Darkhorse prospects to have a great NHL career?

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If the Jets had one now it'd be Sami Niku.

Sad seeing all of the Telegin posts, concussions suck.

Some posters nailed it lol. Spend a few days posting ours and let this lay idle for another 5+ years.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I guess he technically doesn't count as a prospect but only has 33 career games played - Josh Leivo had a very good game last night and showed off an exceptional wrist shot to pick an opposite corner from about 35 feet. Lots of leaf fans really hoping that he gets an extended look

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
Some russian names:

Tkachyov (center from Ak Bars Kazan)
Barabanov
Antipin
Svetlakov
Ozhiganov
Boikov

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
From a Rangers standpoint, Tyler Wall, Tim Gettinger and Sean Day. All mid-late round picks from this year who've had good years.

I would've said Huska and Zborovskiy as mid-late round picks from the previous draft, but they are a further year advanced from those players, so maybe its not fair to name them.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Christian Jaros, Francis Perron and Max Lajoie for Ottawa.
I also really like Anthony Salinitri for Philly.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Already mentioned Gaudette but forgot also

Willie Lockwood
Mckenzie
Guilam Briesbois
Carl Neil

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
I'm not sure about 'great career' but as a Devils fan:
Yegor Rykov
John Quenneville
Steven Santini if he counts as a darkhorse

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
From a Rangers standpoint, Tyler Wall, Tim Gettinger and Sean Day. All mid-late round picks from this year who've had good years.

I would've said Huska and Zborovskiy as mid-late round picks from the previous draft, but they are a further year advanced from those players, so maybe its not fair to name them.
I think Saarela might make it as a grinder despite having a down year as of now. Good motor, good shot and his boardwork is decent. His 2016 WJC performance was great.

E: Completely forgot he was Canes property as of now. Well, whatever.

Brewins

Apr 23, 2015
Jesse Gabrielle 101 WHL goals, one of the first in his age group to reach that mark. Can hit, fight, dangle and agitate.

According to some on our board he is moved up and down the lineup plays on a checking line to shut down opposition and still is at a ppg.

He hasn't had an even strength goal against in 13 games.

He might be a marchy/lucic hybrid or a Beleskey clone.

Not bad for a 4th rounder.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Personally i think Bear is only "dark horse here", Merkley and Steel were both pretty heavely touted prospects before draft.

Here is my list:

Forwards; Vitaly Abramov, Lucas Wallmark, Will Bitten, Shane Gerisch,

Abramov and Bitten went lower than expected. I think Bitten will be stud, he has all the tools be effective player in NHL. I have been rooting for Wallmark since his first year in SHL, awesome IQ. They all have one common thing, size is issue. Wallmark looking good in AHL.

Defence; Jake Walman, Ethan Bear, Frederic Allard, Vande Sompel

Last year Walman made sick impact in offence. This year focused on defense, size is issue here too. Ethan Bear in the other has some real gem potential. Good size, great skating, good passing, has all the tools... Allard isn't seeing much hype because Fabbro and Girrard but Allard is darkhorse here.

Goalie; McNiven.

:nod:

Good call on Wallmark. He nearly made the Canes out of training camp this season (biggest reason he didn't is that McClement is on a one-way deal) and should definitely see some time down the stretch if the Canes make some moves out at the deadline. He'll likely start next season as the #4C but he has upside better then that for sure, and frankly I'd be more comfortable with him in the #3C role next season then either Ryan or TT who I think is better suited to the wing.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think Saarela might make it as a grinder despite having a down year as of now. Good motor, good shot and his boardwork is decent. His 2016 WJC performance was great.

E: Completely forgot he was Canes property as of now. Well, whatever.

We got fleeced. That was the Eric Staal trade. It upsets me that Eric Staal played for the Rangers. He was very expensive, he played very poorly, and then he complained about his ice time. All because his brother plays on the Rangers. :help:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
For the the Leafs probably Middleton or Greenway. Nobody takes notice of them that much because they are both huge, long-term, projects but their upside can be huge. They both have great tools...mainly skating at their size. For both, it could very much be boom or bust though.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
He may not turn into a star, but I really like Adam Brooks. He was passed over before and is a bit old for the CHL but he's made huge strides the past 2 years and will hopefully prove himself in the AHL next year. Numbers aside, he's a smart player. I don't think he'll be a star but I'm confident he'll be an nhl player in some capacity.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
John Hayden is one guy. Chicago is going to sign him soon to a deal and he could be a beastly player.

Matteson Iacopelli is another for Chicago. Both guys could anchor their future bottom six.

Flynn84

Apr 27, 2006
What u think barabanov becomes in the nhl?
I think he could be a solid 2nd-3rd line winger with 40-50 points per seasons.

Tkachyov 2-3rd line two-way center (40+ points).
Svetlakov great bottom line grinding center/winger with some offensive skills (up to 30 points).
Antipin 2-3 pairing two-way def.
Ozhiganov 2-3 pairing offensive defenseman.
Boikov stay-at-home hard hitting def no 4-7.

I'm trying not to overrate these guys so I hope they could come very close to these predictions and even surpass it :)

I also thought about Rykov but I believe he's not a darkhorse anymore.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
There was a rumour that he had contract offers from Hawks and Oilers

I haven't seen him talked about in the Panarin/Gusev mold but maybe he should be, judging strictly by production and age he might be a gem

wikipedia talks about a contract annulment with the oilers, looks like there was an ELC in place for him before last season that was scrapped for a CBA technicality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Tkachev_(ice_hockey,_born_1995)

If the Oilers are granting assurances that he'd play with McDavid or Draisatl that would have to be pretty attractive to lure him back you'd think

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad