Speculation: Could changes be coming to Calgary?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Enjoy the 1st round bounces for the next couple seasons and the impending long term rebuild after we pull a Buffalo and let all our young guys lose value.

Thanks again for your uniformed opinion, not like anyone thinks you're right, but keep up the bashing :)

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Thanks again for your uniformed opinion, not like anyone thinks you're right, but keep up the bashing :)
You say that as if I'm not a Flames fan myself. Waaah anyone with a different opinion is uninformed. Keep it up dude you're adding so much with your comments about me and not the content.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
You say that as if I'm not a Flames fan myself. Waaah anyone with a different opinion is uninformed. Keep it up dude you're adding so much with your comments about me and not the content.
I honestly don't think Shmaltz is the ideal guy to target but I 100000% could not agree more with your sentiment. We are absolutely destined for mediocrity and non-stop first round playoff exits without a shakeup. Our one-dimensional scoring top-6 C Sean Monahan is on pace for 9 goals, maybe we'll get lucky and he'll hit 15? After everyone wrote last season off as just a down year, maybe his lack of footspeed/ability to do anything on the rush/consistency is catching up with him?
We're the lowest scoring team in a division that has Ottawa, our #1 D is heavily declining, and we have no identity. I'd rather a guy like Danault then Schmaltz, cause at least when he isn't scoring he's an absolute defensive beast night in and night out and can match against top guys. Or move Monahan for a guy like Arvidsson+, Rakell, Mantha, Sam Reinhart, etc. It's as if people only see goal totals with Monahan and ignore the rest of the game, and then when he regressed over the past year and a half we cling to his 2018 numbers and pretend he'll just bounce back and act like his sustainably mediocre play isn't the new normal. Lindholm is the 1C of this team, Backlund is a much better all around player than Monahan, and worst of all Monahan being tied to our only actual game-breaking talent is just sad for Johnny. We need speed, scoring, consistency, and to become tougher to play against. Monahan fits (at best) one of those categories. Let's find guys who can play the right way and let our actual scorers (Johnny, Tkachuk, Mang, Lindholm, sometimes Dube) be productive.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Oh no people definitely think he's right lol. Just not people like you who view this team with rose-colored glasses in the trade forum but not in the privacy of the Flames board. Check out the game day thread from last night to see which Flames fans are actually fed up with our performances night in and night out. Some of us just aren't afraid to actually acknowledge we're sustainably an average-at-best team and the need for us to be bold because we aren't ok with many more years of this garbage. Maybe if we had an elite roster I'd be like ok you're right no need to be drastic, but we aren't even close to that. Don't go throwing his opinion under the bus as if you're the only person who watches this team. Do you believe the past year and a half is a blip on Monahan's radar and that our core of forwards isn't below average?

Bond

May 10, 2012
I actually don't think most people disagree with changing the core. Schmaltz is just a weird player to latch onto and claim that he would turn the Flames around.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
We probably dont have the pieces unless PD can make a trade that doesn't destroy my entire day. However, reuniting the Tkatchuks in ottawa would be grand

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
I actually don't think most people disagree with changing the core. Schmaltz is just a weird player to latch onto and claim that he would turn the Flames around.
That's my fault for continuing the debate on that convo and making it seem like I'm all about Schmaltz. I really just meant it as an example of the type of guy we could/should target and the fit seemed right. Fair enough if I'm overvaluing him I have no qualms about being wrong about that part of the proposal.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Matthew tkachuk for Danault (signed) + Tatar (signed or not) + Caufield + 1st round pick 2021 + 1st round pick 2022

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Treliving should be gone but that’s more of an off-season thing I’d think.

Losing 6-1 to Ottawa is unacceptable.

Reactions: Devonator

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Keep Matt Tkachuk, keep the three young guys on D, keep Mangi... the rest can all go if the price is right. Maybe Lindy too.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
They need to trade Gaudreau and/or Monahan for a real shake up. I don't necessarily have a trade partner in mind but I think they could get great value for both.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
They need to trade Gaudreau and/or Monahan for a real shake up. I don't necessarily have a trade partner in mind but I think they could get great value for both.

I don't know if they get what they want till the offseason just due to quarantine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad