Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Klefbom is signed through 22/23, that's pretty far off. Bear isn't going to command a huge deal. Either you sign him to a cheap bridge deal, or go long-term on a value contract (similar to when Klefbom signed his deal originally).

RNH is really the only concern, but even if he is a top6 forward on a team lacking in top6 forwards, I don't see how you can justify signing him to anything over $7M long-term.

I actually think the Oilers are in a pretty good spot cap wise. Our D is really cheap. A lot of teams have a significant chunk tied up in their D, but the Oilers don't and shouldn't have any problems in that regard with the expiration of Russell's and Larsson's deals. Bouchard should be able to play next year and he'll be on an ELC, Bear will be relatively cheap, lots of other players coming in on ELC's too. Nurse will be the highest paid player among D and he really shouldn't be getting more than 6.5 per on a long-term deal.

Holland just has to make sure he doesn't overpay. I don't want to see more deals like the Kassian one. Unfortunately unbridled loyalty is one of Holland's weaknesses as a GM. If he keeps handing out the types of deals he did with the Red Wings, the Oilers will be in trouble. Can't afford to be sentimental and overpay guys like RNH and Nurse just to keep them around. Be smart and cut bait if they're asking for the moon. While good players, neither of them are cornerstone pieces of this team.
Two seasons is pretty far off?
Klefbom's contract at the time was a gamble, it paid off though but I would be very cautious about doing that too often, Bear will get what the market dictates. Kassian is making about 500 000 more then he should.
McD,Drai,Nuge,Klefbom,Nurse - that is the core of the team, it has been stated several times by Stauffer, Tippet and others. They are our equivelent to(not arguing who is better) to Kane, Teows,Seabrook,Keith,
Crawford. You do not win by ditching your core because they might cost you some money.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Two seasons is pretty far off?
Klefbom's contract at the time was a gamble, it paid off though but I would be very cautious about doing that too often, Bear will get what the market dictates. Kassian is making about 500 000 more then he should.
McD,Drai,Nuge,Klefbom,Nurse - that is the core of the team, it has been stated several times by Stauffer, Tippet and others. They are our equivelent to(not arguing who is better) to Kane, Teows,Seabrook,Keith,
Crawford. You do not win by ditching your core because they might cost you some money.

20/21, 21/22, 22/23. I'm not great at math but I'm pretty sure that is 3 seasons, not 2.

As for the bolded, you sure as shit aren't going to win if you overpay players who ultimately aren't driving forces on your team. It would hurt to lose RNH and Nurse and it would be my clear priority to keep both of them, but no way I'm comfortable dishing out $8M deals to either one of them. That would mean the team has little to no room for improvement since they will be up against the cap, so you're basically taking a gamble on that the guys we have in place now are good enough to go all the way. I don't see it.

As for your comparison to the Hawks, Keith was/is signed to an amazing deal while being the best defenseman in the league, and the Hawks won their final Cup before signing Kane and Toews to huge $10.5M deals, resulting in Toews becoming extremely overpaid. Same with the extension to Seabrook and alas they are no longer contenders. That's how you kill a successful team. Difference being the Hawks had 3 Cups, Oilers haven't even come close to 1 in the last decade. Money matters in the NHL and sometimes you have to make tough decisions and cut bait with guys who demand more than their contributions are worth.

Reactions: Debbie Mathers

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
20/21, 21/22, 22/23. I'm not great at math but I'm pretty sure that is 3 seasons, not 2.

As for the bolded, you sure as **** aren't going to win if you overpay players who ultimately aren't driving forces on your team. It would hurt to lose RNH and Nurse and it would be my clear priority to keep both of them, but no way I'm comfortable dishing out $8M deals to either one of them. That would mean the team has little to no room for improvement since they will be up against the cap, so you're basically taking a gamble on that the guys we have in place now are good enough to go all the way. I don't see it.

As for your comparison to the Hawks, Keith was/is signed to an amazing deal while being the best defenseman in the league, and the Hawks won their final Cup before signing Kane and Toews to huge $10.5M deals, resulting in Toews becoming extremely overpaid. Same with the extension to Seabrook and alas they are no longer contenders. That's how you kill a successful team. Difference being the Hawks had 3 Cups, Oilers haven't even come close to 1 in the last decade. Money matters in the NHL and sometimes you have to make tough decisions and cut bait with guys who demand more than their contributions are worth.

LOL, you are right, sorry about that.
You have to gamble in the NHL.
You can save your money hoping for the right pieces as some teams have done, but 99% of the time you have to decide if your core is good enough to proceed, and that means overpays. Pittsburg, Washington, Chicago, all have imbalanced caps because they went all in.

We could always wait, it is not like we are wasting the time of a generational talent right now. Point is is at some point you have to decide, and you will overpay.

I agree with you on some aspects. But our generational talent will eventually look at a team that is in a constant state of driving out good players because of money(not too mention guys he is close to). At some point we have to go all in.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
That's a 50 percent increase. Maybe 15 years of cap increase (I didn't check that)
If he was the exact same player he was when he signed, prices for players have gone up because the cap has gone up.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
I'm pretty sure that he's worth 6ish on a long term deal. We can't let this guy walk now. We dont have anyone with toughness back there, larson comes close but he won't pound anyone if they get smart around our goalie.

Nurse has been a slow learning d. With age and entering his prime years as a d, it's a no brainer to think he will trend up, due to the mental side maturing.

Pronger became a force over 25.
Let's hope you are right. He has the physical tools to dominate but that first pass out of the zone is still not there compared to someone like Bouchard.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Let's hope you are right. He has the physical tools to dominate but that first pass out of the zone is still not there compared to someone like Bouchard.
He's come a long way with maturity, and considering dmen take longer, I'm confident we can invest long term. I would throw down for this guy, higher amount then most posters on this thread. Good chance he meets or exceeds expectations for a long time. RNH I don't view as high for the money or term. Both core players thou...

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Kinda risky as I believe this takes him to ufa right?

still good to have the flexibility and lower cap hit than what I’m sure he could have gotten long term.

happy with the signing overall, well done holland!

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
???

Discusting you mean ? So Darnell can walk out as a UFA in 2 years?

According to all reports he wants to be here and took this deal to allow us some cap flexibility over the next 2 years to get things on track and negotiate another deal next summer.

the last thing anyone should be worried about is nurse walking. He wants to be an Oiler.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
???

Either you overpay a guy with a limited skillset and hurt the cap next year....or you try to win w him for 2 more.

Part B os more logical

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
???

I still like him as a player and think he’s valuable. Seems he’s changed his game to be more physical. I think if he went back to his old play he is a good player. I wouldn’t want to lose him personally, but I’m sure I’m the out cast lol.

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
???

Yes he can. Which means if we crap the bed in any way next year, imagine a Darnell nurse at 50% retained on the market. Imagine if we play well and we need to add another piece next year or year after. We have Bouchard and broberg coming in around that time as well. This is a great signing. Lots of options, not that big of a risk, plus he wants to be here for now.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Not bad if true, but if we’re signing a 2 year deal that takes him to earliest UFA eligibility, I’d expect it to be 5 or lower. I’m not saying Nurse isn’t worth 5.5, but only on slightly longer term (4years min).

With that said, perhaps this is a short term, good faith deal, where they have a hand shake agreement that a long term deal is signed down the road that is agreeable on the Oilers end?

McJesusSaves97

I see the light
May 17, 2015
Cowtown: Behind Enemy Lines
If he wants to be here, he'll resign in 2 years...by then we will have Samorukov, Jones, Lagesson etc ready to push for his spot anyway. I would like to think one of them (or someone else) could fill his spot by then. If he doesn't want to sign with us in a couple years you trade him at the deadline. Holland knows what he is doing here.

Reactions: Debbie Mathers

OldManBouchard

Oct 14, 2019
So if he signs for 5.5M. what kind of savings does this bring? A million per year? Is that worth UFA status where he could potentially leverage other team offers and get significantly more?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad