Darkhorse prospects to have a great NHL career?

edgevolution

GO USA!
Apr 7, 2010
State of Hockey
I think Haula is a darkhorse prospect. Selected in the 7th round and went on to put up 24 points in 34 games as a freshman playing for the University of Minnesota. I think he could be a pretty good 2nd liner someday.

Teuehikan

Jul 28, 2009
Habs - Michael Bournival

I don't know but I have a good feeling that he will become a good 3th line forward with good two-ways ability and lot of grits.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
There is a difference between a darkhorse and a "steal". A darkhorse is merely a prospect considered to have a potentially intriguing skillset who could develop into a useful NHL player.

Interesting definition. My issue with that then is that virtually all late draft picks are darkhorses. IMO a draft pick can't be a steal until he is an NHL regular. You do use 'intruiging skillset' which excludes guys drafted to be grinders, so I suppose that makes it about half of the late rounders.

From my perspective McKegg is not a steal, he might be considered a darkhorse, while Dennis Wideman was a steal at #241

First - we start with all late draft picks (3rd round plus)
Second - guys elevate their game substantially (become a darkhorse)
Third - become impact NHL players (was a steal)

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC
From the Habs, I'm going to go with Brendan Gallagher. Don't tell him he's 5'8" because I'm not sure he's aware of it. The kid plays big, has great hands in close, has a really good shot, loves driving to the net (and running goalies) and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

Also, I think Michael Bournival has a really good NHL career as a 3rd liner ahead of him.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Interesting definition. My issue with that then is that virtually all late draft picks are darkhorses. IMO a draft pick can't be a steal until he is an NHL regular. You do use 'intruiging skillset' which excludes guys drafted to be grinders, so I suppose that makes it about half of the late rounders.

From my perspective McKegg is not a steal, he might be considered a darkhorse, while Dennis Wideman was a steal at #241

First - we start with all late draft picks (3rd round plus)
Second - guys elevate their game substantially (become a darkhorse)
Third - become impact NHL players (was a steal)

The word steal has basically become redudant, because people use so much in the wrong context here. I hear people declaring a prospect a steal moments after he has been drafted (I used to be guilty of such stupidity) ; how can an asset be a steal until it's proven its worth?

So i agree with you. I would not suggest all late round picks are darkhorses. There are many late round picks who i feel i am capable of basically disgarding from this definition simply based on their skillset. Not many late round picks to my eyes have an "intruiging skillset".

A steal is a proven asset (So NHL player) who was acquired or taken below his current value/worth.

A darkhorse is simply a prospect who can be considered to be highly promising or possess a certain quality that is itself promising and can for the future be considered as an above average NHL asset.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
The word steal has basically become redudant, because people use so much in the wrong context here. I hear people declaring a prospect a steal moments after he has been drafted (I used to be guilty of such stupidity) ; how can an asset be a steal until it's proven its worth?

So i agree with you. I would not suggest all late round picks are darkhorses. There are many late round picks who i feel i am capable of basically disgarding from this definition simply based on their skillset. Not many late round picks to my eyes have an "intruiging skillset".

A steal is a proven asset (So NHL player) who was acquired or taken below his current value/worth.

A darkhorse is simply a prospect who can be considered to be highly promising or possess a certain quality that is itself promising and can for the future be considered as an above average NHL asset.

Interesting how we throw around basic words, and people have different ideas of what they mean.

Your darkhorse definition is the same as mine, just expressed slightly differently.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
I would say Fasth, Tyler Toffoli and Mitchell Callahan. I also really like Mike Hoffman even though he's an overager. I'm not a fan of Ken Agostino at all who many seem to love. We will see.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Cam Atkinson. Drafted by Columbus in the 6th round in 2008. Had a very good 3 year career at BC and put up 5 points in 5 games with Springfield of the AHL after signing his ELC. May still be a year away from the NHL and his size may hold him back, but he's very skilled and a hard worker.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
Brandon Kozun

6th Rounder, doesn't get much love because of his size but kid plays with heart and brings it his all every shift.

Had 23 or so goals in the AHL his first year. I can see him making the Kings this year or next.

Kozun is awsome, kid is small but he'll make it. such a smart, skilled player with a ton of will. great steal by the kings.

Alex Grenier of the canucks is my pick as a dark horse. older player with tons of size, athletic ability and skill. The Canucks may have really found something in him.

Pneuma

Apr 10, 2011
I'll go away from the offensive/scoring prospects and go with Mitchell Callahan from the Wings. I think he's going to have a long career as a Maltby type guy that isn't going to score much but will drive the other team crazy, lay some big hits, and occasionally stand up for his teammates.

On a different note, I don't think a lot of these "darkhorse" prospects are darkhorses at all. Most of them are the guys that posters claimed were a late round steal the second after they were drafted. Guys like Gallagher, Friberg, Mckegg, Olden, and Pulkkinen all had a good amount of hype before and after they were drafted. I guess, in the literal sense, they could be considered as such. To me, it just trivializes this thread because these names already get thrown around all over the place. It would be more interesting if people picked true darkhorse prospects that people outside of your fan base probably wouldn't recognize.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
New York Rangers:

Jesper Fasth - Skilled, fast and a good overall hockey player. He will be playing on the top line in the SEL this year after being drafted in the 6th round in '10.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
New York Rangers:

Jesper Fasth - Skilled, fast and a good overall hockey player. He will be playing on the top line in the SEL this year after being drafted in the 6th round in '10.

I agree with this, Fasth was great last season even while battling some injuries. Good twoway-player, very fast, play a fearless style. I wouln't be surprised to see him play some with the national team this season (perhaps even in the world championship).

EK65IsAGod

SensWerePrettyPesky
Jul 31, 2011
Maritimes
Not saying they'll do anything at the NHL level, but the Saulnier twins went undrafted for the second straight year.

Both more than quadrupled their production from last year and are still good defensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad