Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I would do 6x6, but still feel uneasy about it. I like the idea of a 3 year bridge at under 6M per, then revisit down the road.
His bridge contract is expiring this year. If you aren't willing to sign him long term now you might as well dump him as I dont know what else he can do to show he's a solid top 4 NHL defenseman.

People freaking out wanting to trade him cause he wants 8mil are out to lunch. Yeah,let's trade our only good players because some folks heard a random number and decided that is was fact.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
His bridge contract is expiring this year. If you aren't willing to sign him long term now you might as well dump him as I dont know what else he can do to show he's a solid top 4 NHL defenseman.

People freaking out wanting to trade him cause he wants 8mil are out to lunch. Yeah,let's trade our only good players because some folks heard a random number and decided that is was fact.
People are saying dump him instead of 8Mil per.

Reactions: Aerchon

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

There is a ton of smoke Nurse wants 8 x 8 or 6 x 2 and a quick trip to UFA status per Bob McKenzie. Those two proposals are dumb and dumber. If it comes to those options I trade Nurse and I am a big Nurse supporter.

Unfortunately prices are getting stupid. I would normally just assume it's nothing but the agent laying ground work but in too many situations players are getting these absurd deals.

I like Nurse a lot but I take Trouba over him everyday and twice on Sunday. Nurse just isn't there yet and from what he has shown this year, his contract year, may never be.

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines

It's not that I dislike him or think we shouldn't resign him. He's a second pairing defenseman and needs a contract that reflects that...and just because someone suggests trading him, it doesn't mean they don't like him or want to "dump" him. We could get something good back for him that also fills a need.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It's not that I dislike him or think we shouldn't resign him. He's a second pairing defenseman and needs a contract that reflects that...and just because someone suggests trading him, it doesn't mean they don't like him or want to "dump" him. We could get something good back for him that also fills a need.
He fills an incredible need for the team as it is.

When you negotiate, you start high. Most people don't expect to settle on the original suggestion, they meet somewhere inbetween. I really doubt he gets 8 million, and I feel like he's an integral part of the team on and off the ice and it would be a huge mistake not to exhaust every avenue to get him signed long term.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
Trading Nurse is a HUGE mistake. This guy is close to putting it all together. People may not like the math on a new contract but this guy needs to remain an Oiler.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
People saying 8 Mil is a starting negotiation and Oilers will counter with 6 or something is not typical. Ask 8 the counter would be something like 7.2 or 7.3 then end up between that. Agent isn't going to ask 2 Mil high they know about what the market will bare its their job. Nurse will need to be top line to be worth it.
Future Nurse and Bouchard might work. Who knows maybe Bear is our future number 1 he's doing darn good for his first full season.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Trading Nurse is a HUGE mistake. This guy is close to putting it all together. People may not like the math on a new contract but this guy needs to remain an Oiler.

All day this. We need guys that can play a lot of minutes with intensity. Functional toughness is not cheap. There are not a lot of players that can play those minutes, put up good points and police if things go south.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
I would do 6x6, but still feel uneasy about it. I like the idea of a 3 year bridge at under 6M per, then revisit down the road.

Rational take but i'd argue 6 million for a dman that can play top defensive assignments at 25 isn't that scary. Top 4 dman almost all make over 5 now. 6 million is like the new 4 million dollar dman, guys are getting 8-11 million to be top guys nowadays.

For Nurse I'd suggest if the number starts with a 6 the Oilers need to get max term. Young core players are the best guys to lock up long term. His physical gifts are elite and it's hard to argue he isn't a core piece and won't be moving forward. He's playing toughs with a rookie on a top team in the west and i think with experience he should only improve. I also don't mind the bridge if the Oilers are confident they can get him in the low 5's for 3 years and the longterm ask is unreasonable but it's not the best case scenario IMO.

Reactions: Aerchon

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
All day this. We need guys that can play a lot of minutes with intensity. Functional toughness is not cheap. There are not a lot of players that can play those minutes, put up good points and police if things go south.
Absolutely, I said Nurse would turn into a beast years back and it’s happening now. No way Holland lets this guy go.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
There is a ton of smoke Nurse wants 8 x 8 or 6 x 2 and a quick trip to UFA status per Bob McKenzie. Those two proposals are dumb and dumber. If it comes to those options I trade Nurse and I am a big Nurse supporter.

Unfortunately prices are getting stupid. I would normally just assume it's nothing but the agent laying ground work but in too many situations players are getting these absurd deals.

I like Nurse a lot but I take Trouba over him everyday and twice on Sunday. Nurse just isn't there yet and from what he has shown this year, his contract year, may never be.

That smoke is entirely from Jim Matheson speculating Nurse's camp would use Trouba as a comparable.

That "rumour" needs to die.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Oh well Oilers had a chance to lock him up long term for cheap but instead chose to Bridge him.

Was fun watching him play. Hope he enjoys his new team

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
Oh well Oilers had a chance to lock him up long term for cheap but instead chose to Bridge him.

Was fun watching him play. Hope he enjoys his new team
Yeah I knew we would get f***ed as soon as they bridged him. He's going to want even more for leaving money on the table during his last contract. The one thing in our favour is his play has dropped off the last 10 games. Hopefully sign him to something like 6x6.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Not defending Klefbom... but not the game to prop up Nurse either. He killed a ton of plays, made numerous gaffe, and was not on his game after the first ten.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not defending Klefbom... but not the game to prop up Nurse either. He killed a ton of plays, made numerous gaffe, and was not on his game after the first ten.
LOL who didn't? Did Klefbom not make any mistakes in your head? You're sooo biased

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Bear was our best defensman followed by Benning, the other four were brutal.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Bear was our best defensman followed by Benning, the other four were brutal.

I liked Laggesson as well.

He dropped his stick on one goal against but that goal is one any nhl goalie should be able to stop in their sleep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad