Proposal: Cory Schneider to WPG

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
More like, why trade a top prospect for an old goalie, when goalies can be had relatively cheaply via free agency each year (or in trade for that matter), and especially for an old goalie that doesn't fit in age-wise with the balance of the young roster the Jets are building?

Hellebuyck Hutchinson Comrie is fine for Winnipeg as the roster sits currently. Plus, they get to keep Kyle Connor versus having him blossom elsewhere.

Still a pass from the Jets.

LOL Schneider turned 30 this year. probably have 7-8 years left...:laugh:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
For the third time:

Young teams should not trade blue chip prospects or good young players for aging goalies unless they are one piece away from winning a cup. What makes this make even less sense is that we already have a blue chip goalie who has a good chance of being a high level goaltender.

Making a trade for Cory Schneider would be a mismanagement of assets.

maybe they should dump an aging blake wheeler before he retires?
he is the same age as schneider

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Surprised Jets fans aren't more interested.

Goaltending was their weak spot last year.

It's their weak spot every year.

And the one year they actually make the playoffs, Pavelec has this complete fluke of a .920 season.

They have a goalie that looks to be better than Pavelec now, which isn't saying much, since there's probably 45-50 better goalies in the NHL than Pavelec.

But Winnipeg management gives Pavelec the most undeserved rope of any goaltender in the NHL. Cam Ward is the only other one that gets similar rope, but at least he won a cup and a Conn Smythe with his team, once upon a very long time ago.

If the Jets really allow Pavelec to be their starter this year over Hellebuyck (provided he doesn't completely bomb and fall flat on his face), they'll be venturing even past the territory that Devils management gave to Brodeur in 2013-2014. Which is pretty pathetic for a sad sack of **** goaltender, that's had one .920 season and only one other full season of even hitting the 91% mark.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
This thread is now in the pure comedy range. Jets aren't giving up blue chip prospect or two or blue chip plus a 1st for Cory. Devils aren't trading Cory and if someone wanted to trade for Cory it would be a win now mode team who's window to win is in the next 2-3 years max........this is not the very young Jets team.

/thread

Exactly! Dallas is the team that should be looking at Schneider.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Exactly! Dallas is the team that should be looking at Schneider.

Pretty much. Dallas and Nashville (stick a fork in Rinne if he fails to cross the 91% barrier for the fourth time in five years) are teams that would benefit more from Schneider. Add in St Louis if Allen once again implodes during the playoffs.

But as a Devils fan, I don't want him traded. I think he has at least 5 years left of elite play, if he doesn't start having chronic injuries like Rinne, Bobrovsky or Lehtonen. Elite goaltenders play at a high level into their mid 30's. We're already seeing it in modern day with Luongo, who has a ton of miles. Lundqvist is turning 35 this year and doesn't look to be slowing down yet. I think Schneider can sustain it. Bishop also is the same age and has very low miles, but Schneider is more like Braden Holtby (1989) in terms of NHL mileage. Someone 3 years or so younger.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
LOL Schneider turned 30 this year. probably have 7-8 years left...:laugh:

When you consider Schneider has only been a full-time starter for about three full seasons altogether, I think it's safe to say that Schneider has a lot of good years left. At least four or five elite seasons. Furthermore, the narrative that good goalies can be had in free agency or that there's always a good goalie available I think is more of a myth than reality. True, the market for goalies is usually small but a top tier goalie is always going to be expensive. Bishop or Fleury, for example, would both probably command at least a first round pick. The narrative that you can just plug any average guy in net probably gets you to where Dallas is with their goaltending.

I don't think this makes a ton of sense from either side though. I truly think that the Devils should be thinking playoffs. They have an elite goalie, Cammalleri is healthy and they added a top tier winger in Hall. I honestly think that if Hall can push the Devils to about 20th overall in goals for (I realize this is a big jump but I believe), that they have a good shot at a wild card. Plus, aren't the Jets very high on Connor Hellebuyck? If I were the Jets, I would see what I have in him for a full season before I look for outside help.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets pass. Why? Because they are building to the future and they have hellebuyck. Bottom line... big fan of Schneider but as a Jets fan who gets and sees what the Jets are doing in terms of draft and development.... I have to pass.

Love the guy since his Moose days but certainly not giving up Connor or whatever other fantasy land players people think it would take to get him.

Agreed. No interest trading away significant future pieces of our team at this stage of our evolution for a 30 year old goalie I don't care who he is or how good he is at this exact moment. We're building a team that will be a threat in the playoffs year after year....not a flash in the pan for a couple years only.

Look at our starting lineup in 2011 and compare it to 2016....were light years better now by staying the course. Our goalies are set for this year, no interest in Cory for what he would cost. Pass

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Exactly. Why trade a prospect for an elite player, when that prospect could become an elite player?

Because by the time the team is ready to contend said elite goalie could be over the hill. As someone else mentioned it's timing. If the Jets could get an equivalent level goalie when they are ready to push for Conference finals then yes do it. But when you are still building towards that the timing is wrong.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Exactly. Why trade a prospect for an elite player, when that prospect could become an elite player?

One has to base this on logic and the assessment on where the team is in its ability to contend.

Because you are obtaining an elite player(if one thinks C/S is elite) and addressing a team weakness for a prospect who might not turn out the way you project? Especially with the return being an elite or really good goalie. There is usually less movement in that position once a guy gets established on a particular team. If that goalie puts the team in a position to be a contender as opposed to a perennial loser also makes a difference.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Agreed. No interest trading away significant future pieces of our team at this stage of our evolution for a 30 year old goalie I don't care who he is or how good he is at this exact moment. We're building a team that will be a threat in the playoffs year after year....not a flash in the pan for a couple years only.

Look at our starting lineup in 2011 and compare it to 2016....were light years better now by staying the course. Our goalies are set for this year, no interest in Cory for what he would cost. Pass

If your team is light years better then they were in 2011 why did they have 6 less points last year then 2011?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
And you arent goin to like what you would really get for the guy now that he is north of 30 just like in all the other threads where you play Schenider apologist. No playoffs, no vezina nomination..............ever.

A) he HAS played in the playoffs, so you're wrong there
B) who cares about award nominations? anyone with half a brain realizes Schneider should have been nominated last year and he probably would've been had he not gotten hurt

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's their weak spot every year.

And the one year they actually make the playoffs, Pavelec has this complete fluke of a .920 season.

They have a goalie that looks to be better than Pavelec now, which isn't saying much, since there's probably 45-50 better goalies in the NHL than Pavelec.

But Winnipeg management gives Pavelec the most undeserved rope of any goaltender in the NHL. Cam Ward is the only other one that gets similar rope, but at least he won a cup and a Conn Smythe with his team, once upon a very long time ago.

If the Jets really allow Pavelec to be their starter this year over Hellebuyck (provided he doesn't completely bomb and fall flat on his face), they'll be venturing even past the territory that Devils management gave to Brodeur in 2013-2014. Which is pretty pathetic for a sad sack of **** goaltender, that's had one .920 season and only one other full season of even hitting the 91% mark.

All signs point to Helle getting the starting job. They'll want Comrie carrying the load in the AHL. Hutch will likely be sent down early in the year or before it begins (hoping they can sneak him through waivers). Pavelec will be given some starts but unless he plays above his average he'll be more of a spectator. The only good season Pavelec had was when Hutch stole his job. So maybe playing second fiddle to Helle will bring out the best in poor Ondrej. Either way it's his last season with us. Need to make room for Jamie Phillips and other goalie prospects to move up the pipe line.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
If your team is light years better then they were in 2011 why did they have 6 less points last year then 2011?

Do you not remember how incredibly CRAPPY the Southeast division was? The Jets team from the last 2 years would have rolled over all the teams (minus one per season) easily. They had more points because there was so many free bingo spots on the card. It's a little tougher to rack up points in the central. Plus outside of special teams (which was the demise of the team last year) the Jets were a very good 5 on 5 team. The 2011 Jets are no where near as good as the current roster.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
maybe they should dump an aging blake wheeler before he retires?
he is the same age as schneider

Yes, because "dumping" Wheeler is the same as not wanting to part with a blue chip prospect for a 30 year old.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post

One has to base this on logic and the assessment on where the team is in its ability to contend.

Because you are obtaining an elite player(if one thinks C/S is elite) and addressing a team weakness for a prospect who might not turn out the way you project? Especially with the return being an elite or really good goalie. There is usually less movement in that position once a guy gets established on a particular team. If that goalie puts the team in a position to be a contender as opposed to a perennial loser also makes a difference.

my question is when did Oconner become an elite prospect?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Kyle Connor? The guy who just became the 4th player in NCAA history to be a Hobey Baker finalist in his freshman season?

Depends on your cutoff range for elite prospects, I suppose?

or what elite is. CAn you give me the other four elite freshman who also were nominated? I know on was Eichel who went 2nd--who were the other two?Parise and?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad