Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh well Oilers had a chance to lock him up long term for cheap but instead chose to Bridge him.

Was fun watching him play. Hope he enjoys his new team
Nurse was asking for 6+ before, he wasn't worth it then and he isn't worth it now. I guarantee not a single team in the league would give him 8. I've liked Nurse a bit this year, good player to keep, not good enough for what he thinks he is worth

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Nurse was asking for 6+ before, he wasn't worth it then and he isn't worth it now. I guarantee not a single team in the league would give him 8. I've liked Nurse a bit this year, good player to keep, not good enough for what he thinks he is worth

Probably could have went 5.25 with an 8 yr deal.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Probably could have went 5.25 with an 8 yr deal.
All signs pointed to that being a no go from Nurses camp. He wanted big money, team said no. They went bridge and now he wants even more money and he isnt even worth what he was asking for in the first place. Guy clearly has an ego. Find it funny that the moment the rumor comes out he wants 8 mill his game falls apart again

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
All signs pointed to that being a no go from Nurses camp. He wanted big money, team said no. They went bridge and now he wants even more money and he isnt even worth what he was asking for in the first place. Guy clearly has an ego. Find it funny that the moment the rumor comes out he wants 8 mill his game falls apart again

Naw never did. But carry on believing that

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Nurse is not even worth 6mill at this point. 6 mill and above is meant for legit top pairing D. There aren't too many of those.
I'm pretty sure that he's worth 6ish on a long term deal. We can't let this guy walk now. We dont have anyone with toughness back there, larson comes close but he won't pound anyone if they get smart around our goalie.

Nurse has been a slow learning d. With age and entering his prime years as a d, it's a no brainer to think he will trend up, due to the mental side maturing.

Pronger became a force over 25.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Agreed with this. He has changed his game a bit. He’s a physical player. But I agree he isn’t worth that.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Nurse is not worth 8 million. Nope. Needs a better toolbox to get that kind of cash.

Nurse never asked for 8 million. Trouba is a compairable, agents throw out the high end, GM's bring out the low end. It is just negotiaion.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Nurse never asked for 8 million. Trouba is a compairable, agents throw out the high end, GM's bring out the low end. It is just negotiaion.

Trouba isn't even close to a comparable. He was far more experienced than Nurse as a top pairing Dman (22+ minutes for 6 straight seasons) and had a 50 point season to his credit before signing the contract.

Josh Morrissey is the comparable, very similar trajectories although very different styles. Add in a little cap inflation and you have roughly $6.5m on a max term deal. That's the absolute most I can stomach on a Nurse deal and even that I think is a bit too high.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Trouba isn't even close to a comparable. He was far more experienced than Nurse as a top pairing Dman (22+ minutes for 6 straight seasons) and had a 50 point season to his credit before signing the contract.

Josh Morrissey is the comparable, very similar trajectories although very different styles. Add in a little cap inflation and you have roughly $6.5m on a max term deal. That's the absolute most I can stomach on a Nurse deal and even that I think is a bit too high.

The last three seasons Trouba and Nurse are very compairable for both roles and production(Nurse had 41 pts last season after Klefbom got hurt).
Compairables are exactly what they are, defensmen playing a similar role and the AGENTS not the players do the negotiating. Nurse is not the one chatting up Ken Holland about money, no players on the planet do this and anyone that thinks Nurse is asking for that much clearly do not understand the role of the agent.

Hockey players sign off on the final deal, but they are pretty hands off negotiation wise.

Essentially anyone stating Nurse is asking for 8 million are incredibly uninformed, to the point of ignorance.
Nurse will not be getting 8, that is a starting point for the agent and chances are Holland's starting point is between 4 -5.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The last three seasons Trouba and Nurse are very compairable for both roles and production(Nurse had 41 pts last season after Klefbom got hurt).
Compairables are exactly what they are, defensmen playing a similar role and the AGENTS not the players do the negotiating. Nurse is not the one chatting up Ken Holland about money, no players on the planet do this and anyone that thinks Nurse is asking for that much clearly do not understand the role of the agent.

Hockey players sign off on the final deal, but they are pretty hands off negotiation wise.

Essentially anyone stating Nurse is asking for 8 million are incredibly uninformed, to the point of ignorance.
Nurse will not be getting 8, that is a starting point for the agent and chances are Holland's starting point is between 4 -5.

When Bob mckenzie puts his 2 cents in the mix it goes beyond just agent shenanigans.

The reason the Oilers didn't sign Nurse long term was cap restraints, unconvinced of the players top end, and Nurse wanting more than he is worth.

We all just can only speculate but from all the info I've seen Nurse does have an Inflated opinion of his play and wants big money.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Trouba had twice as much experience as Nurse did in a top pairing role, that's a HUGE difference. These contracts are about the entire body of work and trajectory, not just the last couple of years, and Trouba's body of work and trajectory was far more impressive.

In any event, the 8x8 number (if true) is typical negotiations with the agent starting with a high offer and the team countering with a low so I wouldn't put too much stock into that number. What I'm saying though is that anything over 6.5M on an 8 year deal is an overpay and quite honestly, 6.5M is an overpay but I can respect that it's his market value roughly.

I like Nurse for what he is and he seems to be one of the team leaders but you can't just open the vault for a Dman with as many flaws in his game as Darnell has. I'd love to see him locked up at a reasonable number but if he and his agent get unreasonable, it might be time to explore the trade market.

Reactions: ivanlwan and Zaddy

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
When Bob mckenzie puts his 2 cents in the mix it goes beyond just agent shenanigans.

The reason the Oilers didn't sign Nurse long term was cap restraints, unconvinced of the players top end, and Nurse wanting more than he is worth.

We all just can only speculate but from all the info I've seen Nurse does have an Inflated opinion of his play and wants big money.

Wow, you just created a narrative out of nothing to bury Nurse(there is zero evidence that Nurse has an inflated sense of his play). Bottom line is Nurse is more important to this team right now then any defensman not named Bouchard or Bear. And again, Nurse is gonna get paid but he is not the one asking for the huge money, the combination of his agent and the market do that.

I get that you are a big Klefbom fan, but do not make up crap about players to fit a narrative.
Fact is is Klefbom has had a brutal season 5 on 5 and last night he pulled probably the worst dive I have seen in years, got out muscled all night and helped kill our PP for the second game in a row. Nurse is a way better guy to represent us then Diver Klefbom, pay the man.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Trouba had twice as much experience as Nurse did in a top pairing role, that's a HUGE difference. These contracts are about the entire body of work and trajectory, not just the last couple of years, and Trouba's body of work and trajectory was far more impressive.

In any event, the 8x8 number (if true) is typical negotiations with the agent starting with a high offer and the team countering with a low so I wouldn't put too much stock into that number. What I'm saying though is that anything over 6.5M on an 8 year deal is an overpay and quite honestly, 6.5M is an overpay but I can respect that it's his market value roughly.

That is exactly what I have been saying all along. Agents ask for the money. With the cap going up salaries will go up. A 4 million defender now will be approx 6 - 6.5 on the market. Nurse will get paid market value after his next two year bridge deal, which is about the amount of time it will take Holland to balance the roster.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Wow, you just created a narrative out of nothing to bury Nurse(there is zero evidence that Nurse has an inflated sense of his play). Bottom line is Nurse is more important to this team right now then any defensman not named Bouchard or Bear. And again, Nurse is gonna get paid but he is not the one asking for the huge money, the combination of his agent and the market do that.

I get that you are a big Klefbom fan, but do not make up crap about players to fit a narrative.
Fact is is Klefbom has had a brutal season 5 on 5 and last night he pulled probably the worst dive I have seen in years, got out muscled all night and helped kill our PP for the second game in a row. Nurse is a way better guy to represent us then Diver Klefbom, pay the man.

Lol.

Ugh. Despite a narrative that I "hate" Klefbom, which was never true, I also am most certainly not a fan boy either. I'm very unbiased when it comes to Klefbom. He sucked last night, but Nurse was not good either, the whole team stank it up.

While I'm not a "fan boy" of Nurse either if we are talking personal preferences i take Nurse over Klefbom for "intangibles" and "potential".

However.

Having said all that Klefbom has been significantly better than Nurse in most the ways that matter the last couple years. When Klefbom gets injured Nurse struggles in that top pairing role. Even in his second pairing role Nurses overall play leaves much to be desired.

Neither are the kind of defensemen that is considered top tier... but Klefbom makes 4... He is a steal at that price. Nurse would have to get exponentially better to make even 6.5 per year a bargain. He just has not shown enough to bet that he will be a great defenseman and anything over 6 long term imo needs that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Bob McKenzie said they're working on a two year deal under $6M because of cap concerns. He didn't even slightly hint at this bogus $8M number.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Bob McKenzie said they're working on a two year deal under $6M because of cap concerns. He didn't even slightly hint at this bogus $8M number.

That doesn't make any sense because they aren't getting much cap savings on a bridge deal as opposed to a long term deal. $1m max if the bridge is 6m?
Furthermore, they have plenty of cap space to sign Nurse to a ridiculous long term contract if that's the route they take. Not sure what "concerns" Bobby Mac is alluding to.

Reactions: Aerchon

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Lol.

Ugh. Despite a narrative that I "hate" Klefbom, which was never true, I also am most certainly not a fan boy either. I'm very unbiased when it comes to Klefbom. He sucked last night, but Nurse was not good either, the whole team stank it up.

While I'm not a "fan boy" of Nurse either if we are talking personal preferences i take Nurse over Klefbom for "intangibles" and "potential".

However.

Having said all that Klefbom has been significantly better than Nurse in most the ways that matter the last couple years. When Klefbom gets injured Nurse struggles in that top pairing role. Even in his second pairing role Nurses overall play leaves much to be desired.

Neither are the kind of defensemen that is considered top tier... but Klefbom makes 4... He is a steal at that price. Nurse would have to get exponentially better to make even 6.5 per year a bargain. He just has not shown enough to bet that he will be a great defenseman and anything over 6 long term imo needs that.

I disagree on the "struggles" you talk about. Statistically speaking last season when Klefbom went down Nurse matched Klefbom's career high while only getting first unit time on the PP for half the season and finished statistically better then Klefbom in almost every aspect. The thought that Klefboms contract is a steal is a myth to that goes away when you look at how much he has actually played. The guy has had one full season since we drafted him and that is at every level. We are essentially paying him 4 million a season for 60ish games a year. That is not a bargain, that is a rip off.

Klefbom is soft as butter, and now you can add diving to his resume, that attempt at drawing a penalty last night should embarass every Oiler fan out there. Show some damn pride in the sweater Klefbom.

The team struggles when Klefbom gets hurt because before we had no options and had a top pairing and zero after. The myth that Nurse struggled when Klefbom got hurt is just that, a myth. The team after the top pairing had no middle pairing. Now we have options.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
That doesn't make any sense because they aren't getting much cap savings on a bridge deal as opposed to a long term deal. $1m max if the bridge is 6m?
Furthermore, they have plenty of cap space to sign Nurse to a ridiculous long term contract if that's the route they take. Not sure what "concerns" Bobby Mac is alluding to.

We still need to sign good players to play here and if Nurse right now gets paid that much it will not be good for two years. In two years we should not be overpaying for our bottom pair (Russell at 4 million is tough) and we should be able to get a top six forward that we will have to pay for, plus re signing Nuge and Klefbom is gonna be asking for a big chunk of change in 2 years (he will also be looking at that 8-9 range).

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Ahhhh.

Math is our friend.

Quote was potentially a two year deal with an average cap hit "just under 6 mill" because the Oilers can't afford to sign Nurse long term...

2 year bringing Nurse to UFA is the most desperate stupid move that is only considered if Nurse actually wants 8. It is the cheapest term you can pay for and they are still talking 6 million. Calculate how much more a player wants for 8 years of UFA status instead of 2 and you get at least 8.

If the agent is being unreasonable and Nurse really will sign for 6 long term Im going to guess Nurse will miss training camp because it's a big gap between 6x8 and 8x8...

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

He is an RFA for those two seasons, so I think it's possible he signs under $6M like Bob is saying. He has arbitration rights and I can't see him being awarded anything close to $6M, so I could see him signing something around $5.5M instead. That's still a decent chunk of change in difference compared to what he would cost on an 8 year deal.

I doesn't make a ton of sense to me either, but I'd trust Bob McKenzie eons before I'd trust Jim Matheson.

This is the only source behind the "Nurse is demanding $8M" rumour that's going around. Someone sourced it an article, then someone else sourced that article, etc, etc. until the actual source is gone and no one wants to fact check it. "Journalism" in 2020 in a nut shell.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad