Darkhorse prospects to have a great NHL career?

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I don't think he's that big a darkhorse, wasn't he the top rated goalie in his draft year? Unless he started playing like his brother, he's still probably thought of very highly in Colorado.

Jack Campbell and Mark Visentin were both taken ahead of him. He doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves, IMO. He's my version of a dark horse.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
2010 Flames 3rd rounders Max Reinhart and Joey Leach. Both I could see becoming solid big leaguers.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Tom Kuhnhackl and Dustin Jeffrey, although the latter may not be so much of a darkhorse anymore after being the best forward in the AHL last season.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Joel Chouinard, he's going to be a great PPQB, and a very good PMD IMHO, but he gets overlooked because Avs have Elliot and Barrie in their system also.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Jack Campbell and Mark Visentin were both taken ahead of him. He doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves, IMO. He's my version of a dark horse.

Well the fact that he didn't get invited to WJC camp for Canada supports your statement. He gets overlooked because he plays for an awful team in dub, and he's the only reason they aren't dead last in the entire WHL.

bobbyt911

I have a few from the Leafs, Marcel Mueller-I don't think he will be a star but he is starting to play to his size and has strong net drive so i think he will become a full time NHLer some time in the next cpl years. Greg McKegg a 3rd round pick who's skating needs to improve to make him a legitimate blue chip sniper, but this kid has amazing hands and just knows where to be to score. Luca Caputi Leaf fans had a glimpse of his power forward abilities before his injury, his defensive game is improving and I think he will be a 2nd-3rd tweener power forward. Josh Nicholls a 7th round pick who is developing well, he is really skinny tho 6-2 at 174 so he needs to gain weight but i think he will come from obscurity to a 3rd liner PK man with offensive upside. Kenny Ryan is a big bodied boy 6ft 210 who I think will make it. Korbinian Holzer I see him becoming a big bodied stay at home D-man. Simon Gysbers just a gut feeling with him and Ben Scrivens I really think the Leafs have a gem in him, He has a ton of skill but lacks in his positional play but if anyone can teach him it's Allaire. I know that's a lot of guys on top of Kadri, Colborne, Gardner, Blacker, Biggs, Ross and Frattin but out of all those guys only Kadri, Colborne and Gardner are IMO a sure thing.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I have a few from the Leafs, Marcel Mueller-I don't think he will be a star but he is starting to play to his size and has strong net drive so i think he will become a full time NHLer some time in the next cpl years. Greg McKegg a 3rd round pick who's skating needs to improve to make him a legitimate blue chip sniper, but this kid has amazing hands and just knows where to be to score. Luca Caputi Leaf fans had a glimpse of his power forward abilities before his injury, his defensive game is improving and I think he will be a 2nd-3rd tweener power forward. Josh Nicholls a 7th round pick who is developing well, he is really skinny tho 6-2 at 174 so he needs to gain weight but i think he will come from obscurity to a 3rd liner PK man with offensive upside. Kenny Ryan is a big bodied boy 6ft 210 who I think will make it. Korbinian Holzer I see him becoming a big bodied stay at home D-man. Simon Gysbers just a gut feeling with him and Ben Scrivens I really think the Leafs have a gem in him, He has a ton of skill but lacks in his positional play but if anyone can teach him it's Allaire. I know that's a lot of guys on top of Kadri, Colborne, Gardner, Blacker, Biggs, Ross and Frattin but out of all those guys only Kadri, Colborne and Gardner are IMO a sure thing.

I'm not sure McKegg could be considered a darkhorse but considering teams were writing his season off as a fluke you may be right.

I'm with you on Mueller and Nicholls. Mueller took his time to transition to the North American game but later in the season in the AHL he really started to get it together. He started to be dominant at times late in the season and was using his body very effectively. The Leafs are going to be patient with him but he very well could be a solid top 9 forward.

Nicholls was playing great last season. He is enticing for a number of reasons. He has NHL height but needs to gain weight. He has some nice speed and knows how to play the two-way game very well. He isn't hugely physical but he uses his body to gain space rather than throwing it around. He was considered a solid two-way player with some limited upside but his last season could show he might have some top 6 upside. The best thing is he's a RW, something thats not exactly strong in the prospect system. He also can play center.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
As a Sens fan, the one guy that I think has gone from late pick to Hmmm, he just might be a whole heck of a lot better is Mark Stone.

Skating has been his issue in the past, and as such, I think that it was safe to consider his 106 point year in the WHL as just another junior scorer with no NHL potential, but the fact that he dominated at the WJC development camp last week is perhaps an indication that he could in fact be a top 6 NHLer.

He was drafted in 2010, 6th round.

So, not only is he a late rounder, but he has also shown that he can dominate top talent at his level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad