Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Nurse is one of those guys where there are a number of people who only focus on the negatives. Dude is a good young defenseman. He's not Chris Pronger, but that's OK. He does a lot of good things on the ice, don't hold it against him because at this stage of his career he can't carry a defense on his lonesome.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I haven't really complained much about Nurse this year.

With everything wrong with this team, I don't understand how Nurse could even be considered one of the top 10 issues with this club.

space321

May 11, 2011
Nurse is one of those guys where there are a number of people who only focus on the negatives. Dude is a good young defenseman. He's not Chris Pronger, but that's OK. He does a lot of good things on the ice, don't hold it against him because at this stage of his career he can't carry a defense on his lonesome.

I'm guilty of this. He ices the puck so much when he's not even under pressure, and his "fake a shot then skate down the boards" move at the point is so overused. But like you said, he's probably our best Dman going forward to next season. I'm still holding out hope that Klefbom can regain his previous form if he stops getting injured. Both should be playing big minutes next season.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He gets better year by year. You can tell he comes from good pedigree...he works on himself in the off season properly.
This kid only gets better.
Unless the better is his defensive game. If he puts in the work defensively that he did offensively I'll lay off lol

Reactions: Raoul Duke

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The most obvious case since Jordan Eberle of some Oilers fans not realizing what they have until they don't have it anymore.

Just wish the guy would learn from his mistakes. His biggest flaws are constantly the same shit game in game out

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I like Nurse, and I expect good things in his future. He's clearly an NHL defenseman with considerable potential that, since last season, he's beginning to realize.

That said, he's been on the ice for more goals against his team than for his team for 4 years in a row and counting. The issue, of course, is that the Oilers lack depth in all areas (except maybe center) and are forced to overplay Nurse in situations where he isn't necessarily ready or best-suited.

But anyway, I like his skating, his offensive up-side, his toughness, and his level of 'compete'.

The niggling problem with Nurse is simply his hockey-IQ, which is kind of average. He doesn't always process the plays at full speed, and he frequently makes poor decisions at key moments.

He's just turned 24 and he (over-)plays for a thin team. I think we'll see Nurse at his best in about two or three years, hopefully still as an Oiler.

I just read this post because the thread was bumped.

I've read some weird stuff here but this takes the cake.

Where do you get your stats from.

Lets see, so far we have you don't watch many games but have all these hot takes, next you don't know how to read stats tables.

Nurse was +15 just last season, playing on a bad team. How is that on ice for more GA than for?

How is it possible to think that Nurse was an outscored player last season?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I've read some weird stuff here but this takes the cake.
Okay.
Where do you get your stats from.
Presumably the same place(s) everyone else does...?
Lets see, so far we have you don't watch many games but have all these hot takes, next you don't know how to read stats tables.
I didn't know that I don't watch many games.
Nurse was +15 just last season, playing on a bad team. How is that on ice for more GA than for?
Nurse was on the ice for 79 goals-for last season and 87 goals-against. I am obviously (or, obvious to most of us) not talking about plus/minus or five-on-five. I am talking about total goals for and against when Nurse is on the ice.
How is it possible to think that Nurse was an outscored player last season?
Because he was...?

I'm not sure why you're (once again) picking fights with me. The main point of my post (if I remember correctly -- I wrote it ages ago) was to say that Nurse is a good player.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Okay.

Nurse was on the ice for 79 goals-for last season and 87 goals-against. I am obviously (or, obvious to most of us) not talking about plus/minus or five-on-five. I am talking about total goals for and against when Nurse is on the ice.

Because he was...?

I'm not sure why you're (once again) picking fights with me. The main point of my post (if I remember correctly -- I wrote it ages ago) was to say that Nurse is a good player.
Imagine that, player who doesn't play on the PP and plays on the PK on the ice for more goals against than goals for.

Literally no one else thinks that way like you do.

Roman Josi
is a +9 at ES. but a -17 at SH.

So by your thought process he would be a shit player cause hes on the ice for more goals against than goals for.

Reactions: PGW and Drivesaitl

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Anyone wanting to trade Nurse has obviously not paid any attention to the organization over the last 15 years.

A team seriously lacking in talent doesn't get better by trading away it's only talented players. I'd much rather see Klefbom go be injured on another team if they're dead set on trading one of their good defensemen, but I think it's just more poor asset management again to trade any of them.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Anyone that thinks they should move Nurse probably thinks Koskinen is a good goalie too.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah I think in this case you just got to see this guy's development through. He's shown enough to earn some leeway.

Team gave up on Justin Schultz and Jeff Petry too early and they could use both those guys right now.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Nurse is such headache to watch on defence. His reads are so slow and by the time he makes a decision the opposition had enough time to cover the player he wants to pass to.

He sure can skate though. Can skate circles around most of our D. He even had a nice but fluky goal on Varlamov when he decided to go on a skate. But he also tends to turnover a ton as well. His favorite past time is going on adventures. Plus he can't keep a puck onside and he is also notorious in banking the puck to nobody which 9 out of 10 times lead to icing.

But I really like his skating and the 40 points that he will command for 6 mil+ salary by the end of next year.

I will gladly keep Nurse on the team for that much too if he:

-improves outlet pass (to the tape)
-make quicker decisions with the puck
-keep the puck onside
-maintain 40 point seasons
-improve gaps on forwards
- stop banking the puck

Now, for Defencemen who will probably command 6 million because of his point totals and his skating.

Is it too much to ask to see him improve in those areas I mentioned?
Other than maintaining 40 points in a season, everything else
I think, is rather rudimentary areas to improve on. He's 24, so he should still have room for improvement.

I pray that he does though. I really REALLY do want him to tighten his game because he has a whole bunch of intangibles and tools you don't want to give up.
But if there was ever an opportunity (in the realm of possibility which I doubt) to package him for a Josi or a Heiskanen or Seth Jones (Nurse has just as many points as Jones, So their about equal in talent and skill...right?....Right??).

It would of been done yesterday.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Okay.

Because he was...?

If you are uninformed as to include all pk stats for a player that was on the pk often, and was on the PP, and first unit PP far less (and the Oilers PP was shit anyway last season) then I can't help you. Again Nurse was +15 and yet you were bringing up Gf/GA as a criticism, when only one player on the whole club fared better EV, and he is a generational player.

EVERYBODY else when they talk about GF/GA speaks of EV minutes. To include selective PK, and PP is asinine when usage is not equal. If you do that, you're basically critiquing the utility of a young D that is on the pk inordinately, and often.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Imagine that, player who doesn't play on the PP and plays on the PK on the ice for more goals against than goals for.

Literally no one else thinks that way like you do.

Roman Josi
is a +9 at ES. but a -17 at SH.

So by your thought process he would be a **** player cause hes on the ice for more goals against than goals for.

Yep, thanks. Literally nobody else would post that, completely seriously, without thinking there was anything wrong with the logic.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
If you are uninformed as to include all pk stats for a player that was on the pk often, and was on the PP, and first unit PP far less (and the Oilers PP was **** anyway last season) then I can't help you.
What a pity you can't help me! My life was almost good there for a minute.
Again Nurse was +15 and yet you were bringing up Gf/GA as a criticism, when only one player on the whole club fared better EV, and he is a generational player.
For the third time -- since you keep missing it and pretending that I hate Nurse -- the point of my post was to praise Nurse and say that I like him. My bringing up the largely trivial matter of his in-ice goal discrepancy was to mitigate my praise of him and point out a few things about him that are not yet great. Since my own words are evidently over your head, I refer you to MettleMcOiler's post (just above), whose points I largely agree with.
EVERYBODY else when they talk about GF/GA speaks of EV minutes.
If I only I could do just like everyone else.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What a pity you can't help me! My life was almost good there for a minute.

For the third time -- since you keep missing it and pretending that I hate Nurse -- the point of my post was to praise Nurse and say that I like him. My bringing up the largely trivial matter of his in-ice goal discrepancy was to mitigate my praise of him and point out a few things about him that are not yet great. Since my own words are evidently over your head, I refer you to MettleMcOiler's post (just above), whose points I largely agree with.

If I only I could do just like everyone else.

I understood all along that overall you like Nurse. Just that the stat you posted was the most curious thing I've seen in awhile in view of a player that was +15 on a bad team. Nurse's EV stats and play were startling last season and even absorbing all the extra minutes and assignments in lieu of team injuries. So that it just jumped off the page that someone would post something like that, that he allows more GA than GF. I hope you can follow why your point of logic was misguided. I suspect you can.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Okay.

Because he was...?

lol

He counts penalty kills as goals against! Obvious bias agenda posting.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
So, I'm a Nurse fan but his contract demands are ridiculous.

His play this year pretty much proves he isn't a top pairing guy yet and still a ways from being one.

You can pay someone that kind of money to be 2/3 at best. He is getting closer to what he is going to be at his best.

8x8 is simply stupid.

But what would be even more stupid is paying Nurse "just under 6mill per" for 2 years and UFA status. That's so stupid it's gone plaid.

Why are the Oilers too cap strapped to give Nurse a raise? 7x7 with the way the cap is going should be doable?

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I'm guilty of this. He ices the puck so much when he's not even under pressure, and his "fake a shot then skate down the boards" move at the point is so overused. But like you said, he's probably our best Dman going forward to next season. I'm still holding out hope that Klefbom can regain his previous form if he stops getting injured. Both should be playing big minutes next season.
Stops getting injured? Injuries are his form. He has literally had one full season since we drafted him and that is at all levels.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I don't think Nurse should be getting 7 million. He's a really valuable guy but in the NHL points gets you paid as a dman and Nurse isn't an ideal PP option. His puck moving and offensive game outside of the rush holds him back from that kind of coin. I'm guessing the Nurse camp knows he's more comparable to guys like Lindholm, Morrissey, Schmidt and other young two way types who aren't PP demons and are just trying to set the bar high to make anything over 6 seem like a compromise. Nurse waited a while for his big deal and UFA years cost a bit but 6.5 for 8 years would be the tops he could honestly argue for. That Morrisey deal is a tough comp. for him to ignore.

Reactions: Aerchon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->