Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Development with regards to the Olympic. Few my buddies who work with team Canada and are part of the support staff for the Japanese games have been told to hold off making travel arrangements till further notice

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Development with regards to the Olympic. Few my buddies who work with team Canada and are part of the support staff for the Japanese games have been told to hold off making travel arrangements till further notice

Yeah, Japan's one of the most infected areas around the world.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Again, did you even watch the video? This is a vaccine that has been in the works for years, not weeks or months. They've tested this on humans with Zika, Ebola, SARs, etc... and stated that it works with added dosage for all of them. The Dr said that SARS is this disease's little brother and because they're so similar and that the drug worked on it and other diseases, they're hoping this works on Convid 19. That's why they're going to China to do trials

Instead of just posting pessmistic comments for pessimistic's sake, please actually watch the video and then comment. In the end, it doesn't matter what you or I think or say, it only matters if this works. I think weeks might be too early, but months might be plausible. Then again, like I said, it doesn't matter what you or I think or say cause we're not the experts.

Edit - whether or not this is a "shortcut" like you say is debatable because of what I stated above. Also, the Americans came up with a "cure" that also requires months due to a new method that would basically make the person to to create antibodies themselves against this virus Is this a shortcut to you as well? It's more of a breakthrough if it works Not everything has to be done the traditional way where it takes years or over a year to come up with a vaccine.

You're referring to quercetin as an antiviral agent, this is not related to vaccine development. Theirs would be a drug that is used as a treatment and would not give immunity against anything.

Krauser

Oct 3, 2017
Well, there's a little light at the end of the tunnel.

Let's hope they succeed and a vaccine can be developed in months, not next year or years. This means, we must delay this thing. Delay will buy us, them, and all other groups trying to develop a working vaccine some time.

Interesting, thanks.

To be clear, he’s not talking about a vaccine but an antiviral medication, more like an antibiotic against viruses. There are only a handful of antiviral medications in widespread use right now, and most of them have limited benefit and/or specific targets (like acyclovir or valcyclovir for herpesviruses). The compound he’s describing seems to be effective on limiting the harm from a number of different viruses, and it’s plausible that it might be effective against Covid-19 as well.

Chrétien is a legitimate and well respected doctor. The research he’s describing has been published in peer reviewed journals. Here’s the article on their experiment with Zika, in mice: https://www.virosin.org/article/doi/10.1007/s12250-017-4057-9

Antiviral vaccination is a challenging project. Lots of antiviral vaccinations are of limited benefit (including seasonal flu, and shingles), and many cause side effects (flulike illnesses) or in rare cases, significant harm (Guillain Barre syndrome). I don’t think they’ll be injecting the entire world with viral RNA fragments for a coronavirus vaccine without doing clinical trials first.

But if the antiviral compound works, it may help considerably in reducing harm from exposure, which in turn could limit hospitalizations, disease in health care workers, and death. Even then, the challenge would be to produce and distribute enough of the medication to make a noticeable difference.

Reactions: someguy44

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Coronavirus spurs U.S. to screen travelers, ramp up mask production after first death
Coronavirus spurs U.S. to screen travelers, ramp up mask production after first death

AP story, Sunday FUD.

Plan on screening passengers preboarding and on arrival. Government pushing USA mask manufacturers to increase production, but say general population doesn't need them, save them for health workers.

Bottom line trying to not panic folks.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You are correct. It is. COVID 19 is a stupid name and everytime I hear/see the word, I think of "convict" because I used to work in a prison. I mistyped covid and turned it into convid as I was thinking of this virus as a convict. My bad.

I just call it "Wuhan pneumonia".

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
You are correct. It is. COVID 19 is a stupid name and everytime I hear/see the word, I think of "convict" because I used to work in a prison. I mistyped covid and turned it into convid as I was thinking of this virus as a convict. My bad.

COVID 19 is the shortening of COronaVIrus Disease 2019 if that can help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: belair and kilowatt

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
what are the chances NBA and NHL games will be cancelled? Do you think this could happen before the end of the season (1st week of April)?

If so will they go by point % for division and playoff seeding or cancel it entirely

Situation is very dynamic but my guess is chances of regular season cancellations or being played in front of empty arenas are still very low. For now NA pro leagues are in monitoring mode:

U.S. leagues keeping tabs on coronavirus spread

For NHL if say playoffs games were to be affected we could have an interesting shortfall of revenues. There is a buffer in escrow for unexpected factors before players would be required to payback (or defer debt?) when players share exceeds 50%. NHL is very gate driven thus playing in front of empty arenas would have a significant impact.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Situation is very dynamic but my guess is chances of regular season cancellations or being played in front of empty arenas are still very low. For now NA pro leagues are in monitoring mode:

U.S. leagues keeping tabs on coronavirus spread

For NHL if say playoffs games were to be affected we could have an interesting shortfall of revenues. There is a buffer in escrow for unexpected factors before players would be required to payback (or defer debt?) when players share exceeds 50%. NHL is very gate driven thus playing in front of empty arenas would have a significant impact.

It is fair for me to give it a 0% chance that they scrap this season even if the spread gets worse?

Reasoning is that there's only 10% of regular season games remaining. If this was before the 1/2 way mark of the season my % would change drastically.

I think far more likely they seed playoff and draft by point %. The same goes for NBA

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Do you think the Conoronavirus will cause a recession? Iv noticed my investment account has been plummeting and I’m a little concerned.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Do you think the Conoronavirus will cause a recession? Iv noticed my investment account has been plummeting and I’m a little concerned.

Of course it could. If people are afraid, they are going to be less likely to go out and engage in normal shopping habits(eating out - movies - in general going to a store). If that happens, could cause some companies to lose on their expected revenues, in turn would have to cut costs. Salaries and wages are the easiest to cut, so they are going to look at what employees might be able to be let go, maybe some areas are more impacted then others, store closures, etc.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's possible as we had weak global growth before this, depends on long it runs for and how much industry is impacted. I think the US will fine most likely unless it gets really bad for the Euro and Asian econs.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

It could but as markets go they will rebound. Spent the past week (and expect the trend to continue tomorrow) talking to people that are making poor financial decisions. Locking in their losses now and since history repeats itself many will forget about it when the panic ends will have a rude awakening in a few years.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

There should be an impact on the Chinese economy as well as trade, affecting stock exchanges, and exports and imports, respectively.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Too early to say but will be interesting to keep an eye on how things evolve. Some disruptions in supply chain are already happening. Expecting monetary policy of central bank to include a drop in interest rate. In an election year, what measures if any will be taken as part of government fiscal policy?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

IIHF watching until mid March to determine if tournaments would need to be cancelled.

World Championships in Switzerland have insurance for force majeure. Will not play ghost games with no fans.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012

IIHF watching until mid March to determine if tournaments would need to be cancelled.

World Championships in Switzerland have insurance for force majeure. Will not play ghost games with no fans.

acts of god. I love it. God is good.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Too early to say but will be interesting to keep an eye on how things evolve. Some disruptions in supply chain are already happening. Expecting monetary policy of central bank to include a drop in interest rate. In an election year, what measures if any will be taken as part of government fiscal policy?
China isn’t producing anything.

if there is no raw material the factories are not producing.

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
It could but as markets go they will rebound. Spent the past week (and expect the trend to continue tomorrow) talking to people that are making poor financial decisions. Locking in their losses now and since history repeats itself many will forget about it when the panic ends will have a rude awakening in a few years.
It’s going to be a tremendous buying opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad