Player Discussion Darnell Nurse

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That’s not even an advanced stat though?
Not disputing your post but if they aren’t an advanced stat, can you explain what stats are? I ask this because the definition of advanced stats that I’ve read was that they are any stats that go beyond basic boilerplate data like shots for, against, TOI, GAA, etc..

Reactions: Kepler 186f

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The contract hasn't even expired yet. If Holland negotiated with Nurse throughout the entire year do you think he still makes north of 9 the way he's played this year?

To be frank I think you're missing the deadline on his contract. He's not getting paid 9.25 now. He's going to be paid that next year.
I would be he gets more than $9M as a UFA. There’s zero reason for Nurse to negotiate with the Oilers mid season this year when he would have been primed to become a UFA and could negotiate with every team in the league.

Reactions: Mr Positive

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
What is wrong with Nurse? Has anything even been rumoured? Is it the kind of thing that will improve any time soon, or is he preventing healing by playing Through it?

He is not himself that is plain as day. If he was I think this series would be well in hand already.

Reactions: McDoused

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
What is wrong with Nurse? Has anything even been rumoured? Is it the kind of thing that will improve any time soon, or is he preventing healing by playing Through it?

He is not himself that is plain as day. If he was I think this series would be well in hand already.

He's always been a pretty mediocre Dman defensively unfortunately. This alleged core injury is making it worse

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
He's always been a pretty mediocre Dman defensively unfortunately. This alleged core injury is making it worse

He played like 40 minutes a night against Winnipeg and was pretty much rock solid. Theres obviously something pretty seriously wrong. I think its revisionist history to say he is mediocre and he will make you eat your words if he gets over it anytime soon. He may not be a 9M d-man but he sure as hell is an excellent 5M + D when healthy. His physicality is dialled way back right now along with his minutes. If he were at 100% we would be way ahead of where we are right now.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Didn’t Seravelli say he needs surgery after the season? I saw that reported somewhere but it’s not confirmed. Maybe it’s lies.

Edit: It’s entirely possible Nurse is the more banged up of the two, as he battles what sources indicate is a core-muscle injury that might require offseason surgery to repair.

Last edited:

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Yes that's what I dont get about this thread. They base the value of the contract based on his play in the playoffs, where it is well known he is injured. The contract is long term. The injury is short term

Another example of emotional and irrational l venting imo

That’s not true whatsoever

That’s revisionist history once again

Darnell hasnt been good nor consistent this year.

He’s definitely been worse with this injury, but to spin it as “he’s only been bad in the playoffs, chill” is a flat out lie.

He’s had a bad year and that can change, but let’s not pretend that his play hasn’t been trending this way before playoffs.

OG Eberle

Aug 25, 2011
Last edited:

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Don't care. It has no context to it. It is nonsense.

Or do you think Josi and McDonagh are terrible defensemen?
Nobody things Josi and McDonagh are bad. But a great player can play bad over a playoff series and Josi and McDonagh most certainly did NOT have one of their better showings in round 1.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006

At least he is better than Keith

JFresh had Duncan Keith pegged at 1% WAR rating going into this season.

We can debate the effectiveness of Keith until the cows come home, but to call him the bottom 1% of the NHL is just so absolutely out to left field you can't even start a reasonable conversation from that place of lunacy.

He also had the Oilers ranked 32nd on Defence in the NHL by stats.

Lots of good stats guys out there. JFresh is not one.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
Nobody things Josi and McDonagh are bad. But a great player can play bad over a playoff series and Josi and McDonagh most certainly did NOT have one of their better showings in round 1.

The stat means nothing on its own. Look at the post above yours if you can't figure out why.

Top defensemen face the other teams best players, full lines of players that can make plays at speed. Of course they are going to make more successful controlled entries.

Lower lines may have 1 player, usually older though, that can do that, so they usually dump and chase.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
That’s not true whatsoever

That’s revisionist history once again

Darnell hasnt been good nor consistent this year.

He’s definitely been worse with this injury, but to spin it as “he’s only been bad in the playoffs, chill” is a flat out lie.

He’s had a bad year and that can change, but let’s not pretend that his play hasn’t been trending this way before playoffs.
Nurse has had a lesser year compared to last season but he has still been a high quality top defenseman who puts up crazy high minutes. There has been consensus he will be overpaid but it was mostly agreed that it is by 1 million, maybe 2

It's just very obvious that this thread has seen a flurry of activity recently and it is 100% driven by his weak performances in these playoffs. So yes I do stand by my comments that it is about emotional venting. After losses it can look like the season is over and it does make people feel bad and want to lash out. That is what was going on here.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Honeslty, all these tweets show it that 1st pairing dmen are playing 1st line forwards and that 3rd line forwards are playing bottom 6 forwards.

Trying to extrapolate anything else from these would be pretty stupid

Keith is almost as good as Josi and/or Reilly is awful is the appropriate conclusion. I agree im not sure you can make any conclusion based on that stat list---as per usual stats out of context can be garbage.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Didn’t Seravelli say he needs surgery after the season? I saw that reported somewhere but it’s not confirmed. Maybe it’s lies.

Edit: It’s entirely possible Nurse is the more banged up of the two, as he battles what sources indicate is a core-muscle injury that might require offseason surgery to repair.
Just an aside but my speculation for Seravelli's unnamed source would be Nurse's agent. Guy is based in Toronto but schooled and played college hockey in Erie Pennsylvania which is Seravelli's home state. Through Seravelli's TSN work he has a massive network and player agents are a primary source for the dirt. No way this would be a team source as Holland generally has this locked down. A player agent though within the job description includes protecting the reputation and image of their golden geese would quite likely have something to gain to explain Nurse's struggles.

I have to believe Nurse is substantially dinged up. I've never seen him beat wide, losing physical battles, and so passive in defending blue paint areas. Still, if this is the case, I'd much rather seen Nurse simplify his game to focus on disciplined defending that increasing the chaos with his roaming all over the ice in own zone and often jumping to cheat for offence. Love this player's warrior desire to impact the game but needs to simplify in this critical time.

Reactions: Faelko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad