Proposal: Cory Schneider to WPG

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I just can't fathom that people think a 30 year old goalie that has played less than 300 games is "old"

Just for reference- Schneider and Quick are both 30.

Quick has played 475 regular season games and Schneider has played 270.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
So many goalies coming up available in the next year, but let's target one with about as high as possible value from a team that absolutely can't afford to lose him.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Difference is the Canucks were shopping Schneider.

Devils aren't. If the Jets wanted Schneider, they would be paying his value and more to pry him out of New Jersey. Connor would entice the Devils likely, Hellebuyck would fit well giving us a young goaltender with potential, and the first round pick might be extra but it's what it would take to get it done.

If the Jets want Schneider, the package would have to be Connor + Hellebuyck + 1st. I don't think anything else gets it done and that's with staying away from the Jets true untouchables like Ehlers, Laine, etc.

I can see why Devils would want it but that price is ridiculous for Schneider.

NJD are not shopping him but they should be. Thinking they are going to be a contender anytime soon is just delusional. Not trying to belittle your team. Devils have some good players. Just not enough.

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
So many goalies coming up available in the next year, but let's target one with about as high as possible value from a team that absolutely can't afford to lose him.

The thing about Winnipeg is if there is a specific player you want getting him via trade is probably the safest bet. I've been to Winnipeg, I like it, but they certainly could have issues drawing top of the market FA players.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

NJD are not shopping him but they should be. Thinking they are going to be a contender anytime soon is just delusional. Not trying to belittle your team. Devils have some good players. Just not enough.

ya, they should definitely trade a top 3-5 goalie signed on a great contract who is still young

they'll never be good again! :help:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The thing about Winnipeg is if there is a specific player you want getting him via trade is probably the safest bet. I've been to Winnipeg, I like it, but they certainly could have issues drawing top of the market FA players.

...or you could draft and develop.

The Jets will not rely on attracting free agents to build their franchise. Not many smart franchises will build that way in this day and age. If you are signing expensive UFAs, it means you haven't done a very good job of building the roster using drafting and smart trading.

Even so, NHL players will follow the money. Lucic went to Edmonton from LA. Okposo went from NYC to Buffalo. Meanwhile, Kesler demanded and got almost $6.8M a year for the "privilege" of playing in Anaheim.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
It baffles me how people think that the EASports / Eastside Hockey Manager mentality of building a team works in real life.

The Devils have no interest in trading Schneider barring a massive, MASSIVE overpayment. It's not all about tanking. How much maturation and growth would their young players experience if the Devils made it to the playoffs this year? That kind of stuff is huge, and conveniently neglected by too many fans. Winning breeds winning.

Hell, why were the Devils able to be contenders for so long in the 90s/00s even though the drafted so low? Part of it is scouting and good trades, but a huge part of it is the above. Ask Gomez, Elias, Colin White, Parise, Gionta, etc how important it was to play on teams that were making the playoffs every year, and to be surrounded by amazing players in the lockerroom.

If your young players lose year in, year out...that's a tough thing for that group to overcome, no matter how much skill and potential they have. My instincts say that's exactly what happened in Edmonton.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'm wondering if Rask is a more realistic target than Schneider TBH. But only if Boston keeps dismantling their roster for a rebuild.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I see a lot of comments like this. I really just don't get it. Schneider doesn't make the Devils a contender. He doesn't even make them a playoff team. He is wasted in NJ. It would be different if he was several years younger but he isn't (and NO, I'm not calling him old but he will be by the time NJD can build a team for him).

If he was 2-3 years younger he would make sense for the Jets but not at 30. Not with the goalie potential the Jets have. After the Jets PO appearance I advocated trading for Schneider. That team fit his age but the Jets decided to go younger instead. They no longer fit.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
It makes me cringe when fans of struggling / mediocre teams don't want to part with their prospects for solid established NHL players that solve a glaring need for their team.

Cory Schneider is a top-10 goalie in the league, maybe top-5.

Jets fans = no thanks! we'll just roll the dice with Connor and hope Hellebuyck pans out!

:shakehead

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I see a lot of comments like this. I really just don't get it. Schneider doesn't make the Devils a contender. He doesn't even make them a playoff team. He is wasted in NJ. It would be different if he was several years younger but he isn't (and NO, I'm not calling him old but he will be by the time NJD can build a team for him).

If he was 2-3 years younger he would make sense for the Jets but not at 30. Not with the goalie potential the Jets have. After the Jets PO appearance I advocated trading for Schneider. That team fit his age but the Jets decided to go younger instead. They no longer fit.

so how many more years do you think it will be until the Devils are playoff contenders? 2? 3? longer?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
ya, they should definitely trade a top 3-5 goalie signed on a great contract who is still young

they'll never be good again! :help:

30 is not old but it is not 'still young' either. Schneider's window is something like 3-5 years. The Devils won't contend for at least 4, probably longer. In the meantime Schneider is just keeping them drafting later when he could be converted into assets that would be a better fit for age.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
A 30 year old goalie is still 30 years old no matter how you attempt to spin it

thank you for that ground breaking analysis.

So are you telling me that there is no difference in a goalie that has started 500+ games in his career (including playoffs) like Jonathan Quick vs. a goalie that has started less than 300 like Cory Schneider? you are just assuming every 30 year old is the same when in reality that is not the case.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
30 is not old but it is not 'still young' either. Schneider's window is something like 3-5 years. The Devils won't contend for at least 4, probably longer. In the meantime Schneider is just keeping them drafting later when he could be converted into assets that would be a better fit for age.

these are the types of posts that I absolutely love. 4+ years?! :laugh:Do you understand how much things change over the course of ~4 years in sports?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
thank you for that ground breaking analysis.

So are you telling me that there is no difference in a goalie that has started 500+ games in his career (including playoffs) like Jonathan Quick vs. a goalie that has started less than 300 like Cory Schneider? you are just assuming every 30 year old is the same when in reality that is not the case.

No, what I'm telling you is that 30 is not young for any NHL player regardless of how many games that player has in the league

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Maybe you're right. That's why for a package like Connor + Hellebuyck + pick I would consider trading Schneider solely because we could take two steps back at goalie while building a talented team rather than rushing a bit under Schneider's window.

But we're currently going with the same approach the Rangers used toward the end of the 2000s right now. Stay competitive and build your team smart. We might not end up with the deepest team nor do we need a flashy prospect pool, but with an elite goaltender, we can still make some noise in a couple of years. To top that off, Shero has worked wonders with this team. In less than two years, he transformed a Larsson, a 2nd, and a 3rd into Palmieri and Hall.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Shero has been in charge of the Devils for like 16 months. The changes he has made to this team over that time span have me excited for the future. We are also loaded with draft picks the next 1-2 years as well.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Schneider for Connor I'd probably do. We'd have a tending duo like the Canucks had in their heyday where you have a great guy in every night.

Paying what Schneider is worth doesn't make sense though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad