D. There is a lot of RHD in the pipe. Hronek and Seider are going to be our top RHD so the fight is on for 3rd pair. You have Lindstron, Tuomisto, Berglund, Barton, Fraser, Kaski. If you can't get any of them to 3rd pair you go out and sign a right handed Nemeth.

This team needs talent at every position. You are making too big a deal over losing Regula.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Well, you aren't going to roll out 6 young guys. DDK will still be here in that time frame. Yzerman will probably add another LHD in that time frame. LHD is where we are lacking on D. There is a lot of RHD in the pipe. Hronek and Seider are going to be our top RHD so the fight is on for 3rd pair. You have Lindstron, Tuomisto, Berglund, Barton, Fraser, Kaski. If you can't get any of them to 3rd pair you go out and sign a right handed Nemeth.

This team needs talent at every position. You are making too big a deal over losing Regula.
Pointless trade. This isn’t about Regula, it’s about trading an asset in a position of need for something the Wings don’t need. A 3rd line winger (at best) is not a need.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

Then you shouldn’t be acting like Regula is a big loss... his chances of making the NHL are very slim and if he does his ceiling is very low and a player like that can be found easily in free agency.

As of right now we gave up a guy who’s like 5th in our prospect pool, in a year when we will have some great picks coming up as well, for a shot in the dark that while it’s a small chance it pays off, could pay off well too.

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Lmao how do all these fans of other teams seem to know so much about regula and how great he is as a prospect... and yet to us wings fans he’s not even a top 5 defense prospect in our entire system (which is thin on defense). I’d barely even heard of the guy before this trade and I follow prospects more than the average fan.

Some of you are just so desperate to trash a team you hate that you’re actually propping up a mid-round defense prospect who has a very limited chance to even make the NHL and acting like Yzerman really blew it.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I liked him a lot as a junior--size, skating, RD..I have not been able to follow his development but he certainly had all the physical tools.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Pointless trade. This isn’t about Regula, it’s about trading an asset in a position of need for something the Wings don’t need. A 3rd line winger (at best) is not a need.

If Perlini turns it up there, he can be flipped for an even better asset.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Then you shouldn’t be acting like Regula is a big loss... his chances of making the NHL are very slim and if he does his ceiling is very low and a player like that can be found easily in free agency.

As of right now we gave up a guy who’s like 5th in our prospect pool, in a year when we will have some great picks coming up as well, for a shot in the dark that while it’s a small chance it pays off, could pay off well too.
Try reading what I said instead of making things up.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Lmao how do all these fans of other teams seem to know so much about regula and how great he is as a prospect... and yet to us wings fans he’s not even a top 5 defense prospect in our entire system (which is thin on defense). I’d barely even heard of the guy before this trade and I follow prospects more than the average fan.

Some of you are just so desperate to trash a team you hate that you’re actually propping up a mid-round defense prospect who has a very limited chance to even make the NHL and acting like Yzerman really blew it.
Then you know Regula has been buried behind Boqvist and Bouchard and still put up 39 points last year. This year he’s off to 11 points in 10 games and should get a chance to show what he can do. Defense is a desperate need for the Wings at this point and they trade him for what the Wings are hoping can develop from a scratch to be a 3rd line player for a couple years if they’re lucky. Give me the prospect in the area of need over the player who won’t be around when this team is going to be good.

Maybe (probably) Yzerman knows better. But on the surface it doesn’t make sense.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Try reading what I said instead of making things up.

I read loud and clear what you said. We don’t have a need for a , at best, 3rd pairing D in 3-4 years. Those are a dime a dozen and we have much better prospects already in the system.

As others have stated, if Perlini can get back to his rookie season then this is easily worth it. We have nobody who can score outside of 4 players. This is a low risk- medium reward trade.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I read loud and clear what you said. We don’t have a need for a , at best, 3rd pairing D in 3-4 years. Those are a dime a dozen and we have much better prospects already in the system.

As others have stated, if Perlini can get back to his rookie season then this is easily worth it. We have nobody who can score outside of 4 players. This is a low risk- medium reward trade.
Why is Regula limited to 3rd pair ceiling as a 19 year old?

So you want Perlini to be reclaimed to be a 30 point player and you acting like he’s a big deal?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why is Regula limited to 3rd pair ceiling as a 19 year old?

So you want Perlini to be reclaimed to be a 30 point player and you acting like he’s a big deal?

When have I ever said he’s a big deal :laugh:

I said he’s a medium reward if all works out. And yes his 14 goals in ~55games would make him our 5th best scorer on the team, something we desperately need as were 2nd last in goals scored. That is very easily worth a guy who was pegged as a bottom pairing D when we drafted him and has done nothing to suggest otherwise.

Perlini has showed he can score at this level and we could really use that. We already have better options than Regula... a lot of them.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
When have I ever said he’s a big deal :laugh:

I said he’s a medium reward if all works out. And yes his 14 goals in ~55games would make him our 5th best scorer on the team, something we desperately need as were 2nd last in goals scored. That is very easily worth a guy who was pegged as a bottom pairing D when we drafted him and has done nothing to suggest otherwise.

Perlini has showed he can score at this level and we could really use that. We already have better options than Regula... a lot of them.
Clearly went over your head. I was making fun of you from when you said I was making Regula a big deal. WOOOOOSH!

Next year Perlini is fighting it out for a 3rd line job at best after Veleno, Rass and Zadina are with the team. Who cares.

Bert/Larkin/Mantha
Rass/Veleno/ Z
AA/Filp/ Perlini/Hirose/Smith/Svech/Nielsen

Mix them how you want. If he can’t crack that he’s gone.

Meanwhile the Wings are paper thin on defense on the Wings and in prospects.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Clearly went over your head. I was making fun of you from when you said I was making Regula a big deal. WOOOOOSH!

Next year Perlini is fighting it out for a 3rd line job at best after Veleno, Rass and Zadina are with the team. Who cares.

Bert/Larkin/Mantha
Rass/Veleno/ Z
AA/Filp/ Perlini/Hirose/Smith/Svech/Nielsen

Mix them how you want. If he can’t crack that he’s gone.

Meanwhile the Wings are paper thin on defense on the Wings and in prospects.

You do know that if Regula was to ever even make the Wings he’s still 3 years away (at best)?

And to do so he would also have to beat out all of Seider, Cholo, Mcaisaac, Hronek, Tuomisto, Lindstron and whichever veteran D we sign because no we are not going to run with a top 6 of 25 and under D.

Also you’re listing all of Zadina/Valeno/Hirose/Smith making the team despite two of them doing fairly poorly in the AHL, one struggling in the NHL and one who’s nothing more than a 4th liner.

Again, I’ve never seen someone get so upset over trading a guy who’s currently about #12 on our D depth chart :laugh:

Would you be this mad if we traded a 3rd? What if we get 20 goals out of Perlini? That would make him our 4th or 5th best scorer on a team that can’t score.

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
This trade really makes sense from both sides. Regula would likely be behind Seider, Lindstrom, and Hronek on the right side depth chart. Perlini was being passed over by other players and he doesn’t really fit in a bottom six role so they needed to move him for some sort of value. Seems like such a minor trade I’d be hard pressed to call it a win for either side.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Regula wasn't an Yzerman pick, obviously. After drafting Seider (and a few more defenseman on top of him) when most Wings fans were expected a center to be drafted, and now shipping Regula off for a reclamation project, it seems pretty clear that Yzerman wasn't a big fan of the defense stock in Detroit.

Also, I think folks are overlooking the fact that Perlini is a friend of Larkin's. There is nothing about Larkin's body language or his pressers that suggest he is a happy camper. This may help placate Larkin until other moves can be made - at least he might enjoy the company in the locker room.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
You do know that if Regula was to ever even make the Wings he’s still 3 years away (at best)?

And to do so he would also have to beat out all of Seider, Cholo, Mcaisaac, Hronek, Tuomisto, and whichever veteran D we sign because no we are not going to run with a top 6 of 25 and under D.

Also you’re listing all of Zadina/Valeno/Hirose/Smith making the team despite two of them doing fairly poorly in the AHL, one struggling in the NHL and one who’s nothing more than a 4th liner.

Again, I’ve never seen someone get so upset over trading a guy who’s currently about #12 on our D depth chart :laugh:

Would you be this mad if we traded a 3rd? What if we get 20 goals out of Perlini? That would make him our 4th or 5th best scorer on a team that can’t score.

If you dont have interest in the Wings or their players feel free to stop replying. You seem at least as invested in this conversation as i am.

I think you don't understand what season the Wings are playing for. They aren't going to make the playoffs for 3 years. This season is just a development year where they are hoping to accumulate more talent at the draft and develop young players.

You seem to think every prospect the Wing have will work out. You don't even seem to know much about them either. You are going to be very disappointed to learn they arent going to all make it. Especially when you have Tuomisto as a sure thing and don't think Veleno or Zadina won't be good players. Seems like you should learn a bit about the Wings and their players before posting again because you're completely ignorant about the team. They have a game tonight you should watch them play a game for the first time.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If you dont have interest in the Wings or their players feel free to stop replying. You seem at least as invested in this conversation as i am.

I think you don't understand what season the Wings are playing for. They aren't going to make the playoffs for 3 years. This season is just a development year where they are hoping to accumulate more talent at the draft and develop young players.

You seem to think every prospect the Wing have will work out. You don't even seem to know much about them either. You are going to be very disappointed to learn they arent going to all make it. Especially when you have Tuomisto as a sure thing and don't think Veleno or Zadina won't be good players. Seems like you should learn a bit about the Wings and their players before posting again because you're completely ignorant about the team. They have a game tonight you should watch them play a game for the first time.

:laugh: not a fan of reading usernames are you?

Ive never once said Tuomisto was a sure thing. I’m saying that CURRENTLY Hronek, Cholo, Seider, Mcaisaac, Lindstron and Tuomisto are above Regula. So yes I have absolutely no issue with trading a guy who is around 12-14th on the depth chart. To make the team, he would have to become better than each of those 6 prospects as well as whatever other players they sign over the next 3-5 years. The odds a 3rd rounder ever makes the NHL is low.

Perlini is a 23yo, former 12th overall pick with untapped potential and they traded essentially a 3rd round pick for him. I have no issue with this very little risk- potential medium reward.

Again, if he becomes a 20goal scorer then he’s (sadly) one of our better wingers until our prospects are ready, which as of now players like Zadina, Valeno, Ras, etc haven’t shown. Young 20 goal scorers are absolutely worth a 3rd and valuable assets.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

Considering none of our other third line wingers dicided to show up this year(or second line wingers, for that matter), I'd say its a need. Our middle six has scored a whopping 3 goals this year, one of which was an empty netter.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Regula wasn't an Yzerman pick, obviously. After drafting Seider (and a few more defenseman on top of him) when most Wings fans were expected a center to be drafted, and now shipping Regula off for a reclamation project, it seems pretty clear that Yzerman wasn't a big fan of the defense stock in Detroit.

Also, I think folks are overlooking the fact that Perlini is a friend of Larkin's. There is nothing about Larkin's body language or his pressers that suggest he is a happy camper. This may help placate Larkin until other moves can be made - at least he might enjoy the company in the locker room.
We shouldnt be making moves just to get larkins buddies

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The labeling of 3rd liner is way to forgiving to how Perlini played most nights last year. Outside of his hot 2 weeks he was consistently the worst forward corsi wise and visibly on the Hawks. Looking lost or not caring outside a few moments.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I like Perlini, hope he pulls through to have a long NHL career.

There are things to like about him: big power forward body, good shooter, good skater—especially for his size.

And things to not like about him: doesn’t use his size to play physically, doesn’t play well without the puck, questionable effort/motor in all zones.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad