Player Discussion David Quinn: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'd buy into this logic if last night's offensive resurgence was let by the kids. But it wasn't.
Was Quinn restricting Zibanejad last year when he was on the pace for 60 goals over the whole season? Was Panarin being restricted last year too?

All im saying is that he's an over-communicator. I agree with you - there is evidence to what you are saying - just look back, they were 5th in the league in scoring last season. This isnt about Mika.

However when it comes to the kiddies there may be some truth to how some fans are reacting to the play of Laf and Kakko. I think he wants them to be well rounded players instead of "letting them go". Personally I think there is nothing wrong with that.

All along I've been in the patience camp. I dont think he's killing the kids and its all on him. I just think these are two very young and very talented hockey players that are developing in a very unprecedented time. I dont think their stat line would be that much different if they were on another team, I really dont.

Reactions: kovazub94

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yeah, and I am not trying to pile onto Quinn here, I’m just saying that high pressure is simply not a part of a Quinn system.
I agree. My point is just that not everything is system based. It’s not particularly hard to believe that anyone on the bench, player or coach, noticed the flyers were struggling miserably handling the puck at the points and pointed it out.

We’re in the mindset of scrutinizing a system so that’s how things are getting catalogued, but things happen on the ice outside of the head coaches plan and system set ahead of time.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I said before the game started last night that a game without Quinn was a good chance for the players to step up and take ownership (something we've been sorely lacking for half the games this season).

I don't think it's an indictment on Quinn that they did. They're still playing his system, and the actual usage may have been even more skewed in the direction that people get pissed at him about.

But whether Quinn is a hindrance or a boon to the team, I think that we desperately needed some kind of an identity as a group; and players being put in a position where they feel they know the system better than the guys behind the bench could really facilitate that.

If we do come into our own with that "swagger", I suspect that it will remain when Quinn returns. But let's wait until the two Capitals games before we decide that they're actually finding a higher level more consistently.

Honestly the idea of removing the entire coaching staff for a couple games sporadically throughout the season actually sounds quite intriguing to me. I worked as a stage actor for four years, and every director I ever had was very hands on and involved, but as soon as they gave us notes after opening night, then that was it; it was our show then. And it really helps people see things as a whole at those times, instead of their own selfish little pieces of a composition. Having the coaches sit a handful of times a season may actually have benefits for the lockerroom and for the guys' understanding of the system (and perhaps even the coach's).

Edit - not that that would ever happen, but I genuinely like the idea a lot.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I agree. My point is just that not everything is system based. It’s not particularly hard to believe that anyone on the bench, player or coach, noticed the flyers were struggling miserably handling the puck at the points and pointed it out.

We’re in the mindset of scrutinizing a system so that’s how things are getting catalogued, but things happen on the ice outside of the head coaches plan and system set ahead of time.
I mean look at Vigneault though. He wouldn’t make an adjustment with a gun to his head. Knew that from when he was he, and he proved it again while getting throttled last night.

I’m very interested to see what this team looks like against the Capitals.

Reactions: haveandare

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
He lost a ton of weight (look at his team photo taken this year, he looks like hes on deaths door) and was getting knocked off of the puck by a whisper.

He can say what ever he wants, but the impacts were pretty clear. This wasn't the guy who played last year, or the year before that or really at any point in his career. He may have gotten those minutes, but he really struggled, literally looked like a Howden clone for a good bit there. He shouldn't have gotten those minutes, but thats another conversation entirely.
Joe and Sam said he dropped weight on purpose in the offseason. Wasn’t all due to being sick.

Reactions: duhmetreE

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
First, of course he'd say that he doesn't have lingering effects - he's a hockey player who doesn't do excuses - this is not soccer.
Second, the circumstances (i.e. Chytil's injury) forced Quinn to continue to slot him as 1C - he only had Strome, Howden and Rooney behind him.
You would hear something. Even non fatigue related. Whether he lost his taste or smell, which also happens. I’m not saying covid had nothing to do with his start. But I don’t think it was the entire cause like many do. In the end we can only speculate anyway. I’m not his Dr. neither is anyone else on here I imagine. If he did have long term side effects I doubt the teams doctors and trainers would let him return so fast with a full work load.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
All im saying is that he's an over-communicator. I agree with you - there is evidence to what you are saying - just look back, they were 5th in the league in scoring last season. This isnt about Mika.

However when it comes to the kiddies there may be some truth to how some fans are reacting to the play of Laf and Kakko. I think he wants them to be well rounded players instead of "letting them go". Personally I think there is nothing wrong with that.

All along I've been in the patience camp. I dont think he's killing the kids and its all on him. I just think these are two very young and very talented hockey players that are developing in a very unprecedented time. I dont think their stat line would be that much different if they were on another team, I really dont.

Agree with bolded completely.

Not sure if their stats would be the same on another team but I'd doubt they'd be better prospects long-term for it.

Reactions: CLW

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Absolutely NOT true. I saw clean passing into the offensive zone over and over, a fierce forecheck creating 2 on 1s. I saw us play faster, use our skill. None of that dump the puck and retreat nonsense. You are wrong.

You’re just saying you don’t recognize how badly the Flyers were playing. All of the stuff you said would be how they always would look with no resistance from the defense.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Not actually...that bad...

upload_2021-3-18_23-33-16.png

I think the Avs are on a collision course for the moon though.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
While the Flyers d certainly helped, the Rangers still played relaxed unlike Ive seen them in a while.

It surely helps to relax when your goalie makes key saves in the first and looks solid to protect 2:0 lead after first, and then the team quickly makes it 3:0 early in the second.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It surely helps to relax when your goalie makes key saves in the first and looks solid to protect 2:0 lead after first, and then the team quickly makes it 3:0 early in the second.
You mean giving up a beach ball of a shot from 50 fee out in the first 2 minute of the game (multiple times) is not a good thing?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
LOL...maybe the Flyers were trying to get AV fired ? We may have the game results all wrong. We'll see what transpires against the Caps....3 0f 4 points would be SWEEEEEEEEEEEET ! Go RANGERS ! I think though if Trouba sets up a trio of Caps on a 3 on 0 against Georgiev....odds are it will go in this time . Bonehead play of the season or very close .

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Next time dont follow Quinns plan please, just do your own Knoblach. He certainly did head scratching stupid textbook Quinn shit like having the 4th line on Ovie for both goals late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad