Speculation: Could changes be coming to Calgary?

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
management cannot make a guy want to stay in a city. 100% presumption but I will be watching how this all plays out.

They have all the leverage in the world, Tkachuk would have to burn bridges to get out that quick. If they make that the choice he wants to make because of the team they built that's 100% on management.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don't see any way the Flames embrace a rebuild/retool whatever you want to call it. This offseason the Flames signed Markstrom (31) to a 6 year contract with a NMC. They signed Tanev (31) to a 4 year contract with a NTC. Giordano is 37 and is under contract for this year and next. Backlund is 31 with 4 more years, Lucic 32. Gaudreau has 2 seasons left before UFA. The Flames are in their window now, a rebuild would set this team back 5 years, especially given the difficult economic situation in the NHL. I imagine the Flames are looking at every possible option to improve their team, but I don't imagine they are looking for futures, if anything they are looking at deals to improve the team this season and next.

This doesn't mean the Flames would turn down a Stutzle and a 1st for Monahan but I also don't see them looking at deals for picks/prospect. I could see the Flames going hard after players like Granlund, Rakell, Gusev.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
So about the only team that probably would make an impact trade with them and one that they could avoid quarantine issues would be Ottawa. But what exactly is there to be made between the two teams?

As mentioned big trades are a rarity in a regular year. Now add quarantine and how many teams are really willing to not have a guy for two weeks? Even if CGY finds a team that is willing to make a trade, do they want to be without a key piece for 2 weeks?

I'd expect Ottawa to be interested in Monahan if he's available. Pretty sure they were calling on Dubois when he was available. Hard to say what they'd offer as Monahan is pretty tough to value right now.

Tierney + L. Brown as a starting point.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Can you trust Treliving to hire another coach? Gulutzan, Peters, Ward. I say no.

Peters was actually solid for us. The racism thing was the point of no return though. He was a sought after coach and they paid him well.

But yes, Gulutzan and Ward were terrible hires.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Peters was actually solid for us

I don't know what happened between year 1 and 2, but Peters was a complete mess in year 2. The team was complete garbage and had given up. I don't love a lot of things about Ward, but the team actually wants to play for him. The racism thing was the best thing that could have happened for the team (in the sense that we could get rid of Peters quickly).

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That’s a no from me, rt
Add OEL and Hanifin and Lucic (50%)

To CGY:
Clayton Keller
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Barrett Hayton
Jason Demers (50%)
CBJ '21 2nd
PIT '21 4th

To ARI:
Matthew Tkachuk
Noah Hanifin
Sam Bennett
Milan Lucic (50%)
EDM '21 3rd

^ most convoluted, unrealistic proposal I’ve ever made? Probably. :)

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I'd expect Ottawa to be interested in Monahan if he's available. Pretty sure they were calling on Dubois when he was available. Hard to say what they'd offer as Monahan is pretty tough to value right now.

Tierney + L. Brown as a starting point.

A bottom 6 and a bust? Sound good for the tank I guess.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'd be interested to know who Flames fans think are the absolutely untouchables that will survive this purge/retool.

Reactions: BHD

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Add OEL and Hanifin and Lucic (50%)

To CGY:
Clayton Keller
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Barrett Hayton
Jason Demers (50%)
CBJ '21 2nd
PIT '21 4th

To ARI:
Matthew Tkachuk
Noah Hanifin
Sam Bennett
Milan Lucic (50%)
EDM '21 3rd

^ most convoluted, unrealistic proposal I’ve ever made? Probably. :)

The rest of the deal aside, I don’t have any interest in trading Lucic at 50% retained. At that caphit he is actually a pretty great bottom 6 addition to a team. That alone makes me pass on this.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
That's a small group. Thanks for the reply.

Problem is we don't really know who these apparent locker room issues involve. Only that Tkachuk wants to play a hard nosed game and someone else in the core does not. Plenty of speculation abounds over who it (they) might be. We don't really know though. So I only eliminate the players I feel confident that it definitely would not be.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
If I'm Calgary I keep Lindholm, Tkachuk and Andersson, trade Monahan Gaudreau and Giordano and do a mini-rebuild.

Drafting a top D this year and a top C the next could turn things around.

Reactions: YP44

Ducksauce

Oct 30, 2010
Is a deal based around Keller and Hayton for Tkachuk as the key pieces at all appealing?

Not for me. I like Keller, but not huge on his contract. Hayton hasn't shown enough to interest me.

I don't think the Flames blow it up, but if they did decide to do a re-tool of some sort it would likely involve off loading guys that are UFA in the next 1-3 seasons, not guys they have control over. So main pieces available would be Gaudreau, Monahan, Rittich, Giordano, Bennett (still an RFA but seems likely to be moved in this scenario).

Core moving forward would be Lindholm, Tkachuk, Markstrom, Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki, Mangiapane and build from there.

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I think something would have to go very sideways here for anything to be imminent. By all accounts this is still a team that wants to push for playoffs and being without the return for a Gaudreau or Monahan for two weeks really hurts that. They’re very much still in the hunt with 4/5 against Otttawa coming up.

Find a way to squeeze out another win against Toronto and take care of business against Ottawa and you’re right there.

I expect some patience to be shown here by Treliving unless they have a hard time with the Sens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->