Confirmed with Link: Derek Grant obtained from Anaheim for Criscuolo + 4th

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Have you ever watched the dude play?

I watch the Ducks reasonably often because Hampus Lindholm is one of my favorite players. I don't watch much of Pittsburgh or Calgary or his various other stops outside of that tiny stint in Nashville.

I can also do basic math. He's on a Shooting heater. That's cool. The Ducks got extra on ice value out of him. It's not sustainable. He has positives, but when you have to go lol14Goals, you're just saying you have nothing to add to a conversation.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Grant is not a normal 20g a year player he is on a "Hagg" run. Saying that if by game 82 Farabee is back, Grant as 4c/depth wing is right move. Far far better than a 1 for Goodrow.

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Well it was fun while it lasted back to being an old, slow team with a multitude of 4th liners who are about as exciting as watching paint dry......Holmgren and clarke in their glory......How do you think this looks to the college seniors they need to sign?

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I watch the Ducks reasonably often because Hampus Lindholm is one of my favorite players. I don't watch much of Pittsburgh or Calgary or his various other stops outside of that tiny stint in Nashville.

I can also do basic math. He's on a Shooting heater. That's cool. The Ducks got extra on ice value out of him. It's not sustainable. He has positives, but when you have to go lol14Goals, you're just saying you have nothing to add to a conversation.
missed out on Pageau so we grabbed Thompson...missed out on Ovechkin so we grabbed Grant

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers are a north-south, chip and chase, low risk, win puck-battles team. Not a fancy east-west skate with the puck team. Especially with the lower lines.

Grant's size & style fit the tactics.

Reactions: LorneMalvo and JXC

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Im assuming it’s because I’ve got him blocked, but if this is someone with “time” at the end of their username, he’s nothing but a troll looking to bait.

You’ll see in time.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Well it was fun while it lasted back to being an old, slow team with a multitude of 4th liners who are about as exciting as watching paint dry......Holmgren and clarke in their glory......How do you think this looks to the college seniors they need to sign?
Do we know for certain that grant is slow? I have heard otherwise.

Flyers Time

May 4, 2012

You're crying about demoting a 19 year old kid who has 7 goals this year. It'll be ok

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ

Congrats on having no idea what you’re talking about. Are you one of the people who keeps commenting “announce Gaudreau” on all the Flyers social media accounts?

Reactions: Flyers Time

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
So Ducks fans say he can skate but our resident scouts on HF that hit the Braun and Nisky evaluations out of the park say he is big and slow, which is it ?

What’s funny is we traded away somebody who was big and slow (Gudas) for someone who was more mobile and people still complained at the time too. You can’t win with some people.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Do we know for certain that grant is slow? I have heard otherwise.
Not purporting to be a Grant expert. But my memory of him is he eats up ice pretty well for his size. Not explosive, but one of those guys who covers more territory than it looks like and is smart with how he does it. I don't think he'd be in the league and a top penalty killer if he were "slow."

My recollection of Thompson is he's pretty fast.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
It's funny when you enter a thread and read fancy stat folks talk about how Grant is the Ducks worst player, lol.

He's been one of the Ducks best forwards all year. Common misconception is that he's some grinder/plug, when he's more of a 2-way forward and doesn't actualy hit all that much anymore. He's good on the penalty kill, where he breaks up plays and even scores goals. Basically he does everything well. Makes good passes with the puck, rarely turns it over, his hands aren't terrible and he even displays some hand-eye in front of the opposing goalie. I disagree with other Ducks fans that he's a fast skater, but he gets around it with good smarts.

Every Ducks fan wanted him re-signed. But this summer is gonna be his big chance of cashing in some in free agency.
so...great sign that a lot of Ducks fans are visiting with nothing but good to say about Grant's play. I look forward to seeing him play for the Flyers, and whether or not he can make the team even more effective than they are right now.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Ripple effects.

In a vacuum, these trades are just fine. I have no problem with the value back and forth on either side. Fletcher is far from being fleeced here.

HOWEVER, anyone with a clue knew this was going to cause roster casualties on a team who was on a roll. The "if it ain't broke don't fix it" crowd who are advocating to keep Hagg in the lineup may or may not be the same people who are ok with Farabee being a roster casualty. Bunnaman? Ok, you could sway me there- get Thompson in there and see what he can do, at the very least a respectable PKer who can win a lot (A LOT) of d zone draws. Fine.

But then he trades for Grant and adds to the logjam in the bottom 6 (read also: bottom 3). Playoff depth is fine, but anyone with a clue knew this wasn't going to be playoff depth. Anyone with a clue knew Bitch Stewie wasn't just going to be depth. And here we are, Farabee sent down for "a while" or whatever that tweet said under the guise of "being playoff eligible" for a team without a chance in hell at the AHL playoffs...you can just see right through it.

This coming days after AV praises the Farabee-Hayes-TK unit. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

What happens now? Thompson is 4C. Ok. Grant? 3W? Seriously? 2W? Don't make me laugh. What about 4W? Ok, that bumps Pitlick or NAK up to tougher minutes where they may be less effective.

Anyone with a clue could see the ripple effects coming that could and probably will weaken this team. I f***ing hope not, because they're rolling at the right time.

"He'll hardly play. It won't even make a difference!" They exclaim

Last edited:

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto

Well, neither of the new acquisitions have contracts yet for 2020-21, nor have they even demonstrated their real worth yet...Pitlick is up for a new contract, I like him for a re-sign, but nothing's guaranteed...NAK and Bunnaman have stood out positively from a wealth of pre-existing AHL depth forwards.

Flyer management gave a lot of depth pieces a fair shot at the NHL roster, which is usually good for young players. I dare say that LHV has plenty of room on their roster too for quality players, if any college senior prefers their AHL chances as opposed to ECHL ones.

Morgan Frost is knocking on the NHL roster door. Farabee is already there, for all intents and purposes, today's demotion notwithstanding. And two young roster locks on the LTIR with nothing really concrete to say about their futures just yet. Huge wildcard.

All in all...fairly standard landscape for college seniors, tons of competing factors for them to consider. In the end, only their play can really set them apart from the crowd, whether it's with the Flyers or elsewhere. The last big deal college senior Flyer pick to test greener pastures, Copper Marody (kinda, he was traded, but scuttlebutt is that he wasn't unhappy with that), is playing in Bakersfield for the Edmonton AHL affiliate. And he was a pretty damn good NCAA player.

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
What is everyone b****ing about. Perfect deadline. Keep the vets happy by doing something and saying “hey we are making an effort”, without expending any asset of above-modest value.
Sure these are two names we’ll likely never remember but it’s depth for the bottom of the lineup at virtually no cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad