Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I don't know if I should be surprised that there's been more recent talk in the Brandon Manning Player Discussion thread than about a defender who has 16 points in his last 17 games. Seems like when Nurse wasn't getting special teams/1st pairing minutes, everybody was happy to call out his lack of IQ. Now that he's showing top end results, not a peep?

I'm happy to say I personally was wrong about Darnell's ceiling. 17 games isn't a fluke. The scary thing is, he still has growth potential at both ends of the ice.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I don't know if I should be surprised that there's been more recent talk in the Brandon Manning Player Discussion thread than about a defender who has 16 points in his last 17 games. Seems like when Nurse wasn't getting special teams/1st pairing minutes, everybody was happy to call out his lack of IQ. Now that he's showing top end results, not a peep?

I'm happy to say I personally was wrong about Darnell's ceiling. 17 games isn't a fluke. The scary thing is, he still has growth potential at both ends of the ice.
He was getting praised in multiple threads for his recent gameplay. Or are you talking about his personal thread not blowing up?

Reactions: replacement

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
People are more focused on negative news/issues, and there are plenty of those. It's normal, just compare the "loss PGTs" vs "win PGTs".

Great game for Nurse and good stretch of games lately. Hopefully he keeps it up.

I'll add that we are not in a position to trade any of Klefa, Larsson, Nurse or Russell right now. Upgrades should only push the others down, not off the team.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
He was getting praised in multiple threads for his recent gameplay. Or are you talking about his personal thread not blowing up?

Ya, I guess I just think it's kind of weird that I had to go back 5 pages of threads to even find a player discussion thread on him, and those were closed months ago. His play definitely warrants this.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I still think he's a #4 with #3 potential to be a #2.

I don't expect him to get a ton of pp time when the team is healthy nor would he on other teams and I don't think he'll ever score or defend well enough to be an elite player.

It's a nice stretch but I haven't seen anything yet that makes me think he has #1 potential.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Nurse has had a pretty good stretch but he is still far from consistent. His offensive game looks good lately but I think overall his defensive game is still quite rough.

This didn't change to much from second pairing to first pairing either but his offense did increase.

Nurse can be a good player but I'm not entirely sold.

The reason people have talked about moving Nurse, is the needs to figure out quick which Nurse we are going to see more often. The good Nurse or the bad Nurse because after this year his value either leaps or plummets.

space321

May 11, 2011
I'm impressed with the points he's putting up, but every time I watch a game, it annoys me to no end whenever he whips the puck from our own zone for an icing instead of making a breakout pass.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He's looking much better under Hitch imo, and not only points.

If he can become the linchpin on that 2nd pair consistently, a bit like Sekera 16//17, that would be great. He's already played like it and better, it's just that it has been a bit too much up and down.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
At this point, would it be smart to give Nurse that top pairing 1LH position with Russell on the right and give Klefbom the easier matchup with Larsson who's struggling on the 2nd pairing?

Nurse is doing well with more responsibility.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

giphy.gif

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Imagine hating on a 23 year old defeceman who's on pace for 40+ points. GTFOH.
rzVAZXP.gif
Love that gif. Darnell is a beast.

And couldn't agree more. He's looking better on the PP than Klefbom has ever looked on it and is showing some great all-around growth offensively but those who have been on him don't seem too happy about it. Curious, that.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
been saying for years , great skating dman like him rarely bust
The one thing I noticed earlier in the season is the mobility and skating we're used to from Nurse wasn't there as much. Seemed labored at times and I wondered if he was fighting through a nagging injury. The past handful of games especially it seems like that is back which is great to see.

Reactions: VainGretzky

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
The one thing I noticed earlier in the season is the mobility and skating we're used to from Nurse wasn't there as much. Seemed labored at times and I wondered if he was fighting through a nagging injury. The past handful of games especially it seems like that is back which is great to see.

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Also worth pointing out that in the off season Raab was saying how Parayko who is 2 years older is in a different league offensively than Nurse but Nurse has twice the points as him this year so far. I remember the ridiculous trade proppsal of what would need to be added to Nurse to trade for Paryako.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

And couldn't agree more. He's looking better on the PP than Klefbom has ever looked on it and is showing some great all-around growth offensively but those who have been on him don't seem too happy about it. Curious, that.

Klef's a better 5v5 player and holds his own away from McDavid, unlike Nurse.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016

Curious indeed, but quick to bury him the minute a goal is scored whether it's his fault or not. Gets me thinking, must be almost something different about him :sarcasm: because the guy who was traded for Hall is out there getting outplayed by rookie but you don't hear a peep about him.

They'd probably appreciate him more in Toronto thought, I am sure of that.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Curious indeed, but quick to bury him the minute a goal is scored whether it's his fault or not. Gets me thinking, must be almost something different about him :sarcasm: because the guy who was traded for Hall is out there getting outplayed by rookie but you don't hear a peep about him.

They'd probably appreciate him more in Toronto thought, I am sure of that.

lol come on man.

Anyway, I've seen one guy on this board who craps on Nurse, the harshest anyone else gets is calling him a second pairing D man with limited ability in his own zone.

walktheboulavard

Jul 8, 2016
Klef's a better 5v5 player and holds his own away from McDavid, unlike Nurse.

Actually that's not completely true. Woodguy pulled numbers from natural stat trick and found that over the last 2 seasons Klef was slightly better than Nurse in shot shares with and without McDavid but Nurse was much better in the goal share department with and without McDavid. And this is with similar quality of competition.

lol come on man.

Anyway, I've seen one guy on this board who craps on Nurse, the harshest anyone else gets is calling him a second pairing D man with limited ability in his own zone.

There were posters that though the acquisition of Petrovic and Manning meant Nurse was on the outs :laugh: how in the world do you interpret that :laugh:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Actually that's not completely true. Woodguy pulled numbers from natural stat trick and found that over the last 2 seasons Klef was slightly better than Nurse in shot shares with and without McDavid but Nurse was much better in the goal share department with and without McDavid. And this is with similar quality of competition.

There were posters that though the acquisition of Petrovic and Manning meant Nurse was on the outs :laugh: how in the world do you interpret that :laugh:
Why is it hard to believe that Chia brought those two in to try and make nurse expendable? It’s very plausible that was a part of his plan.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I would assume that has to do with Nurse playing lots with Russell.

He gets beat up in shot shares, but does fairly well in goal share.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->