Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
China is shutting down all public gatherings. If this thing hits North America, pro sports will be one of the first things to go.

I have no idea how the NHL would handle a city (or the entire league) being shut down. Is there anything buried in the CBA about that?

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
China is shutting down all public gatherings. If this thing hits North America, pro sports will be one of the first things to go.

I have no idea how the NHL would handle a city (or the entire league) being shut down. Is there anything buried in the CBA about that?
Paragraph 17 of the SPC
If because of any condition arising from a state of war or other cause beyond the control of the League or of the Club, it shall be deemed advisable by the League or the Club to suspend or cease or reduce operations, then:
(a) in the event of suspension of operations, the Player shall be entitled only to the proportion of Paragraph 1 Salary due at the date of suspension,
(b) in the event of cessation of operations, the Paragraph 1 Salary shall be automatically canceled on the date of cessation, and
(c) in the event of reduction of operations, the Paragraph 1 Salary shall be replaced by that mutually agreed upon between the Club and the Player, or, in the absence of mutual agreement, by that determined by neutral arbitration.

PhillyWings

May 10, 2010
PA

Its already here. Three cases confirmed in California, Illinois, and Washingtonian State.

Last edited:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
It's scary. I just lucked on to the last N95 face masks in town. Sold out everywhere, even Amazon is essentially sold out. I would gladly bail on tickets to avoid crowds if it gets worse.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
5 million left Wuhan before lockdown, mayor reveals, as 1,000 new cases expected

Cat out of the bag folks. This is going to be MUCH worse than sars.

Currently this virus seems to only have 4% fatalities (similar to SARS), while MERS had 25%.

One problem is that is seems to have like a 10 day incubation period. IIRC.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200124/coronavirus-2020-outbreak-latest-updates
WebMD summary

Mapping the Outbreak of China’s Coronavirus
Bloomberg summary (2k+ diagnosed; 56 deaths)

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Currently this virus seems to only have 4% fatalities (similar to SARS), while MERS had 25%.

One problem is that is seems to have like a 10 day incubation period. IIRC.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200124/coronavirus-2020-outbreak-latest-updates
WebMD summary

Mapping the Outbreak of China’s Coronavirus
Bloomberg summary (2k+ diagnosed; 56 deaths)

I mean I've read it could be as high as 4 times as infectious as SARS. Not quite H1N1 levels, but you are talking about millions of people potentially catching it.

Also, this was noted a couple days ago:

New numbers are closer to what was previously reported. Again, given the drastic measures the Chinese have taken, I'd take a gander 2000 is a severe understatement in the # of cases.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
In two years almost day to day China will host Winter Olympics. I imagine the event would be cancelled.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020

They shutdown the league in the early 1900s thanks to the Spanish Flu.

Reactions: shello

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
Some people are really overreacting. Just to put it into perspective: The flu caused an estimated 34000 deaths last year and 61000 deaths the year before in the US. That's about 100 every day in the US alone. Coronavirus killed under 100 people worldwide so far.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
And WHO, CDC and other agencies worldwide are closely monitoring the situation. The former has not named it a worldwide health threat/situation. Yet. Still could happen.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The government in Canada and the WHO do not seem to be too worried.

Probably because they believed the bullshit lip service that the Chinese government was giving them. There are nurses (in China) claiming that China is lying about the number infected and it could easily be 90,000 already. Given that the Chinese government has been aggressively censoring social media related to the Coronavirus, it gives some credibility to these claims.

Additionally, from my understanding and based on what I read from BBC, what makes this particular virus so much more problematic is that unlike SARS it spreads before any symptoms show. With an incubation period that can last as long as 14 days... that is downright scary.

I think The WHO and Canadian government are being belligerently ignorant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad