Proposal: Cory Schneider to WPG

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Helly should be good enough to lead this team to the playoffs as soon as this season. He's also 6 years younger.

No thanks

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
You guys are just too young of a team haha. Not used to the crushing disappointed that the vast majority of goalie prospects brings.

Or maybe I'm cynical from being a Flames fan.

Those prospects would be gone so fast I wouldn't have time to blink haha. You're whole team is based on developing a #1 goalie, terrifying thought for me.

NhiALxH_zps6x80pchf.gif

Both of your goalies were acquired in the off-season, correct? There is nothing preventing the Jets from doing something similar in a year or two from now if need be.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
1st thing, Cory is a very good goalie. I won't keep stating that fact.

That being said I wouldn't give Connor straight up for him, never mind ++. I wouldn't give anything of value for him. Easy pass from Jets

:help:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
NhiALxH_zps6x80pchf.gif

Both of your goalies were acquired in the off-season, correct? There is nothing preventing the Jets from doing something similar in a year or two from now if need be.

And I'm still worried about them. I have Cory only behind Price.

I'd be all over that trade. Jankowski/whoever and Gilles would be gone.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
NhiALxH_zps6x80pchf.gif

Both of their goalies aren't nearly as good as Corey Schneider. You can get other teams cast offs, sure, or guys who have never carried the load for 60+ games, but there are 2 proven goalies we know who should be available in the near future (Bishop and Fleury), and more teams than that who need to shore up goaltending before they contend (Winnipeg, Calgary only has Elliot for this year, NY Islanders if Halak can't stay healthy and Greiss was a flash in the pan, Florida with Lou aging and Reimer being not elite, Dallas, the Vegas team will want a solid goalie...etc)

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
You guys are just too young of a team haha. Not used to the crushing disappointed that the vast majority of goalie prospects brings.

Those prospects would be gone so fast I wouldn't have time to blink haha. You're whole team is based on developing a #1 goalie, terrifying thought for me.

Goalies are the easiest piece to add, and the Jets have one of the best goalie prospects in hockey. Not adding Schneider at high cost when we have Hellebuyck or could add a lesser goalie for much lower value.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Goalies are the easiest piece to add, and the Jets have one of the best goalie prospects in hockey. Not adding Schneider at high cost when we have Hellebuyck or could add a lesser goalie for much lower value.

Elite (or near elite) goalies are never easy to add. I agree that Winnipeg might have one in Hellebuyck, but he also may not be. Schneider is a guaranteed top tier starter for the next few years, and he got his starting job late so should have less wear and tear on his body than others his age.

I guess it all comes down to this. Would you rather have a guaranteed top 10 goalie (some say top 5) for the next 5 years (possibly more), or go into the future hoping that your prospect is going to be just as good? Your call, and I won't say you are wrong if you were to pick either. I don't think choosing either option is incorrect, its just safer to have Schneider in my opinion.

No harm in holding Hellebuyck for another year to see get a better idea of if he is going to be that guy either. The Jets should improve a lot this year (I think they underachieved last season), but aren't a cup contender yet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Nope. The Jets still have a huge passel of assets to trade if their prospect goalies don't pan out. Considering most goalie prospects, Hellebuyck is one of the more solid ones, especially considering that he has already shown good performance at the NHL level.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Asset management, Cory isn't required. Why pay a high price for a good asset that isn't required?

No need

There is a need. It's all about prioritizing which needs are more important. Star starting goalie, or potential star starting goalie and forward prospect who should be a good top sixer in the future?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Jankowski and Gillies? Cmon man are you kidding me?

Jankowski had 110 points in 148 games in his NCAA career, Connor had 71 points in 38 games. Gillies best year is significantly worse than Hellebuyck's worst in the NCAA.

Of course you'd give up those two for Schnieder, they have no where close to the same value as Connor and Hellebuyck

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Elite (or near elite) goalies are never easy to add. I agree that Winnipeg might have one in Hellebuyck, but he also may not be. Schneider is a guaranteed top tier starter for the next few years, and he got his starting job late so should have less wear and tear on his body than others his age.

I guess it all comes down to this. Would you rather have a guaranteed top 10 goalie (some say top 5) for the next 5 years (possibly more), or go into the future hoping that your prospect is going to be just as good? Your call, and I won't say you are wrong if you were to pick either. I don't think choosing either option is incorrect, its just safer to have Schneider in my opinion.

No harm in holding Hellebuyck for another year to see get a better idea of if he is going to be that guy either. The Jets should improve a lot this year (I think they underachieved last season), but aren't a cup contender yet.

Your question is too simple. The proposition is either waiting to see if a top-end goalie prospect pans out, or whether we should abandon that prospect and trade him and another top prospect for a more sure goalie. At this point, there is no way that the Jets will abandon Hellebuyck and trade a lot of value for an expensive veteran. If they are wrong about Hellebuyck (and Comrie), they can trade for a goalie later. They have a ton of assets that they could move, but won't move them for a goalie at this point.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Nope. The Jets still have a huge passel of assets to trade if their prospect goalies don't pan out. Considering most goalie prospects, Hellebuyck is one of the more solid ones, especially considering that he has already shown good performance at the NHL level.

Speaking of Hellebuyck, is there any word on if he will be getting the starting job this year?

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Jankowski and Gillies is not the same as value Connor / Hellebuyck, at all.

It would be a different story if the Jets could nab Schneider for Lowry / Armia and Comrie. That's closer to a Jankowski / Gillies value.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Speaking of Hellebuyck, is there any word on if he will be getting the starting job this year?

If he doesn't crash and burn during the training camp, I'm expecting at least about the same workload as last year. 35-40 games, maybe more. This would be the perfect season to test if he's ready, as Pavelec's contract is running out. It remains to be seen if that's what's going to happen or not, but for god's sake, there's no reason not to do it.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
There is a need. It's all about prioritizing which needs are more important. Star starting goalie, or potential star starting goalie and forward prospect who should be a good top sixer in the future?

We had a need and it's strongly believed to be fixed already. We have Hutch (bit of a long shot), Helle (blue chip prospect who already played a limited number of games and looked very good), Comry (good prospect) and one more decent goalie prospect.

So goaltending is far from a big need for us to address anymore then we have already.

We have other bigger issues to address, goalies are far down the list. No interest in paying a pretty price for a 30 year old goalie we don't need

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Timing is an important part of why we aren't interested. We have our (hopefully) young goalie in Hellebuyck. We have a young roster, why should we toss out a blue chip in Connor just for a 30 year old albeit elite goalie. The only reason we should do that is if we think he's the missing piece and our window is now. Which I don't think it is. It just doesn't make a ton of sense.

It's rational talk like this that will end most of the threads on this board and prevent hurt feelings. What are you trying to do, ruin HFBoards?

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I could see the Jets doing a similar move in a couple of years if Helle and Comrie both become busts, which seems unlikely. In a couple years tho they'll be contenders so it might be worth trading prospects for a goalie, but they'll probably have developed one from the draft.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
Doesn't work for either team. The jets already have a promising young goalie in the system and about the last thing the devils need to do is trade an elite goalie near the top if his game. Plus the devils would be asking for far more then the jets would be willing to pay in order to move their goalie (the price would probably include Laine ... a price that the jets wouldn't want to pay).

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Seems like you guys are happy missing the playoffs and letting another year of ELC's fall away for the sake of development.

Wish you luck.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Timing is an important part of why we aren't interested. We have our (hopefully) young goalie in Hellebuyck. We have a young roster, why should we toss out a blue chip in Connor just for a 30 year old albeit elite goalie. The only reason we should do that is if we think he's the missing piece and our window is now. Which I don't think it is. It just doesn't make a ton of sense.

#1 goalies capable of carrying a heavy work load are worth more then the offer. Devils say no

See above post about timing. That works for NJD too. They need to trade Schneider for as much future value as they can get. He is wasted there. Devils won't be a contender before he is 34 and past his peak. Much as I'd like to have him the Jets are not the team he needs to go to. Not for that price.

member 157595

Not a NJ fan but why the blue hell do they move Schneider for a prospect?

From Winnipeg's end, if they move Connor they should be looking for a NHL-ready (or nearly NHL-ready), elite LHD prospect in return (since no one's giving up an established star LHD for Connor in the first place.)

This does not work for either team...especially not for New Jersey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad