Darkhorse prospects to have a great NHL career?

Kershaw

Carl Hagelin, I think we could see him up next year. He is great defensively and I think his game should resemble Callahan's when he gets a call up.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Carl Hagelin, I think we could see him up next year. He is great defensively and I think his game should resemble Callahan's when he gets a call up.

Also a big fan. I think Callahan is a big expectation of what he could be but we'll see I guess.

Kershaw

Also a big fan. I think Callahan is a big expectation of what he could be but we'll see I guess.

Agreed. I think I mouthed my words the wrong way. I think they'll both have a similar playing style and both will be the best back checkers and penalty killers on the team. (If Hagelin reaches close to his potential)

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Not sure if hes obscure enough to count, but Matt Donovan is going to be one heck of a player. Others are Anders Lee from the Isles as well and Keith Kinkaid from the devils.

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
darren archibald - Guy has sick hands for a big guy and has solid work ethic could become a 40+ point power forward with the canucks
kevin lynch - leader is the word, the guy has all the tools he just needs to put it together.
michael neal - same frame as his brother not as offensively gifted but can be effective in any role.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Not sure if hes obscure enough to count, but Matt Donovan is going to be one heck of a player. Others are Anders Lee from the Isles as well and Keith Kinkaid from the devils.

Big fan of both Donovan and Lee.

Saw Donovan at the World Juniors a couple years back, very smart offensive defender. Lee is just a man beast.

DangerMan

@danlizee
Jun 4, 2007
Edmonton
whlthoughts.blogspot.com
darren archibald - Guy has sick hands for a big guy and has solid work ethic could become a 40+ point power forward with the canucks
kevin lynch - leader is the word, the guy has all the tools he just needs to put it together.
michael neal - same frame as his brother not as offensively gifted but can be effective in any role.

I like the way Archibald plays, it will be interesting to see if he turns into a poser or if he can keep up with his thuggery/agitation at the pro level.

Shanny

Let's Win It All
Jun 12, 2009
Bytown
I don't think he's a darkhorse at this point -- at least not to people outside of the hockey community. This guy is a very high-end prospect.

yep, he's no secret at this point, a lot of swedish scouts compare him to Loui Eriksson....with an even better shot.

My pick for dark horse prospect is Oilers prospect: Ryan Martindale, guy is a stud here for the 67's.

Mojo19

Loyal since 1987
Dec 29, 2006
Nova Scotia
I don't think he's a darkhorse at this point -- at least not to people outside of the hockey community. This guy is a very high-end prospect.
Yeah he's definitely an A prospect, rated as 7.0 C by hockeysfuture.

I picked him though, because he consistently ranked below other Ottawa prospects like Rundblad, Lehner, Zibanejad, Cowen, Filatov, and sometimes even Puempel, Noesen, Butler, etc.

I think Silfverberg could be the best if not 2nd or 3rd best NHL among Ottawa's current prospects. It's tough to knock Rundblad or Lehner, but beyond that I think Silfverberg may be the next best. The guy deserves more credit.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I would bet a lot of money on Mark Borowiecki having a very solid NHL career.

Remember that name.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Ok, curious... What makes Max Friberg, 5th rounder in 2011 special?

IMO anybody drafted in 2011 can't really be considered a darkhourse. They haven't yet had time to rise above their peers.

There were stories last year about late round prospects that made people think darkhourse. Olden is a good example and even with a mediocre or sub-par year, people still think he is special. (Why the mystique? Rumour has it that Detroit wanted him, but TO bagged him first..... crazy) Sorensen is the same way. The Sens nabbed him in the 4th(?) and he was a secret guy, not heavily scouted, he did fine, but was not invited to the Swedish WJC camp... that says something.

IMO, you need to show that on a redraft, you would have gone at least in the later first early 2nd round depending on the draft.

Find guys that fit that mould and we have real darkhorses.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.

IMO anybody drafted in 2011 can't really be considered a darkhourse. They haven't yet had time to rise above their peers.

There were stories last year about late round prospects that made people think darkhourse. Olden is a good example and even with a mediocre or sub-par year, people still think he is special. (Why the mystique? Rumour has it that Detroit wanted him, but TO bagged him first..... crazy) Sorensen is the same way. The Sens nabbed him in the 4th(?) and he was a secret guy, not heavily scouted, he did fine, but was not invited to the Swedish WJC camp... that says something.

IMO, you need to show that on a redraft, you would have gone at least in the later first early 2nd round depending on the draft.

There is a difference between a darkhorse and a "steal". A darkhorse is merely a prospect considered to have a potentially intriguing skillset who could develop into a useful NHL player. I'd say both Olden and Sorensen fit the darkhorse (or did) term.

Olden quite patently has been overstated in his worth many times on this board because of that "Mystique" that surrounded him after it was known Hakan was interested in him. Certainly his nationality has also cultivated a part of that mystique too. In reality he had a pretty poor year in Swedish Juniors and is very much behind the curve. That isn't to say he doesn't possess certian appealing attributes, rather that his production and package certainly havent warranted the hype so far.

Sorensen gets hyped alot by Senators fans too, for some unbeknown reason. Again definitely attributed to a cultivated mystique ; unknown European player with suppossed quality attributes found by a revered scout. He definitely appeared to have a good year and saw some limited time in the SEL. Not making the Swedish World Junior squad shouldn't be held against him considering the exceedingly talented competition facing him for those spots. You'd be more inclined to be worried if he didn't make the team this year considering the age advantage he will now have.

They however do definitely fit into the darkhorse category. They are relatively middle level prospects who seem to possess certain attributes that one day could manifest into something in the NHL. Clearly they cannot be proclaimed steals or highly likely NHL players at this point, but then those types of players shouldn't be mentioned in this type of thread.

From a Florida perspective a definite darkhorse could be Jonas Donskoi. Good numbers for his age in the SM-Liga and certainly has appealing Offensive ability. Just depends on his worth ethic, development environment and how he works on the deficiencies within his game.

squidz*

Erik Haula?

He was a 7th round pick in 2009, and was keeping up with Jason Zucker in the WCHA for the first half of the season. He kind of disappeared halfway through (I don't know why) though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad