Speculation: Could changes be coming to Calgary?

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
I don’t expect anything overly imminent. Seems tough to move big pieces in the middle of the season in normal times, let alone with quarantine, potential for the draft to be pushed back, etc.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Changes would have been made already if it was that easy.

covid/quarantine rules really hinder trading with 24/30 teams, and Calgary is still in the race for the playoffs, even though we’ve fallen a lap behind.

Reactions: Boomstick and YP44

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I like other things.
Thats when you realize that status quo isnt quite so bad

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
was surprised nothing major happened this past off season. Sure sounds like it was not for a lacking of trying.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

covid/quarantine rules really hinder trading with 24/30 teams, and Calgary is still in the race for the playoffs, even though we’ve fallen a lap behind.

this.
I think Denault would be a good target because of this. Not sure Montreal's motivation for moving him though.

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

Don't think anything would have happened regardless. They just signed Ward and are paying Peters still. The rope is long for him.

And for any big trade, it takes more than a few weeks to get it done in the best of circumstances.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So about the only team that probably would make an impact trade with them and one that they could avoid quarantine issues would be Ottawa. But what exactly is there to be made between the two teams?

As mentioned big trades are a rarity in a regular year. Now add quarantine and how many teams are really willing to not have a guy for two weeks? Even if CGY finds a team that is willing to make a trade, do they want to be without a key piece for 2 weeks?

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Hard to put a package together but with Burke going to the Pens maybe they come together come the offseason.

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
If Calgary is really feeling like they need to change the room, I wonder if theyve taken a hard look at the Canadian Division and decide to sell for the future.

With The Leafs, Montreal, The Oilers and Winnipeg all being arguably better SO FAR than them, they might decide its time to start a rebuild.

If thats true, I can see them deciding to move on from Tkachuk, and the best team that I can think of for Tkachuk to go to is none other than, you guessed it, The Ottawa Senators.

Just think about how much shit the Tkachuk brothers would get up to if they played on the same team. Would it be fun to play against? Hell no. But would it be fun to watch? Hell yes.

Now you gotta wonder what the price for Tkachuk would be, and if Ottawa would even have the pieces to send. But you have to imagine that Pierre Dorian would be trying his best to pull a Burkie and get the brothers back together.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
If Calgary is really feeling like they need to change the room, I wonder if theyve taken a hard look at the Canadian Division and decide to sell for the future.

With The Leafs, Montreal, The Oilers and Winnipeg all being arguably better SO FAR than them, they might decide its time to start a rebuild.

If thats true, I can see them deciding to move on from Tkachuk, and the best team that I can think of for Tkachuk to go to is none other than, you guessed it, The Ottawa Senators.

Just think about how much shit the Tkachuk brothers would get up to if they played on the same team. Would it be fun to play against? Hell no. But would it be fun to watch? Hell yes.

Now you gotta wonder what the price for Tkachuk would be, and if Ottawa would even have the pieces to send. But you have to imagine that Pierre Dorian would be trying his best to pull a Burkie and get the brothers back together.

Why the hell would they trade Tkachuk?

Reactions: TCNorthstars

LucicAndChong

formerly known as Big Sugar
Jan 22, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I guess it depends on how they view the puck flipping incident and the team in general.

Are they upset at Matthew for how he reacted? Do they feel like he is draining on all the other players on the team? If so then it makes sense to trade him.

On the other hand if they are upset at the team not backing up Matthew, then they probably trade the other valuable players on the team ala Monahan or Gaudreau

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I guess it depends on how they view the puck flipping incident and the team in general.

Are they upset at Matthew for how he reacted? Do they feel like he is draining on all the other players on the team? If so then it makes sense to trade him.

On the other hand if they are upset at the team not backing up Matthew, then they probably trade the other valuable players on the team ala Monahan or Gaudreau

Well if they are upset at Tkachuk I'm switching teams when he gets traded

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

could get the largest return, maybe they don't see him as a Flame past his current deal, maybe if the room is Tkachuk vs others it is easier to trade one player than a few.

I think they should keep Tkachuk and if some of the players want him to tone it down and change how he plays they should deal those players.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
On the other hand, if the Flames beat the Leafs tonight the bandwagon can start to load up again. Plan the parade route!

The difference between winning and losing is very small, and I don't think it takes much to recover (or fall) in a seven-team division with only intra-divisional play.

Things could look entirely different for the Flames -- or the Leafs, or any team -- two weeks from now.

The season is not over yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->