Player Discussion David Quinn: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Everything is Ok! Quinn is the best! 27th ranked PP that is costing the team games...who cares! Howden isn’t terrible! In-game management is no problem! Dump and chase style is great! Team not consistently showing up ready to play all season long and last season, thats perfectly fine!

Where did anyone, TB included, say any of this?

Reactions: haveandare

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don’t think it’s Strome that’s an issue with PP1 even though he’s a righty. He’s a rally good passer and has puck-handler. (Caps have Backstrom in that spots and it’s fine).

The issue is Zibanejad’s slap shot that he can’t seem to fix.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
I don’t think it’s Strome that’s an issue with PP1 even though he’s a righty. He’s a rally good passer and has puck-handler. (Caps have Backstrom in that spots and it’s fine).

I don’t think it’s Strome particularly that’s the problem. We just need a lefty and if it’s between Kreids, Zib, Panarin, Strome or Fox, Strome is the one who makes the most sense to swap out for lefty Buch who is leading the team in points as is.

Reactions: RGY and will1066

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Backstrom is a lefty so yeah, the situations aren't the same.

But even if you want to key in on Zibanejad's shank fest this year, it would make more sense to add a shooting threat on the other side since it gives you another option to go to.

Reactions: RGY

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
They only score when the play breaks down and Strome passes to Panarin, or Fox is able to get a wrister through. It's too easy to defend and no one moves. Need that threat of a Left handed one timer to open things up for Panarin. Strome is always left wide open because the D has much more time to react and they key on Panarin.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
They only score when the play breaks down and Strome passes to Panarin, or Fox is able to get a wrister through. It's too easy to defend and no one moves. Need that threat of a Left handed one timer to open things up for Panarin. Strome is always left wide open because the D has much more time to react and they key on Panarin.
Like a Keith Yandle.

Oh wait...

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

He’s a good passer, and an okay stick handler. Almost zero shooting threat.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Backstrom is a lefty so yeah, the situations aren't the same.

But even if you want to key in on Zibanejad's shank fest this year, it would make more sense to add a shooting threat on the other side since it gives you another option to go to.

Certainly, or replace Zibanejad as the shooting with someone else leaving Strome on PP1 whether in this spot or another because he’s able to create dangerous chances.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Tony was quite efficient at moving with puck in tow effortlessly back and forth across the blueline and in doing so he would shift the defense as he moved and that is where his quick passes had a bigger impact then Fox passes do right now . That extra second or so the defense needed to shift or catch up made for better attempts from Mika and Panarin on the one timers . Argue away....although in time I think Fox will become every bit as good as ADA was when he was here last season as the PPQB .

Reactions: Chytilmania

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I don’t think it’s Strome particularly that’s the problem. We just need a lefty and if it’s between Kreids, Zib, Panarin, Strome or Fox, Strome is the one who makes the most sense to swap out for lefty Buch who is leading the team in points as is.

Strome is the only one connecting with panarin for the one timer, if anyone should be bumped for a lefty its mika.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Fox has rough time setting up Panarin. He can't setup the right side because the RHS is a handicap. He's also sometimes too slow and methodical with the puck when it would benefit us to move the puck quickly. These are observations... dont blow it out of proportion.

You could tell what the gameplan is for most teams. Quick puck movement to create angles in high% scoring areas... Sometimes are PP lacks that direction.

Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Strome is the only one connecting with panarin for the one timer, if anyone should be bumped for a lefty its mika.

Agree. Yeah, LHS on the right wall is preferable but it’s not the the ISSUE with the Rangers PP1. The issue is Mika’s one-timer. PP will continue to suck if they only decide to deal with secondary symptoms instead of a true issue.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Here's the issue I have with Quinn-- He's riding the vets rather than developing the kids. And I know, the response to that is always that the players need to earn those minutes.

Chytil's production rate is way up this season. He's putting up a point about every 27:30 of ice time (up from ~38:45 last year). He's seeing a minute LESS per game than he did last year.

Laf? He gets a minute and a half less time per game than Hughes did last year. Also? Even though Hughes struggled mightily, he led his team in PPTOI, getting 3:11 per game (compared to Laf's 1:54). Kakko got 2:14 PPTOI last year, and even though he's improved by leaps and bounds defensively, his PPTOI time has been cut back to 1:28.

Quinn can pull guys aside 1v1 all he wants, but he won't play them in games until they are fully developed and they won't fully develop until they can get some real minutes in games. No matter what he says to them in practice, his actions on game day say that he doesn't trust them, and that's a problem. Everyone wants to look at the production rate for Kakko and Laf compared to previous 1st and 2nd overall draft picks--more telling is the low TOI/G and specifically PPTOI/G. Previous teams let their top picks figure it out.

Apologies for the rant-y tone. Just emerged from a grading marathon and I'm grumpy, haha.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Agree. Yeah, LHS on the right wall is preferable but it’s not the the ISSUE with the Rangers PP1. The issue is Mika’s one-timer. PP will continue to suck if they only decide to deal with secondary symptoms instead of a true issue.
It absolutely a large part of the issue. The PP is too one dimensional, too obvious, too much of a one trick pony. I explained this 1-2 pages back in a previous post, the significant importance of having a lefty on the right wall for multiple reasons.

And as I said earlier, its not even me taking my jab at Strome, its just a matter of circumstance that he should be moved to the PP2. Although I find it fascinating that people still think he is a must on the PP1 because the thought is he is consistently teeing up Panarin, better than anyone else...when that is just not the case. If anything there are a plethora of forced cross ice passes that do not make it through cleanly. With how well Zibanejad is playing, I am keeping him on PP1 where is in the bumper spot and rotating around and hunting loose pucks in the corner. Strome simply does not fit the bumper spot well.

Buch, Kakko, Laf. There are plenty of lefty options.

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
You know, quite a few posters have you on ignore. For awhile I thought maybe they were just being unreasonable... but the truth is you just blindly defend the shortcomings of this team until no end while putting out garbage trying to be funny like “#Quinnderangementsyndrome”
Whew. Not sure who I need to thank for that. But that certainly is good news.

In reading this thread, for the handful of good points that are made, the rest seem like drivel and nothing but ranting.
Everything is Ok! Quinn is the best! 27th ranked PP that is costing the team games...who cares! Howden isn’t terrible! In-game management is no problem! Dump and chase style is great! Team not consistently showing up ready to play all season long and last season, thats perfectly fine!
This is part of what I mean. Ok. PP has been putrid. Let's blame Quinn! Fine. No problem. But then shouldn't you praise him for the PK?

Are there things on the PP that I think could be done better? Of course. But having your top center spend most of the season as a picture on a milk carton, does not help. Having Panarin miss 40% of the season, does not help. Missing out on a dynamic player like DeAngelo does not help.

Who friggin' cares about Brett friggin' Howden? He plays less than 13 minutes a game. There have been times that unfortunately he was pressed into playing a role that was not a 4th line role. But overall, he is a 4th liner. Were he never to have suited up, you know how many more wins would have resulted for the team? Zero. Who are you so hot and heavy to play there? Do I like him? No. Is it a big deal? No.

Dump and chase? Really? The next time they dump or chase may well be the first time. Their offense is predicated to generating offense off the rush. Just like it was with AV.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Whew. Not sure who I need to thank for that. But that certainly is good news.

In reading this thread, for the handful of good points that are made, the rest seem like drivel and nothing but ranting.

This is part of what I mean. Ok. PP has been putrid. Let's blame Quinn! Fine. No problem. But then shouldn't you praise him for the PK?

Are there things on the PP that I think could be done better? Of course. But having your top center spend most of the season as a picture on a milk carton, does not help. Having Panarin miss 40% of the season, does not help. Missing out on a dynamic player like DeAngelo does not help.

Who friggin' cares about Brett friggin' Howden? He plays less than 13 minutes a game. There have been times that unfortunately he was pressed into playing a role that was not a 4th line role. But overall, he is a 4th liner. Were he never to have suited up, you know how many more wins would have resulted for the team? Zero. Who are you so hot and heavy to play there? Do I like him? No. Is it a big deal? No.

Dump and chase? Really? The next time they dump or chase may well be the first time. Their offense is predicated to generating offense off the rush. Just like it was with AV.

I'm probably even outlier re. PP issue. IMO as long as Zibanejad continues to struggle with one-times - it won't matter if Strome is replaced with a lefty.

Otherwise, I agree. Howden ice time is not any kind of significant factor on the team as a whole, and only has a marginal (not main) impact of ice time given to PDG, Lemiuex or Gauthier.

Last edited:

effen

Feb 3, 2018
the team dumps and chases because of a disconnect in their transition game, not because it's actually what they're trying to do generally speaking. This is why they're in the NZ 3 on 4, and dump it in 1 on 3 or 2 on 3 and have the puck go the other way with such regularity. they get stood up at the blue line, they're pretty transparently ~always trying to carry it in

quinn's first year they *actually* were a dump and chase team and had long stretches of puck possession because they had numbers to do so.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
the team dumps and chases because of a disconnect in their transition game, not because it's actually what they're trying to do generally speaking. This is why they're in the NZ 3 on 4, and dump it in 1 on 3 or 2 on 3 and have the puck go the other way with such regularity. they get stood up at the blue line, they're pretty transparently ~always trying to carry it in

quinn's first year they *actually* were a dump and chase team and had long stretches of puck possession because they had numbers to do so.
Agreed. I’m pretty sure every team dumps and chases as a last resort when there’s no clean entry to be made. The issue is that this team ends up in that position too often unless Fox or Panarin is able to work their magic and skate it in. I don’t think purposely dumping and chasing is a systemic decision really except maybe for the 4th line which isn’t unusual or that bad an idea

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Isn't that a symptom of the system failing? If you do not regularly have the support, structure and/or options, you will inevitably dump it in... as it's your only 'option'.

Our puck movement is sluggish and puck support has always been an issue. Play without the puck in the O-zone has been an issue as well.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Isn't that a symptom of the system failing? If you do not regularly have the support, structure and/or options, you will inevitably dump it in... as it's your only 'option'.

Our puck movement is sluggish and puck support has always been an issue. Play without the puck in the O-zone has been an issue as well.
All of that is true to varying degrees. A good amount of it will get cleared up as the roster matures and gets better awareness on where to be, regardless of specific gameplan. They are slow to act because they are slow to anticipate, generally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad