Darkhorse prospects to have a great NHL career?

member 96824

The only reason people say Ben Conz is because he turns out good in NHL 11. It's kinda actually pathetic.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm still pretty high on Benn Ferriero for the Sharks

Winnipeg's Ivan Telegin.

From the Canes, Victor Rask.

Not sure I would consider Rask a darkhorse prospect considering he was regarded as a top 10 prospect in his draft at one point and simply slipped in the rankings. Same goes for all the people I've seen mentioning Pulkkinen. Then again when I think of a darkhorse prospect I think of someone that was drafted in the 3rd or later, or if it was in the 2nd round it was a pick regarded as a huge reach at the time it was made.

So for the Canes: Mike Murphy, I think the kid could end up being the next Halak.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
As a Sens fan, the one guy that I think has gone from late pick to Hmmm, he just might be a whole heck of a lot better is Mark Stone.

Skating has been his issue in the past, and as such, I think that it was safe to consider his 106 point year in the WHL as just another junior scorer with no NHL potential, but the fact that he dominated at the WJC development camp last week is perhaps an indication that he could in fact be a top 6 NHLer.

He was drafted in 2010, 6th round.

So, not only is he a late rounder, but he has also shown that he can dominate top talent at his level.

He "dominated" only two games with two of the best prospects in the NHL. Holy crap is Stone ever becoming overrated by Sens fans in a hurry. Before the camp people's expectations were much more realistic. Who knew 2 meaningless games had such merit.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
I really like Taylor Beck from Nashville. I think he's gonna make a very good career (maybe not as a 1st liner, but probably as a 2nd liner).

I have a good feeling for Alex Killorn also from TB. He's a solid and feisty player with grit and scoring touch. He grew a hell of a lot since being drafted in 07. He was drafted as a skinny 5'9 forward (160 pounds). He's now 6'2'' and 200 pounds.

DuckshaveaRPG

Mar 9, 2011
London
i think the ducks prospects pool is made up of dark horses tbh it not a group with that many stand out prospects but lots of guys with the tools and potential to make the jump just need to hope and prey that they pull it all together

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The only reason people say Ben Conz is because he turns out good in NHL 11. It's kinda actually pathetic.

Well the fact that he was awesome in two consecutive WJCs doesn't hurt either. If Finland wasn't seen as a solid team you'd be seeing the same arguments for Joni Ortio. Or if the World Championships were more relevant over here you'd probably have a bunch of people saying Frederik Andersen for similar reasons.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
He "dominated" only two games with two of the best prospects in the NHL. Holy crap is Stone ever becoming overrated by Sens fans in a hurry. Before the camp people's expectations were much more realistic. Who knew 2 meaningless games had such merit.

Look at all the other names brought up and tell me who has him clearly beaten as a darkhorse. A later round selection that has done well, and had the chance to show that he is very capable amongst the cream of the crop of his peer group.

He could turn out to be Nigel Dawes too of course.

-- added--
I notice that 2 people have mentioned Stone as well, yet it was my thread, that provided a name AND a reason that drew your interest.

If people just want to throw out names and not say anything more, what good is that? What makes Gregg Mckegg or Ivan Telegin such a great choice. You can pick anybody.

Last edited:

The Dark Passenger

HFNYR Blues GM
Jan 7, 2010
Vermont -> Florida
Does he really count as a darkhorse? I don't think anyone would call Zucker a darkhorse, and he was legitimately taken after Larsson.

My darkhorse pick is Kyle Thomas.

Kyle Thomas? That's not the D3 player from Norwich Univ. is it?

Anyways, my homer dark horse pick for NYR is Jasper Fasth. 6th round pick, no one knew who he was. Played on the first line at the WJC for Sweden as an 18 y/o, played on the first line most of last season for HV71. Good darkhorse pick IMO.

gsharpe

Jan 12, 2010
From the Canucks: Alexander Grenier

3rd round pick so he may not be a darkhorse but I think this guy has all the tools to be a Todd Bertuzzi without being a total d*ck.

squidz*

Kyle Thomas? That's not the D3 player from Norwich Univ. is it?

Anyways, my homer dark horse pick for NYR is Jasper Fasth. 6th round pick, no one knew who he was. Played on the first line at the WJC for Sweden as an 18 y/o, played on the first line most of last season for HV71. Good darkhorse pick IMO.

It is. He was invited to the Wild development camp this year and was pretty impressive. To use First Round Bust's words:

FRB said:
Kyle Thomas:

The hardest working player on the ice all weekend. He was constantly rewarded with penalty shots by drawing penalties with his hustle and hard nosed play. Thomas definitely played like he had something to prove, and he better considering he's a DIII kid playing against other kids of significant pedigree. His skating is a little clunky, but was alright when he got moving; he's really a north-south player who tried to outwork everyone. His hands are just ok, but was able to convert some of the well-earned penalty shots.
I'm in no position to say if he'll get any sort of contract, but he sure laid it out there for the Brass, and that's what you want in a player; if a guy is willing to lay it all out on the line, then maybe he deserves a shot somewhere at some point. I'd like to think that Fletcher, Flahr and Co. will keep an eye on him this season.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
i believe Riley Sheahan and Mitchell Callahan will both have great careers with the Red Wings. Sheahan will be a top 6, 2-way, point scoring centerman. "Dirty Harry" will be a fan favorite like Detroit hasn't seen since McCarty, Shanny, and Probert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad