Player Discussion David Quinn: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If people are lukewarm on Quinn but spend 90% of their posts responding to his critics and patronizing them then I guess they're just trolls with nothing better to do.

So, what you’re saying is that you can’t recall anyone loving Quinn, you’re upset that they disagree with some of your premises and push back against them?

And you believe this is done in an effort to troll you due to a lack of other social engagements?

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
If people are lukewarm on Quinn but spend 90% of their posts responding to his critics and patronizing them then I guess they're just trolls with nothing better to do.

You just wrote that Quinn lovers (a faction that does not exist) only like him because they think he's handsome and charming lol

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You just wrote that Quinn lovers (a faction that does not exist) only like him because they think he's handsome and charming lol

This!!!!

Like I keep hearing how there’s this love affair for Quinn and people go out of their way to “attack” the people who want him fired.

And yet day after day I see things like this, or posts that are obviously worded in a way to generate a reaction. Then when the reaction comes, it’s like “Why is everyone attacking me?”

Because when things like this are posted, or someone tries to come up a cute nickname for others, or when someone literally comes on here and says, “hey where you at?”, guess what?

People are gonna respond!

And as someone who would rate DQ about a 6 out of 10, it’s almost feels like a faux argument sometimes and it’s kind of weird at this point.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I saw the comment that the first islanders game "was not really a good look for anybody, including Quinn" get responded to as being too harsh.

As usual the cartoonishness is both sides of the aisle: whomever's willing to stoop to it.

Reactions: tomobson

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So, what you’re saying is that you can’t recall anyone loving Quinn, you’re upset that they disagree with some of your premises and push back against them?

And you believe this is done in an effort to troll you due to a lack of other social engagements?

Well someone did just call him a good coach which is unfounded. How often do you see people overtly say that they love the coach? I'm not upset that they disagree with some of my premises but when you comment on every criticism that anyone has of him and patronize the people that criticize him, what am I supposed to think about that? If you can take Quinn or leave him but respond to every criticism of his (and it's not just mine) then you're either trolling or have nothing better to do. Most people that don't care one way or another about the coach wouldn't spend that much time defending him.

Reactions: duhmetreE

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This!!!!

Like I keep hearing how there’s this love affair for Quinn and people go out of their way to “attack” the people who want him fired.

And yet day after day I see things like this, or posts that are obviously worded in a way to generate a reaction. Then when the reaction comes, it’s like “Why is everyone attacking me?”

Because when things like this are posted, or someone tries to come up a cute nickname for others, or when someone literally comes on here and says, “hey where you at?”, guess what?

And as someone who would rate DQ about a 6 out of 10, it’s almost feels like a faux argument sometimes and it’s kind of weird at this point.

I wouldn't post stuff like that if I wasn't constantly patronized by a few of his supporters. But at this point, the guy has done zilch for this franchise the only explanation is that people like him personally. And there are posters that do the exact same thing. "Are we still ruining him?" That's a common post I see attacking people that criticize Quinn. Is that not a post that's there only to elicit a reaction? That's not even a comment directly aimed at me. I've seen that sarcastic comment over and over and yet it's his detractors that are apparently trolling.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I saw the comment that the first islanders game "was not really a good look for anybody, including Quinn" get responded to as being too harsh.

As usual the cartoonishness is both sides of the aisle: whomever's willing to stoop to it.

Well... ironically that comment was made by me, who is probably perceived as one of the biggest Quinn supporters on here. The poster who said it was too harsh also essentially said that his assessment was the same, but the language was subjective (or, a matter of degree)... there wasn't a disagreement there.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
At some point you have to see what you have in Kakko and Lafreniere. Kravtsov, Gauthier too. Even Chytil.

I get the 'sheltering' aspect, and I understand why some are still optimistic about the players—especially Lafreniere who looks to be exactly the player he was billed as: impossible to 'ruin.'

But part of the build has to be getting these players into situations that you're counting on them to be long term fixtures in—or if not counting on, at least needing to know whether they can be long term fixtures there.

You have to let them make mistakes, let them bite off a bit more than they can chew. The gift of having such talented veterans on the team shouldn't be any longer that they do everything and the kids can learn to sit on the bench and watch NHL games up close. I can and should be a way to insulate and support them by letting the young kids play with those players who can take up some of the burden, cover mistakes, and help them learn the way to play in this league.

Just my opinion, but this is my only gripe with Quinn more or less. I don't hate the guy or think he's garbage; just as I don't think any coach off the street would do differently. But in that case, you need to pick your guy so that he too will buy into the long-term vision and needs of this franchise.

Nobody should've expected a better finish overall than where we're at, and I spent a lot of time before the season arguing with a few people about us being a lot closer to the Buffalos and NJs of the world than the Pittsburgh's and Boston's. Nobody wanted to hear it then... On the other hand, it's not just about winding up in the standings where our overall talent would likely place us: it's how we get here and how the individual parts are looking—especially the one's we expect to be here for long.

Like, maybe Kaapo Kakko isn't that good and won't ever be. On the other hand, he went from the worst defensive forward in the league to being better than Jesper Fast in one offseason as a teenager (by common metrics). The kid clearly has talent and drive. I give Quinn credit for this—I also don't see Kakko's improvement earning him much of anything....

I do think a lot of what you're talking about here is the next step in the process that JD loves to talk about. I don't know that was the plan for this year, though. Particularly because of the abbreviated schedule. I wouldn't be shocked if, on their calendar, they had next year pegged as the time to start elevating these guys a bit more. It might have been the plan for the back end of a full season, and we've seen some evidence of that with Lafrenière and Kreider swapping spots.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
This!!!!

I think it’s safe to say both sides are being ridiculous at this point with their respective extremist arguments. However, the fact that most Quinn supports rate him at a 5-6/10 speaks volumes to his ability to coach the team. Me personally, I believe a team with the resources they possess can find someone with both the developmental abilities as well as the ability to draw up the X’s and O’s. Short of getting rid of all the veterans who fail or refuse to employ Quinn’s “system” there is not much to do at this point. I believe we need a new voice and direction for the team.

Reactions: CLW

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I think it’s safe to say both sides are being ridiculous at this point with their respective extremist arguments. However, the fact that most Quinn supports rate him at a 5-6/10 speaks volumes to his ability to coach the team. Me personally, I believe a team with the resources they possess can find someone with both the developmental abilities as well as the ability to draw up the X’s and O’s. Short of getting rid of all the veterans who fail or refuse to employ Quinn’s “system” there is not much to do at this point. I believe we need a new voice and direction for the team.

The problem with finding coaches who excel at both is that the established ones aren't going to take a developmental job, because they don't have to, and the unestablished ones may or may not be as good as advertised at both in the NHL. No way to tell until they're in the league.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and CLW
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->