Speculation: Could changes be coming to Calgary?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
That would be a massive lapse in judgement. #1 D for a complementary LW. Easy choice if that were actually on the table

There's going to be a lot of people that read this post and squirm just a bit. Most will cringe and read past it. I will posted on their behalf.

Yikes.

Thank you,
Signed - Everyone.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Barring a massive locker room divide, I'd be shocked if Tkachuk was dealt.

If Calgary doesn't see this group contending in the manner that they'd like, I can see a retool. It's so difficult with the flat Salary Cap though.

Gio is still great, but nearing the end of the road, and I can see a contender being interested, if they have a need.

There is some dissatisfaction with Monahan, but he's appropriately paid for a 2nd line C, and at times has shown more upside than that. It's hard to replace what he brings, even if he hasn't met expectations. Some comments about him not showing in the playoffs, yet 8 points in 10 games last year...

Of course Bennett's name has been out there, but so far no deals.

Tkachuk seemed to be genuinely enjoying the game last night. You could see Tkachuk engaging with all of his teammate positively. The reports of a locker room divide are likely exaggerated. No one likes to lose, and Tkachuk seems like the kind of guy who would be quite vocal when things are not going well.

IMO Tkachuk genuinely seems to like playing in Calgary. Gaudreau, Monahan, Backlund, and Giordano are far more likely to get traded than Tkachuk. If Calgary is going to go into a rebuild, why are they trading their youngest star forward? If there is a shakeup, you trade the older guys for assets and build around Tkachuk, Andersson, Valimaki, and Lindholm.

I don't think there ever was any real consideration of trading a key piece for futures. Treliving is the kind of GM who always has his feelers out there. If a #1 centre on another team isn't working out, he'd be quick to offer up a package. That's how he landed Dougie Hamilton (who he later turned into Lindholm and Hanifin) for a steal. That's just his style, and it's effective.

Last edited:

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Lol. I wish Calgary had a few more "complimentary" players then.
I do too.

But that doesn’t change the fact that I don’t believe Tkachuk can be the primary offensive player on a successful team. Use whatever term you want to describe that, but I don’t think there’s a legitimate argument that can be made to suggest he can be what Gaudreau is to the Flames.

He gets so much unfounded love from this board. Very good player, no doubt. Fantastic player even. But if you have a chance to grab a 1D for him you jump all over that.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
There's going to be a lot of people that read this post and squirm just a bit. Most will cringe and read past it. I will posted on their behalf.

Yikes.

Thank you,
Signed - Everyone.
A shame you’ll be the one who spoke out when people get over their crush on Tkachuk.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I do too.

But that doesn’t change the fact that I don’t believe Tkachuk can be the primary offensive player on a successful team. Use whatever term you want to describe that, but I don’t think there’s a legitimate argument that can be made to suggest he can be what Gaudreau is to the Flames.

He gets so much unfounded love from this board. Very good player, no doubt. Fantastic player even. But if you have a chance to grab a 1D for him you jump all over that.

Tkachuk is a unique player in the NHL these days. He isn't going to be a 100 point player, but he drives and creates his own offence. A complimentary player is a player who compliments and relies on another player for their offence. Tkachuk is not that.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Tkachuk is a unique player in the NHL these days. He isn't going to be a 100 point player, but he drives and creates his own offence. A complimentary player is a player who compliments and relies on another player for their offence. Tkachuk is not that.

He's one of the true "Power Forwards" in the game. That on it's own has tremendous value. How many legit power forwards are there in the league, who bring that physicality, plus can be 60+ point players? I don't care too much about Complimentary vs. not... His value is in being a true power forward.

Reactions: Lukin1978

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I agree he can create offence, but realistically he creates it from like a 10’ x 10’ area on the ice. He needs a guy that can carry the puck out of the DZ to put Matthew in a position to succeed. He’ll never be the guy to drive a line all over the ice. Although good defensively, he is generally bad on the wall making plays out of the DZ and struggles carrying the puck because of his skating. Tkachuk needs a strong C to get into a position to succeed, where he can actually drive and produce offence.

But to be more clear, when I say complementary, I’m talking more along the lines of within your core - he shouldn’t be your best piece there, but he can certainly be a piece of your core. If you have a chance to move a guy that fits that description for a more important position in a #1D who can be one of your best core pieces you take it and run.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I agree he can create offence, but realistically he creates it from like a 10’ x 10’ area on the ice. He needs a guy that can carry the puck out of the DZ to put Matthew in a position to succeed. He’ll never be the guy to drive a line all over the ice. Although good defensively, he is generally bad on the wall making plays out of the DZ and struggles carrying the puck because of his skating. Tkachuk needs a strong C to get into a position to succeed, where he can actually drive and produce offence.

But to be more clear, when I say complementary, I’m talking more along the lines of within your core - he shouldn’t be your best piece there, but he can certainly be a piece of your core. If you have a chance to move a guy that fits that description for a more important position in a #1D who can be one of your best core pieces you take it and run.

I disagree. Tkachuk produces consistently in all circumstances. His typical line mates are Backlund and Mangiapane. I like Backlund, but he's far from an offensive powerhouse.

You're vastly underestimating many of Tkachuk's individual skills. He has a great wrist shot with a quick release. He's also a very solid playmaker. And yes, he can jam his way into the 10' x 10' area in front of the net. He's far from a one trick pony though.

Not only does he provide all that, but he has the ability to completely rattle a team. Tkachuk basically took over the playoff series against Winnipeg. I'm not sure how you can describe that as complimentary.

Reactions: deleted user

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I actually agree with the bolded. I don't think Tkachuk is ever getting 99 points barring a somewhat lucky season. The thing is I don't think he needs to get that many points to be as or more effective a player than Gaudreau. If Tkachuk can bring 70 points and play his game of causing havoc, I would argue that is going to be a larger contributor to the Flames than Gaudreau going PPG or better.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I disagree. Tkachuk produces consistently in all circumstances. His typical line mates are Backlund and Mangiapane. I like Backlund, but he's far from an offensive powerhouse.

You're vastly underestimating many of Tkachuk's individual skills. He has a great wrist shot with a quick release. He's also a very solid playmaker. And yes, he can jam his way into the 10' x 10' area in front of the net. He's far from a one trick pony though.

Not only does he provide all that, but he has the ability to completely rattle a team. Tkachuk basically took over the playoff series against Winnipeg. I'm not sure how you can describe that as complimentary.
I think you’re vastly overrating some of his individual skills. I’m open to the idea that there are some things I might underrate in his skills, but I can’t accept the evidence you used to argue it.

Take claiming he has a great shot and release, for example. He’s realistically not very dangerous off the rush because he has a long, sweeping wrist shot. The majority of the time his shot is easily deflected out of play by the defenceman as a result. I just don’t see a quick release there at all.

There’s also the issue of our PP being drastically worse when the setup gets disorganized and Tkachuk ends up in Lindholm’s spot, in large part because Tkachuk simply can’t shoot as well as Lindholm and puts it into the crest regularly from that spot.

I’ll pay attention for it to see if your claim holds any water, but to this point my overwhelming conclusion is that Tkachuk’s shot and release are truly nothing special and something that actually limits his effectiveness off the rush.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I actually agree with the bolded. I don't think Tkachuk is ever getting 99 points barring a somewhat lucky season. The thing is I don't think he needs to get that many points to be as or more effective a player than Gaudreau. If Tkachuk can bring 70 points and play his game of causing havoc, I would argue that is going to be a larger contributor to the Flames than Gaudreau going PPG or better.
I’m not trying to dismiss all the other thing Tkachuk brings, but I strongly believe the most valuable and important trait is goal scoring and point production. Gaudreau going 82 points or better is much more valuable IMO.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I can see Gio going to Colorado. He would be a solid addition for them to make a cup run.

Gio for a 2022 first pick and Matt Calvert.

Giordano and Makar on the same pairing would be a sight to see.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I can see Gio going to Colorado. He would be a solid addition for them to make a cup run.

We would need to take more cap back, so Compher would have to be included.

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013

Their is 0 chance avalanche trade for gio. Especially not for a first round pick and their best bottom 6 player.
Girard
Byram
Graves
left side is full.
Edit: and I forget toews, who is also a lefty

Reactions: Richard88

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
My proposal of Monahan for Schmaltz + from AZ was laughed at by the usual suspects and now there is no way AZ would ever do that since Monahan's value, which was apparently at an all time low, is even lower now because he's been exposed and is actually trash.

Hitemwith4

Jul 1, 2019
why is everyone offering pieces for Matthew Tkachuk, hes the one player that seems untouchable, Hes only 23 years, IF flames want to make changes, seems like keeping a young star player is good option

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
why is everyone offering pieces for Matthew Tkachuk, hes the one player that seems untouchable, Hes only 23 years, IF flames want to make changes, seems like keeping a young star player is good option

HFBoards provide garbage offers for a 23 year old all-star.
More at 11.

Reactions: Boomstick

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
My proposal of Monahan for Schmaltz + from AZ was laughed at by the usual suspects and now there is no way AZ would ever do that since Monahan's value, which was apparently at an all time low, is even lower now because he's been exposed and is actually trash.

Exposed as trash yet is still producing at a better clip than Schmaltz, despite shooting at half of his career % to start the year? Funny how that works.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Since when is Monahan a trash?

how come trash is scoring more than schmaltz?

Reactions: Boomstick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad