Player Discussion David Quinn: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Being a complaint from AV days is one thing. I do not remember this team playing like this with Quinn. We were relentless and that was his motto the first 2 years.
I don’t know how to prove it without digging through tons of years old posts which I really don’t have the time to do or think is worth doing.

This team didn’t seem very relentless to me last year. Mika scored more and the team offense was stronger, but they were pretty sloppy all over most of the time imo.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I think everyone can agree here that if you read between the lines of Lindgren's comments its clear he thinks David Quinn is a sociopath who steals candy from little children and rips the Do Not Remove tags off mattresses whenever they stay at hotels on roadtrips.

I happen to think little kids steal DQ's candy because of uh..Smartz
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don’t know how to prove it without digging through tons of years old posts which I really don’t have the time to do or think is worth doing.

This team didn’t seem very relentless to me last year. Mika scored more and the team offense was stronger, but they were pretty sloppy all over most of the time imo.
We remember two different seasons then. We were relentless and never gave up. Being down 4-0 meant nothing. On a somewhat side-not.. Quinn has mellowed. He had a lot more fire his first couple of years

We were sloppy and we still are somewhat. Our defense.... was like watching Philly last night

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Here's the story about last night. We came out flat again. Our goalie who typically gives up a soft goal didn't give up one early in the game or late in the first period. Our top center, who has been in a funk, broke out of that funk. And the opponent played one of the worst games of hockey you'll ever see. Literally nothing else was different about last night than most of the other games this season. The structure and system were certainly the same. The ice time usage was the same... if anything, the problems we've seen there were even more that way.

I think there probably is a connection between Quinn not being there and Zibanejad breaking out, but the connection is that it was the mental push Zibanejad needed to break through. The goaltending issue is entirely on the goalie. The mental break through for Zibanejad is entirely on Zibanejad.

I'm open to this not being the case if we see a couple of games without Quinn, Zibanejad performs the same, and then Zibanejad goes back into the same funk when Quinn comes back, but I'd be pretty surprised to see that.
Absolutely NOT true. I saw clean passing into the offensive zone over and over, a fierce forecheck creating 2 on 1s. I saw us play faster, use our skill. None of that dump the puck and retreat nonsense. You are wrong.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What I keep thinking about it Knoblauch saying that he used the Quinn system and he plays the Quinn system at Hartford. Which is fine and good. If people want to correct me on this go right ahead but last night I saw much more of an identity/traits of an identifiable system than I have seen under Quinn.

Specifically if I had to pick one thing out, the team was putting a ton of pressure, consistently, high up the ice on Philly’s Dmen/point men. This yielded several goals. Again correct me if I am wrong, but I have rarely seen Quinn press that high.

Just some food for thought.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
What I keep thinking about it Knoblauch saying that he used the Quinn system and he plays the Quinn system at Hartford. Which is fine and good. If people want to correct me on this go right ahead but last night I saw much more of an identity/traits of an identifiable system than I have seen under Quinn.

Specifically if I had to pick one thing out, the team was putting a ton of pressure, consistently, high up the ice on Philly’s Dmen/point men. This yielded several goals. Again correct me if I am wrong, but I have rarely seen Quinn press that high.

I was going to bring this up.

What system is he referring to? The system of the first 2 years? The relentless forecheck and pressure? or the Quinn/Martin system?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
His legs have been back for a while. His hands and strength on the puck have not been there for almost the entire season.

The Strength looks like its back too. He's been able to muscle guys off of him or use his body to separate someone from the puck and take it over. Did this in the last game in Boston and multiple times over the last 2 games.

He's still going shankzilla with the shot. That baffles me the most because the former 2 issues can definitely be tied to COVID where as this one? Not so much.
Honestly, I think the Covid stuff is a little overblown. He’s a high performance athlete. I know it affects everyone differently but those kind of guys bounce back quick. I think the whole offseason in general, no camp, pandemic, life, etc. I don’t think he trained as hard as he should have or wanted to. I think it’s just taken a lil more time to shake off the rust. He’s still a PPG center IMO.

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Honestly, I think the Covid stuff is a little overblown. He’s a high performance athlete. I know it affects everyone differently but those kind of guys bounce back quick. I think the whole offseason in general, no camp, pandemic, life, etc. I don’t think he trained as hard as he should have or wanted to. I think it’s just taken a lil more time to shake off the rust. He’s still a PPG center IMO. But coming into the year

This isn't true. I know someone who is a triathlete who got it a year ago. She still isn't 100%.

There are multiple pro MMA athletes who have had pretty severe lingering effects for months after the initial infection. Those are some of, if not the most in shape humans on the planet.

If anything, with the level of stress a pro athlete puts their body through, getting over COVID can be harder to recover than the average person. It sounds like Mika was infected just before the start of camp. His symptoms were more severe than mild and he jumped right into the lineup on day 1 and has been getting his normal usage.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This isn't true. I know someone who is a triathlete who got it a year ago. She still isn't 100%.

There are multiple pro MMA athletes who have had pretty severe lingering effects for months after the initial infection. Those are some of, if not the most in shape humans on the planet.

If anything, with the level of stress a pro athlete puts their body through, getting over COVID can be harder to recover than the average person. It sounds like Mika was infected just before the start of camp. His symptoms were more severe than mild and he jumped right into the lineup on day 1 and has been getting his normal usage.
I know. That’s why I said it affects everyone differently. But law of averages with high performance athletes NHL, NBA, MLB. Etc. Overall, when they get covid they bounce back quick because they are in peak shape and take care of themselves. As well as the general population. The people hit hardest are the ones with pre-existing conditions, immune systems compromised by other illnesses, severe allergies, etc. not talking about specific individual cases. That could go on and on and on

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I know. That’s why I said it affects everyone differently. But law of averages with high performance athletes NHL, NBA, MLB. Etc. Overall, when they get covid they bounce back quick because they are in peak shape and take care of themselves. As well as the general population. The people hit hardest are the ones with pre-existing conditions, immune systems compromised by other illnesses, severe allergies, etc. not talking about specific individual cases. That could go on and on and on

What law of averages has to do with one specific case?

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
What law of averages has to do with one specific case?
I’m saying Zibby himself said he was fine and suffering no lasting effects even though many on he kept harping on it. If he was suffering major side effects from covid he wouldn’t be playing 20 minutes a night against the best players in the world. IMO it had more to do with no camp, missed training, and quite possibly an injury he sustained when he was drilled on the empty net goal or in the 2nd or 3rd game of the year when we all thought he might be concussed but wasn’t.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Well the vets absolutely sent a STRONG message to the front office tonight.

FIRE QUINN.
Only a blind person would have a different opinion on that after watching them play with the jump they had last night . The disconnect with Quinn is indeed REAL !!! If we win the next two games over the Caps....is that proof enough ? Do we wait for a loss with Quinn behind the bench before he is fired ? Can we afford to throw a game to prove that point on the disconnect ?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Dont have the time today to scour the previous pages in this thread, but im absolutely sure this has been mentioned.

Zibs comment about "not having too much information or a lot of talk" - to "just go out and play" definitely leads you to believe that Quinn is an over-coacher. I could totally see that.

And that falls into how some blast him for his "treatment" of the youngens. I dont think that's all negative, the kids need to learn the game.

Quinn is an over-communicator. I think that is a fact and not something the fans are assuming. We hear Sam and Joe talk about it and the FO brought it up when he was hired.

I think there are a lot of positives to it, but from and X's and O's standpoint he may over do it a bit. That part of it im assuming - but I'm reading between the lines here.

I also don't think that one single game with a new coaching staff is going to throw sunshine on DQs shortcomings either. To me last nights torching was more of an indictment of the Flyers complete lack of team play and effort than any coaching wizardry the AHL staff whipped up.

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Absolutely NOT true. I saw clean passing into the offensive zone over and over, a fierce forecheck creating 2 on 1s. I saw us play faster, use our skill. None of that dump the puck and retreat nonsense. You are wrong.
Hard to tell too much honestly because we saw one of the most pathetic efforts in a long time from the other team. It’s easy to pass clean when you’re alone in the zone.

This is a great point. I wonder if that was something focused on prior or if they just pressed on it once it became clear their d-men were having trouble with those situations. Beyond that, was it a coach instruction or something the players noticed snd pressed on?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’m saying Zibby himself said he was fine and suffering no lasting effects even though many on he kept harping on it. If he was suffering major side effects from covid he wouldn’t be playing 20 minutes a night against the best players in the world. IMO it had more to do with no camp, missed training, and quite possibly an injury he sustained when he was drilled on the empty net goal or in the 2nd or 3rd game of the year when we all thought he might be concussed but wasn’t.

First, of course he'd say that he doesn't have lingering effects - he's a hockey player who doesn't do excuses - this is not soccer.
Second, the circumstances (i.e. Chytil's injury) forced Quinn to continue to slot him as 1C - he only had Strome, Howden and Rooney behind him.

Reactions: haveandare

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Dont have the time today to scour the previous pages in this thread, but im absolutely sure this has been mentioned.

Zibs comment about "not having too much information or a lot of talk" - to "just go out and play" definitely leads you to believe that Quinn is an over-coacher. I could totally see that.

And that falls into how some blast him for his "treatment" of the youngens. I dont think that's all negative, the kids need to learn the game.

Quinn is an over-communicator. I think that is a fact and not something the fans are assuming. We here Sam and Joe talk about it and the FO brought it up when he was hired.

I think there are a lot of positives to it, but from and X's and O's standpoint he may over do it a bit. That part of it im assuming - but I'm reading between the lines here.

I also don't think that one single game with a new coaching staff is going to throw sunshine on DQs shortcomings either. To me last nights torching was more of an indictment of the Flyers complete lack of team play and effort than any coaching wizardry the AHL staff whipped up.

I'd buy into this logic if last night's offensive resurgence was let by the kids. But it wasn't.
Was Quinn restricting Zibanejad last year when he was on the pace for 60 goals over the whole season? Was Panarin being restricted last year too?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

He lost a ton of weight (look at his team photo taken this year, he looks like hes on deaths door) and was getting knocked off of the puck by a whisper.

He can say what ever he wants, but the impacts were pretty clear. This wasn't the guy who played last year, or the year before that or really at any point in his career. He may have gotten those minutes, but he really struggled, literally looked like a Howden clone for a good bit there. He shouldn't have gotten those minutes, but thats another conversation entirely.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
What some of you are doing is called rationalizing, aka talking out of your ass but let's see how they do against the Caps who have won like 10 out of the last 11 with the very coach I wanted and thought he would've been a perfect fit for this team but..

Let's see how they fare.

Usually, where there's smoke, there's fire so we shall see..

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Honestly, I think the Covid stuff is a little overblown. He’s a high performance athlete. I know it affects everyone differently but those kind of guys bounce back quick. I think the whole offseason in general, no camp, pandemic, life, etc. I don’t think he trained as hard as he should have or wanted to. I think it’s just taken a lil more time to shake off the rust. He’s still a PPG center IMO.
also he got married in the summer. Obviously made him worse

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hard to tell too much honestly because we saw one of the most pathetic efforts in a long time from the other team. It’s easy to pass clean when you’re alone in the zone.

This is a great point. I wonder if that was something focused on prior or if they just pressed on it once it became clear their d-men were having trouble with those situations. Beyond that, was it a coach instruction or something the players noticed snd pressed on?
Yeah, and I am not trying to pile onto Quinn here, I’m just saying that high pressure is simply not a part of a Quinn system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad