Proposal: Cory Schneider to WPG

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Schneider's overrated.

yea cus he let in 4 goals in 1 exhibition game for the States, that erases his last 6-7 amazing seasons in the NHL.

never change HF :laugh:

hes an elite #1 on an amazing deal for the next 5 seasons, he wont be cheap.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Connor would not get it done. Schneider is elite, and elite goalies don't get traded. On the other hand, we have Hellebuyck. Want to see what he does first before doing anything stupid. We would also lose him in the expansion, should this trade happen.

Another proposal which just doesn't make sense for either side.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Starting point would be Hellybuck(sp?), Connor, and then a pick.

Winnipeg is a playoff team the moment that happens. I'd do it.

Schneider is terrific, but this is a clear overpay from the Jets.

Schneider was already a top-notch goalie when he was traded for the Horvat pick straight up.

Goalies don't tend to get the return that they might merit in terms of value in trades.

The Jets won't be in the market for a goalie unless Hellebuyck crashes and burns. He's seen as a legit #1 goalie.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Guess it's just a matter of opinion. Roll the dice that one of your goalies is ever half the goalie Cory is and hope Connor hit's his ceiling. In the mean time, Big Buff is aging and your ELCs have an expiration date.

I'd take 5 or 6 years of top 5 goaltending and run with it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Schneider is terrific, but this is a clear overpay from the Jets.

Schneider was already a top-notch goalie when he was traded for the Horvat pick straight up.

Goalies don't tend to get the return that they might merit in terms of value in trades.

The Jets won't be in the market for a goalie unless Hellebuyck crashes and burns. He's seen as a legit #1 goalie.

Difference is the Canucks were shopping Schneider.

Devils aren't. If the Jets wanted Schneider, they would be paying his value and more to pry him out of New Jersey. Connor would entice the Devils likely, Hellebuyck would fit well giving us a young goaltender with potential, and the first round pick might be extra but it's what it would take to get it done.

If the Jets want Schneider, the package would have to be Connor + Hellebuyck + 1st. I don't think anything else gets it done and that's with staying away from the Jets true untouchables like Ehlers, Laine, etc.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
Considering that the Jets haven't had good goaltending since they came back to Canada, yes, you should explain it.

For the third time:

Young teams should not trade blue chip prospects or good young players for aging goalies unless they are one piece away from winning a cup. What makes this make even less sense is that we already have a blue chip goalie who has a good chance of being a high level goaltender.

Making a trade for Cory Schneider would be a mismanagement of assets.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Everybody knows how good Cory Schneider is. He's not an old man but he's not young anymore. We aren't going to give up a blue chip young player who fits in perfectly in our young team for an elite goalie that most likely won't align with our window. Neither side should be interested in this trade, really.

Your window would open with Schneider. There's no guarantee it will with the prospects you cherish

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Guess it's just a matter of opinion. Roll the dice that one of your goalies is ever half the goalie Cory is and hope Connor hit's his ceiling. In the mean time, Big Buff is aging.

I'd take 5 or 6 years of top 5 goaltending and run with it.

Jets will gauge whether Hellebuyck is a legit #1 this year and next. If not, then they'll look at trading for a #1 goalie (assuming Comrie doesn't develop into one, either).

At this point it's premature for the Jets to trade big value for an elite goalie.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
I'm surprised the Jets aren't interested in Schneider. I imagined an argument over value. Obviously Jets fans understand their team needs better than I do.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
This isn't the Toronto Maple Leafs of old; the Jets aren't about to sell-off the farm simply for a quick fix. They are a draft and develop franchise and will stick to that plan. For some reason some people are writing proposals that include top prospects leaving Winnipeg in exchange for mature players. When doing that, they are incorrectly assuming the Jets will forgo the development portion of their organizational plan.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg
Your window would open with Schneider. There's no guarantee it will with the prospects you cherish

That very well may be true. Or Cory stops being elite in a couple of years and Connor becomes an all-star. You can spin it either way. This just doesn't make a ton of sense to me to trade something most likely not at its peak value in Connor for something at its absolute peak (disregarding age) in value in Schneider.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Winnipeg isn't that young of a team. Sure they have some nice prospects coming up but they're already knocking on the door. Strike when the ELCs are still on. That's something Calgary and Edmonton aren't capable of doing. Huge advantage

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
For the third time:

Young teams should not trade blue chip prospects or good young players for aging goalies unless they are one piece away from winning a cup. What makes this make even less sense is that we already have a blue chip goalie who has a good chance of being a high level goaltender.

Making a trade for Cory Schneider would be a mismanagement of assets.

You don't think the Jets would be competing for a cup with Schneider?

In my opinion, they would easily be a playoff team with him and depending on Ehlers, Wheeler, and the D prospects look they could be a contender in another year or so.

Schneider is only 30, so this notion of an aging goaltender doesn't really qualify too much. He still has at the very least a few years of solid play in him. Look how Roy, Lundqvist, Brodeur, Nabokov, and just about every other all-star goalie played through their thirties.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Our window might open with Hellebuyck (and maybe Comrie), so they'll give him a longer look before even considering a big goalie trade. They would be nuts to trade a goalie on his ELC that looks like he could be a legit starter. There's a reason that Bishop and MAF are more likely to be traded than Vasilevskiy and Murray, respectively. Hellebuyck has a similar pedigree and development trajectory as those two young goalies. The Jets have a year or maybe two before making a decision. At the very least, the Jets will wait until after this season and perhaps look at nabbing a goalie before the Expansion Draft if they are unhappy with Hellebuyck's development.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

In my opinion, they would easily be a playoff team with him and depending on Ehlers, Wheeler, and the D prospects look they could be a contender in another year or so.

Schneider is only 30, so this notion of an aging goaltender doesn't really qualify too much. He still has at the very least a few years of solid play in him. Look how Roy, Lundqvist, Brodeur, Nabokov, and just about every other all-star goalie played through their thirties.

Jets would struggle with the salary cap with Schneider for a couple of players on ELC.

Master Scheif

dirt nasty
Jun 7, 2014
Winnipeg

You could be right. But i'd like to think we can get a goalie for less than Schneider would cost that would make more sense.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm surprised the Jets aren't interested in Schneider. I imagined an argument over value. Obviously Jets fans understand their team needs better than I do.

Jets fans are painfully aware that they need goaltending to compete. They are also quite encouraged by the development of Hellebuyck and Comrie. There are a few examples in the NHL now of young goalies with similar trajectories as Hellebuyck coming in and taking over the #1 role. The Jets are most likely to try that route first.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Our window might open with Hellebuyck (and maybe Comrie), so they'll give him a longer look before even considering a big goalie trade. They would be nuts to trade a goalie on his ELC that looks like he could be a legit starter. There's a reason that Bishop and MAF are more likely to be traded than Vasilevskiy and Murray, respectively. Hellebuyck has a similar pedigree and development trajectory as those two young goalies. The Jets have a year or maybe two before making a decision. At the very least, the Jets will wait until after this season and perhaps look at nabbing a goalie before the Expansion Draft if they are unhappy with Hellebuyck's development.

That's one way to look at it.

The alternative is to add a goalie like Schneider which will make the team more competitive currently than a trio of Hutchinson, Pavelec, and Hellebuyck. Then you bring your prospects up on a team that is consistently winning. Winnipeg already has the pieces in the right places to be successful. The only hole I really see is in goaltending. If Ehlers/Laine can provide more secondary scoring on top of Little/Perreault behind Schiefele/Wheeler, the team is set.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Id rather roll the dice with Helley than pay the required package for Schnieder

Fork

Mar 7, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
value wise, an elite goalie in his prime is worth more than a prospect and a draft pick, but neither team will probably do this trade

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Jets fans are painfully aware that they need goaltending to compete. They are also quite encouraged by the development of Hellebuyck and Comrie. There are a few examples in the NHL now of young goalies with similar trajectories as Hellebuyck coming in and taking over the #1 role. The Jets are most likely to try that route first.

You guys are just too young of a team haha. Not used to the crushing disappointed that the vast majority of goalie prospects brings.

Or maybe I'm cynical from being a Flames fan.

Those prospects would be gone so fast I wouldn't have time to blink haha. You're whole team is based on developing a #1 goalie, terrifying thought for me.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
1st thing, Cory is a very good goalie. I won't keep stating that fact.

That being said I wouldn't give Connor straight up for him, never mind ++. I wouldn't give anything of value for him. Easy pass from Jets

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Jets would struggle with the salary cap with Schneider for a couple of players on ELC.

Initially forgot about Trouba's incoming extension. It seems like the main thing that complicates the matter is Pavelec's deal. Seems like if Winnipeg were getting Schneider, they'd have to be sending Pavelec somewhere else. Devils realistically could take both Pavelec/Hellebuyck but then the deal would likely get too big to ever make enough sense. Definitely way too big for a couple weeks before training camp, that's more of an off-season move.

Depending on Trouba's AAV, they could potentially fit Schneider in on top of Pavelec for one year, but that seems to be cutting it close to me.

You could be right. But i'd like to think we can get a goalie for less than Schneider would cost that would make more sense.

I agree. There really is no right answer.

But Schneider on the team the way it is now is definitely an interesting idea. From a Devils perspective, Winnipeg may be one of the view teams that has what it takes to get Schneider AND would be willing to pay a little bit extra to do so. Similar to how the Devils were able to get Hall out of Edmonton with a player the Oilers really needed in Larsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad