Darkhorse prospects to have a great NHL career?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Wey and Flemming could both carve out solid NHL careers with some growth and luck, like all dark horses.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Teemu Pulkkinen

Slipped enormously in the draft then got selected by Detroit. They'll take their time with him and bring him over at the right time to start his NHL career.

This. It's not even funny how great this guy can be and detroit picked it up, this literally could be the biggest steal of the draft.

From my team, i think if all goes well olden can be someone great for us and hopefully have a good career with us.

Fast Tony DeNiro

May 1, 2011
Or if the World Championships were more relevant over here you'd probably have a bunch of people saying Frederik Andersen for similar reasons.

Glad someone mentioned him. He's so big and he moves very well. If people need help on defining "darkhorse" Andersen is it, not Riley "21st overall pick" Sheahan.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
As a Hawks fan i'm going to say Rob Flick. He's always been a tough and defensively sound player but this year he added some offensive production and became a real leader. He's off to the AHL this year and hopefully he could develop into a really nasty physical presence with the ability to pot 15-20 goals.

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
I wouldn't consider a prospect entering its team top-20 prospect straight off the draft as a "dark horse".

I will say Joonas Donskoi (FLO) seemed to be coming along alright, I'll pick him as my long term dark horse.

I also agree with Anders Lee and Ivan Telegin being thrown around in this thread.

hail alfie

Apr 30, 2011
Of the lesser hyped Sens prospects, I would say Marcus Sorenson, Derek Grant or Andre Petersson (barring additional back injuries for AP)

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I will say Joonas Donskoi (FLO) seemed to be coming along alright, I'll pick him as my long term dark horse.

I agree. He was very impressive in FEL last season and has all the tools to become a very good two-way winger. He's likely locked to Kärpät's top 6 this year and if he's productive, I'd expect him getting a camp invitation next season.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
Of the lesser hyped Sens prospects, I would say Marcus Sorenson, Derek Grant or Andre Petersson (barring additional back injuries for AP)

While I do agree that they are lesser knowns with potential, none have done anything except Petersson's WJC performance in early 2010.

I think that to be a darkhorse, you need to be drafted later, and have shown remarkable improvement. I suppose I would look as a kid, that on a redraft, would climb into the first round, or early 2nd depending on the draft.

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
For the Sens (in no particular order):

1. Mike Hoffman C/LW, 6'1, 172 lbs. (5th/130th/2009) 21 years old

He is definitely a late bloomer. He won MVP honors in the Q in his last year of junior, he had a great playoffs with the B-Sens after a slow start to the season, and he also had a bit of a late growth spurt as well (looked significantly bigger at development camp this summer). If his progress continues, I could see him as a top 6 forward in 2-3 years. His offensive tools are limitless. Great shot, great speed, solid vision, and above average hockey sense. The biggest knock on him was his size, but as mentioned above, he's filled out quite nicely. Most hockey sources have him listed at 5'11", 175 lbs, but he looked well over 6'0" to me at DC. Forecaster.ca has him listed at 6'1", 172 lbs, which seems more accurate to me. Top 6 forward potential.

2. Mark Stone RW, 6'3", 200 lbs. (6th/178th/2010) 19 years old

Based on his most recent season (37G 69A 106Pts) and performance Canadian Junior Summer Camp, he might not be a darkhorse anymore, but the upside is obviously there. He just has to work on his first step and try to be more explosive out of the box. Top 6 power forward IMO.

3. Mark Borowiecki D, 6'2", 198 lbs. (5th/139th/2008) 22 years old

From what I've heard, the book on Borowiecki is he's a sponge. Highly coachable and very motivated, Boro-cop was awarded the "hardest working player" in development camp this summer. Standing 6'2", 198 lbs (although he looked bigger in early July), Borowiecki won't wow you with his offensive prowess, but you will notice him on the ice. His best assets are his compete level and his overall aggressiveness. Best case scenario, he could peak as a #3/4 hard nosed, shutdown defenseman. In addition, Borowiecki is from the Ottawa area (just minutes from SBP) and has the character to become a leader and fan favorite.

4. Marcus Sorensen RW, 5'11", 161 lbs. (4th/106th/2010) 19 years old

When Sorensen was drafted, he was a bit of an unknown. Murray definitely went off the board in 2010, which had Sens fans scratching their heads. That was until they found out Sorensen was highly recommended by Anders Forsberg, former Senators European scout. After bringing us players like Karlsson, Lehner, Silfverberg, and Petersson, Forsberg's word was gospel in Ottawa and Sens fans became instantly intruiged by the Sorensen pick. From Eliteprospects.com: "An offensively skilled forward. Sörensen is a good skater and has fine puckhandling ability and soft hands. A pretty good scorer with some creativity. Of average size, but plays pretty big and gets involved physically. Must become stronger." I may get flamed for this, but I have a feeling Sorensen will challenge for the scoring lead in the SEL this year if he gets the icetime in Skellefteå. Boom/bust prospect due to his size, but he has top 6 skilled forward upside IMO.

5. JG Pageau C, 5'9", 164 lbs. (4th/96th/2011) 18 years old

Well if you're looking for darkhorses, Pageau is your man. Considering his stature, Pageau is definitely a project for the Sens and he has an uphill climb to regular icetime in the NHL. When Central Scouting released their midterm rankings, Pageau was listed at #170, but he fell off the charts when the final rankings were published. That being said, CS released their final rankings before the playoffs began, which is where JG really made his mark in the hockey world. Pageau scored 29 points (13G 16A) in 24 games, helping lead Gatineau to the finals and outplaying highly touted prospects like Sean Couturier along the way. Gatineau eventually lost out to powerhouse Saint John in a hard fought series that went to 6 games with 2 of the games going to double OT (Gatineau lost both). I've read mixed reports on his skating, but that seems to be the area that requires most improvement. Other than that, Pageau possesses a solid shot, soft hands, excellent vision, extreme compete level, and an elite offensive mindset, making him devastating on the powerplay. His own coach (Benoit Groulx) has compared him to players like Claude Giroux (who he coached as well) and Daniel Briere in both stature and skill set.

Honorable Mentions:

Derek Grant C, 6'3", 190 lbs. (4th/119th/2008) 21 years old - I'll be quite honest and say that I don't know too much about Grant, but some respected posters on the Sens Board are really excited by him, which makes me giddy as well. :nod: Hopefully one of them can fill in the blanks and let the masses know what kind of skill set he brings to the table and what kind of player he projects to be.

Fredrik Claesson D, 6'0", 198 lbs. (5th/126th/2011) 18 years old - like Grant above, I don't know too much about Claesson, but I've seen him referred to as Anton Volchenkov-lite on numerous occassions. A solid open ice hitter and strong on the boards, Claesson is recognized as a physical presence on the backhand. In addition to his strength, Claesson also possesses a great 1st pass and an accurate shot from the point. A solid darkhorse prospect that could peak as a #4/5 shutdown defenseman down the road.

The Fuhr*

Concerning Grant, his upside is similar to a Rene Bourque type winger.
Battles in corners, crash's the net looking for garbage goals... pretty physical and has good size. Potentially a very honest hard working second line talent.

The Fuhr*

Brad Malone for the Avs too is a darkhorse guy who will have a long career.
He is a big guy who plays a physical brand of hockey, is a terrific penalty killer and I think has the hands for 15-20 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad