Confirmed with Link: Derek Grant obtained from Anaheim for Criscuolo + 4th

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Grant is a 6'3 215 lb LW on this team who'll forecheck.
If at some point they want to play Frost, with Lindblom out, who was going to be his LW?
Grant gives you more flexibility in putting lines together.

Farabee and Frost will be up for the playoffs if not sooner.
And AV has put a great emphasize on defense since the road trip from hell.
These moves provide depth and more options for putting lines together for the playoffs.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I cannot remember a Flyer with more weird opinions on him than Gudas and I don't even mean quality of play. It's a completely different animal than not liking Carter for reasons, loving Danny Markov like a son, anything else like that. It's reality distortion territory. There are probably people out there who would swear he's never had a beard.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
It's funny when you enter a thread and read fancy stat folks talk about how Grant is the Ducks worst player, lol.

He's been one of the Ducks best forwards all year. Common misconception is that he's some grinder/plug, when he's more of a 2-way forward and doesn't actualy hit all that much anymore. He's good on the penalty kill, where he breaks up plays and even scores goals. Basically he does everything well. Makes good passes with the puck, rarely turns it over, his hands aren't terrible and he even displays some hand-eye in front of the opposing goalie. I disagree with other Ducks fans that he's a fast skater, but he gets around it with good smarts.

Every Ducks fan wanted him re-signed. But this summer is gonna be his big chance of cashing in some in free agency.
What line did he play on for you fellas.

Edit: Seems like the 4th line pretty consistently judging by a number of GDT I looked at. Which doesn't help a possible "ok maybe he was overmatched on 3rd line duty" type thing.

What's funny is that the fancy stats that us fancy stat people look at show a really, really poor player. Though you are right in him not turning the puck over, only credited with 10 giveaways in 42 games. But you know how iffy those giveaway/takeaway counting stats are

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I cannot remember a Flyer with more weird opinions on him than Gudas and I don't even mean quality of play. It's a completely different animal than not liking Carter for reasons, loving Danny Markov like a son, anything else like that. It's reality distortion territory. There are probably people out there who would swear he's never had a beard.

Don't understand why, his strengths and weaknesses were pretty obvious.

Strengths:
1) really physical player, and got smarter after the suspension, stands people up at the blue
2) experienced, doesn't make too many mistakes, plays within himself
3) really nice wrist shot from the point, gets the puck on net with a heavy, sinking hsot

Weaknesses:
1) Not that strong, tough but average size for a stay at home defenseman so he can struggle in the crease
2) Average skating and athleticism, not L Schenn slow, but not a candidate for the Ice Capades
3) Not a great passer or puck handler, best when his partner handles the bulk of those duties

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
LOL the dude who completely didn’t get my point of my original post but focused on something different is calling ME clueless. :laugh:
What "point" did I miss exactly? A lazy, untrue narrative?
What’s funny is we traded away somebody who was big and slow (Gudas) for someone who was more mobile and people still complained at the time too.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
What "point" did I miss exactly? A lazy, untrue narrative?

The point was people don’t want to let a trade progress before they start crying about how bad it is. But please continue.

If you think Gudas is such a great skater go ahead and keep thinking that. Just do me a favor and watch a replay of game 6 versus Pittsburgh from 2018. You can see how “lazy and untrue” it is.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Worth mentioning the hidden aspect of this. Trading Criscuolo opened a contract slot. I doubt the Ducks demanded him, unless they were adamant about wanting players for an AHL playoff push (San Diego is 4th place in the division). At any rate, we needed the extra spot if we were to sign both Laczynski and Allison when their seasons end.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
10000% yes.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
its like he made a trade, just to say hey I made a trade at the deadline,

even if it doesn't do anything to improve our team.

I'd be shocked if he sticks his finger up in the air, can he guess which way the wind is blowing.
Depth is an improvement. We've tried multiple players. Vorobyev, Rubtsov, Twarynski, Kase, Andreoff, and so on. None of them belong in a playoff series. You don't want to rely on them in case of an injury.
At least Thompson and Grant have the experience.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Depth is an improvement. We've tried multiple players. Vorobyev, Rubtsov, Twarynski, Kase, Andreoff, and so on. None of them belong in a playoff series. You don't want to rely on them in case of an injury.
At least Thompson and Grant have the experience.
Yes, Grant with 4 PO games. Great experiences for playoffs.

My god.

These people always be defending players like Weise, Gordon, Varone, VandeVelde, Grant, Thompson. ALWAYS.

And always same result. They are bad and they will be bad. And we have better player in organization. As always.

Do you remember when Lehtera was in instead Oskar because of experiences? Weise in 2nd insteak TK? And a lot of examples in last decade.

But not.

ALWAYS DEFENDE these 4th liners because of GRIIIT and experiences!

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
According to twitter he's been promoted to the 2nd line since Farabee was sent down

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
Yes, Grant with 4 PO games. Great experiences for playoffs.

My god.

These people always be defending players like Weise, Gordon, Varone, VandeVelde, Grant, Thompson. ALWAYS.

And always same result. They are bad and they will be bad. And we have better player in organization. As always.

Do you remember when Lehtera was in instead Oskar because of experiences? Weise in 2nd insteak TK? And a lot of examples in last decade.

But not.

ALWAYS DEFENDE these 4th liners because of GRIIIT and experiences!

Yet here we have people bashing 2 players who haven’t even played a single game in the orange and black and pretend like that attitude is any better?

Philly Fanatik

"They're going home!"
Jun 24, 2017
Clarenville,NL,Canada
The Flyers are essentially playing meaningful hockey for the next 20 games to be assured a playoff spot...
nothing guaranteed yet!
With saying that,I have no problem with demoting a 6ft 163 pound 19 year old rookie that plays a somewhat skilled game for a big body 6ft 3 206 pound player that can contribute in a variety of different skill sets and can move up and down the lineup for you...and alter his game that suits the situations in a crucial game!
If I were AV...I would not be comfortable with three or four flyweights in the lineup playing big important playoff like games over the next month or so!

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The point was people don’t want to let a trade progress before they start crying about how bad it is. But please continue.

If you think Gudas is such a great skater go ahead and keep thinking that. Just do me a favor and watch a replay of game 6 versus Pittsburgh from 2018. You can see how “lazy and untrue” it is.
I never called Gudas a great skater. You called him slow.

It's hard to take your "point" seriously when you take Niskanen's real legitimate weakness, foot speed, overexaggerate Gudas skating, who you could probably count on one hand how many times he lost a foot race, and compare the two. It makes you look as if you have no idea why that trade has worked out for the Flyers so far.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Meh, you can probably find numerous gifs of Ghost being beaten in foot races by fast players the last two years.
Saheim, Myers and Provorov are our three fastest defensemen.
Gudas last year was probably our slowest, similar to Hagg and slower than AMac.
Niskanen and Braun aren't speed merchants, but they're fast enough.

flyersfan018

Mar 2, 2011
NJ
I never called Gudas a great skater. You called him slow.

It's hard to take your "point" seriously when you take Niskanen's real legitimate weakness, foot speed, overexaggerate Gudas skating, who you could probably count on one hand how many times he lost a foot race, and compare the two. It makes you look as if you have no idea why that trade has worked out for the Flyers so far.

Yea let’s just use a 5 second clip with no context instead.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Niskanen is a great example of the lasting power of puck skills and hockey sense after physical tools are on the decline. He’d be close to cooked at this stage of his career if the former were average. But they’re not, and he’s a big contributor this season. But it isn’t with his skating.

He's typecast as a PMD, so he must have plus skating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad