Darkhorse prospects to have a great NHL career?

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Prospects are essentially a betting game. You never know what will happen to an undrafted player that will turn them into an NHL all-star, or which lottery picks will never make the NHL to start with.

There are certainly some guys that are just constantly overlooked, but you can just feel in your bones that they'll turn out to be spectacular. Who are these players, and why do you think they're going to turn heads in a few years?

I'll start this off by rolling with Nick Mattson. He's never really impressed anyone at big prospect showings, but he won USHL Defenseman of the Year this year, and is headed to play for the Fighting Sioux next season to refine his game. UND, with its great hockey program and having just lost three of their premier dmen, will be exactly what Mattson needs to take his game from great amateur to great pro.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Jani Lajunen. He was awesome in WC.

Edit: Possibly his brother, Ville Lajunen.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am not saying he will have a great NHL career or even make the NHL as a regular but from the Islanders Anders Lee has the potential to be a big 30+ goal power forward

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Teemu Pulkkinen

Slipped enormously in the draft then got selected by Detroit. They'll take their time with him and bring him over at the right time to start his NHL career.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Brandon Kozun

6th Rounder, doesn't get much love because of his size but kid plays with heart and brings it his all every shift.

Had 23 or so goals in the AHL his first year. I can see him making the Kings this year or next.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
Tommy Wingels, SJS.

he's been one of my favorite Sharks prospects for a while. made the team out of camp last year, and played a few games in Europe (for the NHL opening). not much to go off of, but i have a good feeling about him.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
From the QMJHL, I'd say Jean-Francois Leblanc and Maxime Villemaire.

J-F Leblanc went undrafted this year, and I was very surprised. He's very complete. Big, good two-way game, etc. He just need to work his skating. If he improve it, he should be a decent third line center in the NHL.

Maxime Villemaire went undrafted too, but he's invited to the St. Louis Blues camp. Big, very physical, good fighter, good defensively, decent skill aswell. Can play both center and wing. Could make a solid fourth liner in the NHL.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Mark Borowiecki. The Sens brass love his game. While he'll never wow you with his offence, if all the stars align for him I could see him being a good 2nd pairing stay at home defenceman. If not i see him being a very good bottom pairing dman.

ComradeChris

May 15, 2010
Alexei Marchenko from the Detroit Red Wings. Drafted in the 7th round. He is a Russian and I've heard comparisons of him and Konstantinov. Just depends if he wants to come to NA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad