Player Discussion David Quinn: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
have you not been watching the games? We've slept walk at an alarming rate.

I've watched every game. This coming out flat has been a Ranger problem since the Tortorella era. I honestly have no idea why it's been this way for the last three coaches. But I'm not getting this sleepwalking thing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Here's the story about last night. We came out flat again. Our goalie who typically gives up a soft goal didn't give up one early in the game or late in the first period. Our top center, who has been in a funk, broke out of that funk. And the opponent played one of the worst games of hockey you'll ever see. Literally nothing else was different about last night than most of the other games this season. The structure and system were certainly the same. The ice time usage was the same... if anything, the problems we've seen there were even more that way.

I think there probably is a connection between Quinn not being there and Zibanejad breaking out, but the connection is that it was the mental push Zibanejad needed to break through. The goaltending issue is entirely on the goalie. The mental break through for Zibanejad is entirely on Zibanejad.

I'm open to this not being the case if we see a couple of games without Quinn, Zibanejad performs the same, and then Zibanejad goes back into the same funk when Quinn comes back, but I'd be pretty surprised to see that.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Here's the story about last night. We came out flat again. Our goalie who typically gives up a soft goal didn't give up one early in the game or late in the first period. Our top center, who has been in a funk, broke out of that funk. And the opponent played one of the worst games of hockey you'll ever see. Literally nothing else was different about last night than most of the other games this season. The structure and system were certainly the same. The ice time usage was the same... if anything, the problems we've seen there were even more that way.

I think there probably is a connection between Quinn not being there and Zibanejad breaking out, but the connection is that it was the mental push Zibanejad needed to break through. The goaltending issue is entirely on the goalie. The mental break through for Zibanejad is entirely on Zibanejad.

I'm open to this not being the case if we see a couple of games without Quinn, Zibanejad performs the same, and then Zibanejad goes back into the same funk when Quinn comes back, but I'd be pretty surprised to see that.

Agree. He had a career year last year with the same staff, in a shortened season. What could they have done to him from last year to this one to cause such a dramatic fall? Doesn't make sense. He's also been skating much better the last few weeks. I think it was Covid, he lost a ton of weight and just looked out of it up until a week or two ago.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Is anyone really making the case that Mika "broke out" last night because Quinn wasn't there?

The only issue I've seen discussed here re: Mika and Quinn is how heavily Quinn used him while he was clearly riding the struggle bus. That helped no one.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't agree with any of this but I think we can both agree that it would be great to see last night's coaching staff for both games against the Caps. This way we see if it's the new coaching staff (i doubt it) or if last night was a combo of Zib finally breaking out and Philly just playing a poor game.

To me it's more than just performance. If there were some dissatisfaction with Quinn's coaching (or a need for different approach) then having a different group that includes AGM Drury we should expect something radical and not something that has been a part of Quinn's arsenal so far.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Mika was an issue. Mika and the offense having a breakout game without Quinn behind them, is amusing.

Are we pretending that we didn't look lifeless for how many periods/games? lost count. Those things get swept under the rug? That never happened last year. It's a common occurrence this year... it's become almost an expectation at this point.

We do not know what to expect this weekend... that in of itself is telling
Selective memory maybe. This team came out flat just as much the last number of years. It’s been a common complaint through multiple coaches.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
To me it's more than just performance. If there were some dissatisfaction with Quinn's coaching (or a need for different approach) then having a different group that includes AGM Drury we should expect something radical and not something that has been a part of Quinn's arsenal so far.

I also think if there were any amount of noticeable dissatisfaction with coaches from the players something would have been leaked by now.

Reactions: haveandare

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
to be fair to Quinn, they played the 2nd period on Monday the same way they played last night. they were explosive with tons of offensive chances. the difference was really the goaltending and then Philly gave up once it was 6-0.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Outside of Zib looking like the Zib of old last night, and maybe Georigiev playing like an NHL goaltender, I don't think too much should taken from last night's game. But I'm excited to see what they do this weekend.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I've watched every game. This coming out flat has been a Ranger problem since the Tortorella era. I honestly have no idea why it's been this way for the last three coaches. But I'm not getting this sleepwalking thing.
We did not look like this last year

Selective memory maybe. This team came out flat just as much the last number of years. It’s been a common complaint through multiple coaches.
I don’t remember seeing this last year

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Outside of Zib looking like the Zib of old last night, and maybe Georigiev playing like an NHL goaltender, I don't think too much should taken from last night's game. But I'm excited to see what they do this weekend.
its funny how all 3 Zib goals were on breakaways/off the rush, in close goals. He's still not "back" until he starts scoring from distance like he did the last 2 years. However what was very noticeable was his legs, he looked so fast last night. Great to see.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
its funny how all 3 Zib goals were on breakaways/off the rush, in close goals. He's still not "back" until he starts scoring from distance like he did the last 2 years. However what was very noticeable was his legs, he looked so fast last night. Great to see.

His skating has been noticeably better the last few games, for sure. And I'd take goals deflecting off his head at this point. One step at a time.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Again this is nonsense.

They are not going to radically change anything when the actual HC is going to come back any day now. Not to mention that this was a last minute thing so even if they wanted to, there wouldn't have been time to implement anything drastically different.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

His legs have been back for a while. His hands and strength on the puck have not been there for almost the entire season.

The Strength looks like its back too. He's been able to muscle guys off of him or use his body to separate someone from the puck and take it over. Did this in the last game in Boston and multiple times over the last 2 games.

He's still going shankzilla with the shot. That baffles me the most because the former 2 issues can definitely be tied to COVID where as this one? Not so much.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
His skating has been noticeably better the last few games, for sure. And I'd take goals deflecting off his head at this point. One step at a time.
Definitely, not gonna look a gifthorse in the mouth. But one of the reasons I felt confident that Zib wasn't a fluke last year is because he was scoring from everywhere. Breakaways, off the rush, on the Powerplay, from the slot, from the circle, from the blueline... its not like he was David Clarkson out there or even Anders Lee scoring 40 garbage goals in the paint.

His issues this season are not simply shot% regressing to the average, he legit has forgotten how to shoot the puck, especially on the one timer.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Definitely, not gonna look a gifthorse in the mouth. But one of the reasons I felt confident that Zib wasn't a fluke last year is because he was scoring from everywhere. Breakaways, off the rush, on the Powerplay, from the slot, from the circle, from the blueline... its not like he was David Clarkson out there or even Anders Lee scoring 40 garbage goals in the paint.

His issues this season are not simply shot% regressing to the average, he legit has forgotten how to shoot the puck, especially on the one timer.

He couldn't miss last year, lol. I get that he wasn't going to shoot at the same percentage this season but man, he looked beyond terrible on those one-timers. It's one thing if they don't all go in at the same rate as last season, it's another to see every one of them flubbed or shot 23 feet wide.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Again this is nonsense.

They are not going to radically change anything when the actual HC is going to come back any day now. Not to mention that this was a last minute thing so even if they wanted to, there wouldn't have been time to implement anything drastically different.

No, non-sense is baselessly stating that there's dissatisfaction or disconnect with organizational levels.

Reactions: Leetch3

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

It wasn't a thing the year before either. They legit sucked in Quinn's first year, but they played hard.

It was a thing towards the end of AV's tenure. The Philly game the other night was not the norm with this team. Most of the times they've started flat, they've stayed flat.

Also this notion that they started flat last night is not one I agree with. The period got away from them a bit after they scored the first goal and even more so after the 2nd, but they started okay. It was a conservative start, but not a flat one.

Trueblue30

Jan 31, 2009
Rangers are way too talented offensively to be shut out as much as they have been this season. Didn’t we only get shutout once last year ?

I was willing to give Quinn this year to see if things could move in a positive direction but I really don’t think they have.

rangers quite simply have a better roster than the islanders and even the penguins. The difference is coaching

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No, non-sense is baselessly stating that there's dissatisfaction or disconnect with organizational levels.

No one said this, no need to make shit up.

It's clear that you didn't understand what I said since reading seems to be a problem for you, so let me try again (try to keep up)

Team is 'rebuilding' - FO throws a ton of money at Panarin, Trouba and Kreider within less than a calendar year. I get that you don't want to have a team of all kids, but this is an incredibly expensive way of solving that issue which will undoubtedly cause issues down the road, especially if some of the young kids really pop. Panarin has been great, but you're gambling on those 3 guys still being close to what they are when the other players catch up which leads me to...

Team hires a coach to help teach and develop young players - coach leans on veteran players, even when they aren't performing. Not to mention plugging up spots in the top 6 and PP1 doesn't give the kids a chance to get any of those minutes. I know the counter argument is that "they haven't earned it" but they haven't really been given the opportunity to either. It's not like the vets have done what needs to be done to keep their minutes either, at least on the PP.

Coach preaches "pressure all over the ice and working into high traffic areas" team does the opposite. This isn't really new either.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No one said this, no need to make shit up.

It's clear that you didn't understand what I said since reading seems to be a problem for you, so let me try again (try to keep up)

Team is 'rebuilding' - FO throws a ton of money at Panarin, Trouba and Kreider within less than a calendar year. I get that you don't want to have a team of all kids, but this is an incredibly expensive way of solving that issue which will undoubtedly cause issues down the road, especially if some of the young kids really pop. Panarin has been great, but you're gambling on those 3 guys still being close to what they are when the other players catch up which leads me to...

Team hires a coach to help teach and develop young players - coach leans on veteran players, even when they aren't performing. Not to mention plugging up spots in the top 6 and PP1 doesn't give the kids a chance to get any of those minutes. I know the counter argument is that "they haven't earned it" but they haven't really been given the opportunity to either. It's not like the vets have done what needs to be done to keep their minutes either, at least on the PP.

Coach preaches "pressure all over the ice and working into high traffic areas" team does the opposite. This isn't really new either.

This lends credence to the whole "overcoaching" argument. Players played more instinctively than overthinking about making mistakes.

Reading between the lines, which I admit, makes it my own take, it’s almost like saying “we didn’t have to fear playing our own games for once”. Also “play for each other” makes it sound like they’re doing that in this particular game and not every game, as opposed to (I guess?) playing for Quinn in other games? They should be playing for each other every night regardless of the coach.

I imagine there’s a couple of Quinn true believers out there. Personally, I think this is fairly good evidence that, whether Quinn’s coaching is an issue or not, the team doesn’t play for him and felt better/more free/whatever with him not there tonight.

At least you own to the part where you said disconnect. And my personal favorite around here "I know... but..."

As to the bolded - Do you need posters to literally say "dissatisfied with the coaching" or you can infer from the above?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I don’t know what to tell you. This has been a common complaint here for years, last year included. Whether it was true then or is now is another question but it’s been said for years

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don’t know what to tell you. This has been a common complaint here for years, last year included. Whether it was true then or is now is another question but it’s been said for years
Being a complaint from AV days is one thing. I do not remember this team playing like this with Quinn. We were relentless and that was his motto the first 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad