Confirmed with Link: Derek Grant obtained from Anaheim for Criscuolo + 4th

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Our new 4C’s baby: (cuz you need two...)

View attachment 326295
"depth moves"

One is whatever. 2 is dumb. Saves us from Andyoff which is something (and definitely big time saving us from Bitch Stewie) but is it really a save from Andyoff? Are these guys that much better than someone like him? Marginally....

Thompson's relative xGA/60 is the 2nd worst forward on the Habs in 180 minutes of 5 on 4 PK at +1.66. Not good. At 5 on 5 he is just not that good either. Seems like he bounced around on the 3rd and 4th lines so maybe MAYBE if he stays on the 4th line he is less overmatched and a little more effective, like a Laughton type issue.

Grant is horrendous turning in the worst, by far, rel xGF% and CF% on the Ducks. he's an effective PKer though with a relative xGA/60 at -1.1.

Don't worry guys the guys on NHL network are saying these are great moves. Grant "wins faceoffs and can punch guys in the head" and "both acquisitions will help the Flyers get back to their identity" because clearly they need to get back to their identity of the Broad Street Bullies (I assume that this is what they mean) because this new identity has done so much damage at 35-20-7 and actually putting some heat on the Pens and Caps for 1st in the division

Last edited:

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
The 4th and 5th round price tag is ironic, because they're now the 4th and 5th best option on the team to play 4C

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
"depth moves"

One is whatever. 2 is dumb. Saves us from Andyoff which is something (and definitely big time saving us from Bitch Stewie) but is it really a save from Andyoff? Are these guys that much better than someone like him? Marginally....

Thompson's relative xGA/60 is the 2nd best forward on the Habs in 180 minutes of 5 on 4 PK at +1.66. So he could step in as an option on the PK at least. At 5 on 5 he is just not that good. Seems like he bounced around on the 3rd and 4th lines so maybe MAYBE if he stays on the 4th line he is less overmatched and a little more effective, like a Laughton type issue.

Grant is horrendous turning in the worst, by far, rel xGF% and CF% on the Ducks. He's also their worst 5 on 4 PKer in terms of relative xGA/60 at -1.1.

Don't worry guys the guys on NHL network are saying these are great moves. Grant "wins faceoffs and can punch guys in the head" and "both acquisitions will help the Flyers get back to their identity" because clearly they need to get back to their identity of the Broad Street Bullies (I assume that this is what they mean) because this new identity has done so much damage at 35-20-7 and actually putting some heat on the Pens and Caps for 1st in the division

Thank you DP. Seeing a lot of folks putting lipstick on these pigs and it’s very confusing

Reactions: DancingPanther

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
guys, it's DEPTH. you get one guy who can bump Bunnaman down to the AHL (he'll be a fine 4th line center for the future, but i dunno if i'd trust him come playoff time) and another guy who's a decent option as your 13th forward.

i agree that if this results in NAK or Farabee getting healthy scratches come playoff time, we can all be upset. but you didn't give up much here, it doesn't mess with the team chemistry too dramatically, and you have more options down the middle. i don't understand a lot of the butthurt posts that i've read. i also don't put too much stock in some of their advanced stats being bad - especially Grant's. badly coached bad teams will provide bad results. that doesn't mean the player is inherently bad.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Congrats guys, Grant is everything you want from a 4th line center and then some.

Don`t look at those fancy stats too much. Grant often started in Dzone and very reguralry cleared heavy minutes.
He skates fast, takes a lot of ice, can score.
I thought we addressed that issue with previous trade?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Bunnaman is nothing special and is likely benefitting from Raffl and NAK, but he has a positive xGF% since his recall. Compare that to Laughton who is at -7.42 over the same time period (quick someone bump his contract thread and point out the bad takes).

Not sure you could expect much better than that given his role (and not like there aren't other internal options behind him).

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Thank you DP. Seeing a lot of folks putting lipstick on these pigs and it’s very confusing
As long as the new acquisitions don't get lumped into "He'll hardly play. It won't even make a difference!" They exclaim territory, it's whatever. The Grant trade annoys me more than the Thompson trade, mainly because of the 4th rounder.

The 5th is whatever. But a 4th and 5th for these guys? Again I'm not saying the room is burning but I'm not terribly excited either. I'd be much less vocal (let it be clear I'm not seeing red here like Bitch Stewie for example) if they ONLY made the Thompson trade.

Reactions: Benji007

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Flyers add depth at center, get Nate Thompson, Derek Grant
With little cap space to work with, Fletcher added Nate Thompson from the Montreal Canadiens for a 2021 fifth-round pick and Derek Grant from the Anaheim Ducks for South Jersey native Kyle Criscuolo and a fourth-round pick in 2020.
Thompson, 35, is a pending unrestricted free agent with a $1 million cap hit who has four goals and 14 points in 63 games for the Canadiens while averaging 12:48 of ice time. He has 62 games of playoff experience, mostly with the Ducks between 2015 and 2017.
Grant, who turns 30 in April, is also on an expiring contract worth $700,000. He has a career-high 14 goals with the Ducks averaging 13:52 of ice time.
It’s unclear exactly how Alain Vigneault will alter his depth chart
moving forward. Connor Bunnaman seems destined to be headed to the Lehigh Valley Phantoms, although he did practice with the Flyers Monday.
Grant may end up either being the third- or fourth-line center, which would make Thompson either a fourth-line center or extra body. Scott Laughton, who prefers to play wing and the Flyers prefer to see him there, may end up moving out of the center position with the moves.​

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would be fine with Grant OR Thompson at 4C.

I said as much the other day that the only move I thought Fletcher NEEDED to make was upgrading 4C.

Acquring TWO 4C's is certainly odd though lol

Do they move Laughton back to wing and try Grant at 3C?

Or might Thompson be a healthy scratch?

I'm a bit confused. If both are in the lineup it forces NAK or Raffl out and I don't think they want to do that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Terrible moves. Frost and Patrick are better options.

Patrick is not cleared for contact yet let alone a lineup option.

Frost is top 9 or bust. They wouldnt use him in a 4th line capacity. Have not all season. It's his 1st pro season and he's better off as 1C in AHL getting big minutes than he is playing 10 min a night in NHL. He's also not a PK option at NHL level yet and you want your 4C capable of PKing / winning draws.

But I would have been fine with Frost at 3C and Laughton at 4C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad