Jack Connolly
Andy Miele
Blake Geoffrion
Matt Gilroy
Kevin Porter
Ryan Duncan
Matt Carle

only
Jack Eichel and Johnny Gaudreau have won the hobey bakey and made a real impression--Versey will we find out shortly

Whileee

May 29, 2010
right now there is a good run of nhlers who won the baker

but how where the careers of

Drew LeBlanc
Jack Connolly
Andy Miele
Blake Geoffrion
Matt Gilroy
Kevin Porter
Ryan Duncan
Matt Carle

only
Jack Eichel and Johnny Gaudreau have won the hobey bakey and made a real impression--Versey will we find out shortly

Ummmm.... Connor was a freshman. That's what's remarkable about his season.

The following were pretty remarkable freshmen who were nominated for the Hobey.

Brian Leetch
Paul Kariya
Jack Eichel

If I recall correctly.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
right now there is a good run of nhlers who won the baker

but how where the careers of

Drew LeBlanc
Jack Connolly
Andy Miele
Blake Geoffrion
Matt Gilroy
Kevin Porter
Ryan Duncan
Matt Carle

only

That's why I specified freshman. Only four freshmen in NCAA history have ever become Hobey Baker finalists. Now, I'm willing to bet that Kyle Connor ends up having the worst career of those four. But that's pretty elite company.

As to the players you mentioned.

Leblanc was 22 when he won.
Connolly was 21.
Miele was 23.
Geoffrion was 22.
Gilroy was 24.
Porter was 22.
Duncan was 21.
Carle was 21.

Many of those players are also undersized. Few players with their size move on to the NHL and are successful. Connor doesn't have that working against him.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pretty much. Dallas and Nashville (stick a fork in Rinne if he fails to cross the 91% barrier for the fourth time in five years) are teams that would benefit more from Schneider. Add in St Louis if Allen once again implodes during the playoffs.

But as a Devils fan, I don't want him traded. I think he has at least 5 years left of elite play, if he doesn't start having chronic injuries like Rinne, Bobrovsky or Lehtonen. Elite goaltenders play at a high level into their mid 30's. We're already seeing it in modern day with Luongo, who has a ton of miles. Lundqvist is turning 35 this year and doesn't look to be slowing down yet. I think Schneider can sustain it. Bishop also is the same age and has very low miles, but Schneider is more like Braden Holtby (1989) in terms of NHL mileage. Someone 3 years or so younger.

Devils could make the playoffs as early as next year.

Once you get in anything can happen. Makes no sense for the Devils to deal Schneider.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Devils could make the playoffs as early as next year.

Once you get in anything can happen. Makes no sense for the Devils to deal Schneider.

Agreed.

I wanna keep him more than anything. Besides Hall, who has yet to play a game for the Devils yet, Schneider is by far the most important and best player on the team.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Kyle Connor? The guy who just became the 4th player in NCAA history to be a Hobey Baker finalist in his freshman season?

Depends on your cutoff range for elite prospects, I suppose?

It is still a crapshoot. Plenty of guys who won a Hobey Baker award didn't become great NHL'ers....Matt Gilroy comes to mind. A few weeks back, prior to Vesey signing with the NYR, he was a coveted "elite prospect". Once he signed with "not their team"......he became no big deal for many guys. The only thing that changed was his availability.

So the reality is, winning a collegiate award does not translate into a guy becoming elite at anything.......his actually performance during his NHL career does that, everything else is an assumption, speculation or projection.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Schneider is amazing but the Jets are just better off seeing what they have in Hellebuyck. Probably the best young goalie outside of Matt Murray. In fact Hellebuyck entered the season ahead of Murray and had himself a pretty good showing in front of a team that was a mess for the majority of his run.

Especially if it costs them Connor as well. If they were that desperate for a goalie I'm sure they could've matched the Flames offer for Elliott.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
It is still a crapshoot. Plenty of guys who won a Hobey Baker award didn't become great NHL'ers....Matt Gilroy comes to mind. A few weeks back, prior to Vesey signing with the NYR, he was a coveted "elite prospect". Once he signed with "not their team"......he became no big deal for many guys. The only thing that changed was his availability.

So the reality is, winning a collegiate award does not translate into a guy becoming elite at anything.......his actually performance during his NHL career does that, everything else is an assumption, speculation or projection.

Again, Matt Gilroy won the Hobey Baker as a 24 year old. Connor was a finalist, and probably should have won, as a 19 year old freshman.

Also, I'm not sure what your last paragraph is in reference to. No one has stated that Connor is an elite NHL player. The question was whether he is an elite prospect.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Would love to have him but it doesn't make sense for either team right now.

If Schnieder can have another season like the last one and Hall steps up right away, NJ makes the playoffs.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I would love to have Schneider...but at thirty years old he doesnt really fit the age of our team, so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to be paying such a steep price for him. If he was a UFA or if he was available on the cheapo, that would be different...but there is no way that I would ever consider trading away one or two of our top prospects and a first for him, let alone the ludicrous suggestion of Patrik Laine.

Especially when we have one of the top goalie prospects in the league in our system right now. It would be prudent to see how that plays out first before we sell the farm for a goalie

goblix

May 11, 2013
More like, why trade a top prospect for an old goalie, when goalies can be had relatively cheaply via free agency each year (or in trade for that matter), and especially for an old goalie that doesn't fit in age-wise with the balance of the young roster the Jets are building?

Hellebuyck Hutchinson Comrie is fine for Winnipeg as the roster sits currently. Plus, they get to keep Kyle Connor versus having him blossom elsewhere.

Still a pass from the Jets.

You're drunk man.. old goalie? please He's 30 and by goalie terms he's got 4-5 years left of prime years at least. He's also easily a top 5 goalie in the league. Think he was like 4th in save % and GAA for goalies who played 30+ games.
And this is on a NJD team... which is pretty lackluster in general

I'd argue that with a young offensive team the two experienced areas you'd want filled is goalie and defence.
Jets have an amazing defence and they have great offensive young talent in Ehlers, Scheifele and now Laine.

If you stack the team with offensive tools with no balanced defensive approach you find yourself in the same boat of Edmonton... Not a good approach...

Anyways this is a dumb proposal because NJD says no because it leaves them with 0 goalies to start the season...

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
https://hockey-graphs.com/2014/03/21/how-well-do-goalies-age-a-look-at-a-goalie-aging-curve/

Here is my problem with our acquiring Schneider. It's going to cost a lot, cause he's a tremendous goalie. And he's not young. It's a matter of time before he starts to decline, and rapidly, and we don't know when this will happen. It could take 5 years, in which case it'd be great. It could take 1 year, in which case we'd be in trouble, and it wouldn't fit our time frame at all.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Wow at so many Jets fan call Schnieder old.

The Jets window to compete would start this season with him in their net I think.

New Jersey would never trade him anyway, but I am surprised by the lack of interest from Jets fans.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
That's why I specified freshman. Only four freshmen in NCAA history have ever become Hobey Baker finalists. Now, I'm willing to bet that Kyle Connor ends up having the worst career of those four. But that's pretty elite company.

As to the players you mentioned.

Leblanc was 22 when he won.
Connolly was 21.
Miele was 23.
Geoffrion was 22.
Gilroy was 24.
Porter was 22.
Duncan was 21.
Carle was 21.

Many of those players are also undersized. Few players with their size move on to the NHL and are successful. Connor doesn't have that working against him.

I was going to say, I think Miele could've had a decent career as a middle six forward if he was a little bigger.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Wow at so many Jets fan call Schnieder old.

The Jets window to compete would start this season with him in their net I think.

New Jersey would never trade him anyway, but I am surprised by the lack of interest from Jets fans.

It's all about lack of need, timing and resource management. We're not a organization who trades away futures on a slim hope of a long shot paying off to appease the fan base. This teams fans and management believe in the long term, big picture planning that will reward us with long term success not some flash in the pan team.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
You're drunk man.. old goalie? please He's 30 and by goalie terms he's got 4-5 years left of prime years at least. He's also easily a top 5 goalie in the league. Think he was like 4th in save % and GAA for goalies who played 30+ games.
And this is on a NJD team... which is pretty lackluster in general

Nope, just someone that understands that the Jets are in the initial stages of a full-blown youth movement (and have no resultant need to trade for an older goalie that doesn't fit in with their young roster), understands that Winnipeg arguably has the best goalie prospect pipeline in the league, and have an understanding that goalies are a dime a dozen in free agency and that the Jets don't need to give up a piece of their future in order to make a quick fix. As such, I also possess an ability to offer a critical analysis of the situation and don't need to rely upon referring to another poster as drunk simply because their opinion differs from my own. Hope that helps.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
goalies ARE a dime a dozen in free agency, sure

goalies as good as Cory Schneider are not

I wish people would stop saying that

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
goalies ARE a dime a dozen in free agency, sure

Goalies can also be had cheaply in trade.

You may think Schneider is worth Kyle Connor +; doubt the GM of a team adherent to drafting and developing its future and also in the midst of transitioning its roster to youth would agree. No way would Winnipeg give up a kid that might go on to score 25 or 30 a year for the next decade in exchange for a few years of a goalie that doesn't fit in with the roster build. The Jets are just fine this season running Hellebuyck, Hutch, Pavelec. If they need to make a change later on, so be it. This isn't the year they need to make a quick fix in goal via trade when they currently have three fighting for the crease as it is.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

You may think Schneider is worth Kyle Connor +; doubt the GM of a team adherent to drafting and developing its future and also in the midst of transitioning its roster to youth would agree. No way would Winnipeg give up a kid that might go on to score 25 or 30 a year for the next decade in exchange for a few years of a goalie that doesn't fit in with the roster build. The Jets are just fine this season running Hellebuyck, Hutch, Pavelec. If they need to make a change later on, so be it. This isn't the year they need to make a quick fix in goal via trade when they currently have three fighting for the crease as it is.

Completely agree

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

and thats fine

but know that the Devils would never trade Schneider for Connor straight up anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad