Confirmed Trade: [DET/CHI] Brendan Perlini for Alec Regula

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Considering none of our other third line wingers dicided to show up this year(or second line wingers, for that matter), I'd say its a need. Our middle six has scored a whopping 3 goals this year, one of which was an empty netter.

So, what... we get slightly better scoring and finish as the 4th worst, rather than the 3rd worst team in the league? Or do you think that guys like Ras, Zadina, Svech, etc. are all complete busts and that we need to make moves today to shore up the middle six for tomorrow?

I couldn't care less about Regula, but pretending that what this team really needed is a Perlini is pretty silly.

Reactions: Tetsuo and TS Quint

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Not a fan of this trade. I honestly don't like Regula very much as a prospect. Precisely the style of defenseman I don't want... But he was still a decent prospect. I just don't see how Perlini does anything for us though. Would have preferred a 5th round pick or something.

Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
:laugh: not a fan of reading usernames are you?

Ive never once said Tuomisto was a sure thing. I’m saying that CURRENTLY Hronek, Cholo, Seider, Mcaisaac, Lindstron and Tuomisto are above Regula. So yes I have absolutely no issue with trading a guy who is around 12-14th on the depth chart. To make the team, he would have to become better than each of those 6 prospects as well as whatever other players they sign over the next 3-5 years. The odds a 3rd rounder ever makes the NHL is low.

Perlini is a 23yo, former 12th overall pick with untapped potential and they traded essentially a 3rd round pick for him. I have no issue with this very little risk- potential medium reward.

Again, if he becomes a 20goal scorer then he’s (sadly) one of our better wingers until our prospects are ready, which as of now players like Zadina, Valeno, Ras, etc haven’t shown. Young 20 goal scorers are absolutely worth a 3rd and valuable assets.
I’m more of a fan of reading your posts than your username.

Perlini isn’t a 20 goal scorer now (he’s a scratch for a bad team) and that would be his ceiling at this point. If we are only looking at ceilings then you just traded a quality 2nd pair DMAN which the Wings desperately need for or a player who has no future with the team. I wouldn’t trade any of Z, Veleno or Ras for him either.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I’m more of a fan of reading your posts than your username.

Perlini isn’t a 20 goal scorer now (he’s a scratch for a bad team) and that would be his ceiling at this point. If we are only looking at ceilings then you just traded a quality 2nd pair DMAN which the Wings desperately need for or a player who has no future with the team. I wouldn’t trade any of Z, Veleno or Ras for him either.

of course you wouldn’t trade any of them for him because they have elite potential.

instead we traded a 3rd round pick, which has about a 10% chance of ever even playing in the NHL, for potentially 20 goals.

well worth this risk.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Considering none of our other third line wingers dicided to show up this year(or second line wingers, for that matter), I'd say its a need. Our middle six has scored a whopping 3 goals this year, one of which was an empty netter.
Winning is not a need and even if it was is Perlini a contributor on a winning team? He never has been. He was a scratch for a not very good Hawks team. With some luck he might be a marginal upgrade on Hirose? Maybe Svech has the same chance if you played him more than 8 minutes a game. Smith or Kuffner could be that guy. I don’t see Perlini as a huge upgrade. I don’t think any of them really matter when it comes down to winning. Regula has potential to be contributing to winning when this team is ready to win.

This team is and should be focused on winning in about 3 years. Right now the focus is on drafting and developing players for the holes they have in the line up. Trading for a potential 3rd line winger who most likely won’t be contributing to winning is strange even if Regula does pan out to be another Sproul at least the potential was there to contribute to winning if he does pan out.

Reactions: Hockeyfannnn91

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
of course you wouldn’t trade any of them for him because they have elite potential.

instead we traded a 3rd round pick, which has about a 10% chance of ever even playing in the NHL, for potentially 20 goals.

well worth this risk.
Keep focusing on Regula’s floor and Perlini’s ceiling. Hope it makes you feel better about this trade.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Keep focusing on Regula’s floor and Perlini’s ceiling. Hope it makes you feel better about this trade.

We have a guaranteed NHL player who’s still young with high untapped potential for a 3rd rd pick who statistically has about a 10% chance of sniffing the NHL and is behind 6-7 of our young prospect D already.

I feel just fine about this trade, because it’s completely inconsequential because no pieces will have any huge impact on the team but we got the piece with a slightly higher ceiling

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Perlini has played with Larkin in the past, grew up in Michigan, and we're currently playing Darren Helm on the first line. I'd absolutely rather try Perlini there or move Mantha back up and play Perlini with Athanasiou on the 2nd line if Perlini is really as fast as people say. We need to score more and Perlini has the tools.

Yes, this is a losing season for us but if we're going on 8+ game losing streaks the whole season it's going to be bad for our young players' development.

Reactions: Tetsuo

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Yes, this is a losing season for us but if we're going on 8+ game losing streaks the whole season it's going to be bad for our young players' development.

Based on what? The long NHL history of good players continuing to develop on bad teams? Or is this where we point at Edmonton and pretend that it was the organization losing games that was really the cause of Yakupov not being a star, and not the fact that he just wasn't a particularly good hockey player? Are you really going to suggest that, say, Brady Tkachuk is already doomed, simply by virtue of the Senators not winning many games? Did Mackinnon's development get irreversibly destroyed by the 2016 season?

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
The trades decent but the timing sucks. Would’ve loved to see Svechnikov play against his brother.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Based on what? The long NHL history of good players continuing to develop on bad teams? Or is this where we point at Edmonton and pretend that it was the organization losing games that was really the cause of Yakupov not being a star, and not the fact that he just wasn't a particularly good hockey player? Are you really going to suggest that, say, Brady Tkachuk is already doomed, simply by virtue of the Senators not winning many games? Did Mackinnon's development get irreversibly destroyed by the 2016 season?

Wow really jumping to a lot of extreme conclusions there my guy. I didn't say "irreversibly destroyed," or "doomed," I said bad for development.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Wow really jumping to a lot of extreme conclusions there my guy. I didn't say "irreversibly destroyed," or "doomed," I said bad for development.

So, not going to address that that statement ('bad for development') is either baseless or an outright falsehood? Ok.

Reactions: LDF

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
So, not going to address that that statement ('bad for development') is either baseless or an outright falsehood? Ok.

What's your endgame here man? I think losing 8+ games in a row and giving up 5 goals a game while barely managing to score a goal will take a toll on a player's mentality. I think attempting to add secondary scoring so we don't lose as badly or as often is a good move. You're welcome to think otherwise.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Another Coyote fan weighing in.

Agree with all the previous comments and will add that Perlini has many interests outside of hockey and when he left AZ, Athletic reporter Craig Morgan (who covers the Yotes) mentioned how much Pearls enjoyed talking about topics other than hockey. He is the antithesis of Conor Garland.

Perlini is an RFA after this season, my strong guess is he'll be playing in Europe next season.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
What's your endgame here man? I think losing 8+ games in a row and giving up 5 goals a game while barely managing to score a goal will take a toll on a player's mentality. I think attempting to add secondary scoring so we don't lose as badly or as often is a good move. You're welcome to think otherwise.

My "end game" is to have people stop repeating this nonsense. It started with the "losing mentality" garbage when the team was first missing the playoffs, and now, god forbid they lose a few games or all of the players will regress/develop poorly. Both directly contradicted by literally years of evidence to the contrary.

You're welcome to close your eyes, plug up your ears and try to pretend otherwise, if you'd like. Or you can answer the very, very simple questions I asked in the first response to you and find your way to the right answer on your own.

Reactions: ThankGord

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
We have a guaranteed NHL player who’s still young with high untapped potential for a 3rd rd pick who statistically has about a 10% chance of sniffing the NHL and is behind 6-7 of our young prospect D already.

I feel just fine about this trade, because it’s completely inconsequential because no pieces will have any huge impact on the team but we got the piece with a slightly higher ceiling
Guaranteed NHL player? Yeah you can be forced to play him, doesn't mean he's an nhl player. Perlini needs top six minutes and very good linemates to even coming close to producing anything. He is a ghost in a bottom six support or checking role. Truly a tweener. Doesn't have the tools for bottom 6, and not good enough to be a top six player. He will flame out to Europe within a year or two

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019

Guaranteed nhl player whos been a healthy scratch. Pretty sure hes got 10% of an nhl career ahead of him,not this high untapped potential you’ve convinced yourself of

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Guaranteed nhl player whos been a healthy scratch. Pretty sure hes got 10% of an nhl career ahead of him,not this high untapped potential you’ve convinced yourself of
its the problem most HF posters have when they dont actually watch the players and only look at stat lines.

Coaches arent dumb when they bench guys who have notorious consistency and effort problems. its easy to look at someone like Perlini and yell "UNTAPPED POTENTIAL 20 GOAL GUY" by looking at his youtube highlight or his goals per game production rate in hot stretches.

the reality is the coaches see a guy who gets between 12-15 min of ice time a night, is a complete disaster and un-engaged with the play for 95% of his shifts, losing his assignments, not playing the system, floating, etc, but then low and behold, one shift he finds himself in the right spot at the right time for a scoring chance and sometimes he bends the twine, sometimes he doesnt, but other than that he isnt producing or generating any possession or scoring chances on his own despite his linemates

coaches arent going to keep playing a guys who for 95% of the time is a lost liability in the hopes one shift he gets a goal or assist once every four games

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not a fan of this trade. I honestly don't like Regula very much as a prospect. Precisely the style of defenseman I don't want... But he was still a decent prospect. I just don't see how Perlini does anything for us though. Would have preferred a 5th round pick or something.

That's insane to value a 5th round pick over Brendan Perlini. Go look at Wings 5th rounders over the last 25-30 years. I think only Jensen, Mrazek and Helm ever wound up playing a game for the Wings.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Guaranteed NHL player? Yeah you can be forced to play him, doesn't mean he's an nhl player. Perlini needs top six minutes and very good linemates to even coming close to producing anything. He is a ghost in a bottom six support or checking role. Truly a tweener. Doesn't have the tools for bottom 6, and not good enough to be a top six player. He will flame out to Europe within a year or two

Its a good thing we have a glaring hole in the top 6 then! Darren F*king Helm is on our first line. We are so desperate for goals that we can test him out there, if it doesn’t work out then we lost a C level prospect... not a big deal.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

20 goals is a high untapped potential? Much rather take a risk on a guy who’s scored at 20 goal paces before then a 3rd rd pick with about a 10% chance of having any NHL career. Plenty of healthy scratches have had great careeer

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
My "end game" is to have people stop repeating this nonsense. It started with the "losing mentality" garbage when the team was first missing the playoffs, and now, god forbid they lose a few games or all of the players will regress/develop poorly. Both directly contradicted by literally years of evidence to the contrary.

You're welcome to close your eyes, plug up your ears and try to pretend otherwise, if you'd like. Or you can answer the very, very simple questions I asked in the first response to you and find your way to the right answer on your own.

Where is this “years” of evidence to suggest otherwise?

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
20 goals is a high untapped potential? Much rather take a risk on a guy who’s scored at 20 goal paces before then a 3rd rd pick with about a 10% chance of having any NHL career. Plenty of healthy scratches have had great careeer
Well take the risk and enjoy him for the next 18 months , you can follow him in the swiss league afterwards and watch him get his 20 goals. Im sure hawks fans will have more fun watching regula play with boqvist

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Well take the risk and enjoy him for the next 18 months , you can follow him in the swiss league afterwards and watch him get his 20 goals. Im sure hawks fans will have more fun watching regula play with boqvist

You do know how unlikely it is that Regula even makes the NHL, let alone playing on a top pairing where Bobqvist likely will be, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad