Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I'll have to disagree with you there. The lack of testing kits, yeah that's a resource issue. I would close the border personally to countries with high incidences of the virus, like China, South Korea, Japan etc. I guess the government here doesn't want to appear "racist", but I don't see how that's the case when it's a practical matter. This is coming from someone born in China.

Even if closing the border is excessive, I have an issue with other protocols. People flying in from high-risk areas are not being screened enough. They literally just ask you if you have visited Wuhan recently and/or if you have come into contact with anyone who has been infected with the virus. My cousin returned from China 3 weeks ago (she has a Chinese passport) and that's all they asked her. If you say "no" and "no", they just let you pass through, even if you have a fever and respiratory symptoms,

For the new cases in Ontario, the patients have been sent home to be in self-isolation for two weeks. This is problematic in a few regards. First, this is entrusting that person to follow that protocol. Second, two weeks is not long enough. There have been cases where someone in quarantine for two weeks have infected others. (EDIT: look at the article above my post actually lol; my father is a physician and he was saying from the beginning that 2 weeks was not enough).

I'm a 3rd-year medical student rotating in the hospital, and a lot of the staff at my hospital is not happy how the government is dealing with this situation. The Canadian Nurses' Union in particular: Canadian nurses’ unions warn national standards for coronavirus protection too low - Victoria News

I have other family in the healthcare industry and if this thing breaks out, it's often healthcare workers who get hit particularly hard.
Regardless what your Dad thinks Canada has done everything any other country has done and actually more than most.

The US banned all foreign nationals from China travelling to the US. Canada did not. Though American citizens and their immediate families were allowed to travel back to the states and to only 7 airports. They were told to self isolate.

The majority of those in self-isolation have improved. You really think all those that test positive should be hospitalized?

I'm certainly not going to sugar coat the situation. It probably will get to a point where medical resources in NA are tested like never before. Resources, like hospitalization should only be used for those most in need, not the majority who will recover from the illness.

Last edited:

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
those of you licking your lips and watching the mkt bottom out, be wary
there's a big feeling out there that the bubble was about to burst anyways and it's just being amplified here with the panic selling...although if you do have any holdings that are very china-dependent/centric, yikes.
That's because those guys never learn from past mistakes. They just get back on that train and ride the high while it lasts.

Sonic Disturbance

Grandmaster User
Jan 1, 2009
Regardless what your Dad thinks Canada has done everything any other country has done and actually more than most.

The US banned all foreign nationals from China travelling to the US. Canada did not. Though American citizens and their immediate families were allowed to travel back to the states and to only 7 airports. They were told to self isolate.

The majority of those in self-isolation have improved. You really think all those that test positive should be hospitalized?

I'm certainly not going to sugar coat the situation. It probably will get to a point where medical resources in NA are tested like never before. Resources, like hospitalization should only be used for those most in need, not the majority who will recover from the illness.

You keep saying Canada has done a lot, but you're providing no specifics to what they're doing great and/or sources (AKA what is Canada doing good actually? Especially compared to other countries?) The healthcare workers like the Nurses Union (AKA the experts on this topic) clearly disagree with how things are handled. If asymptomatic but positive, I don't think they should necessarily take up hospital beds, but that they should be put into quarantine under surveillance somewhere. All it takes is one idiot in "self-quarantine" to mess things up. I don't want Canada to be like Italy. If the government felt the need to quarantine the Canadians they rescued from Wuhan in a military base in Trenton under surveillance when none of them tested positive for the virus, why are they letting people who are ACTUALLY positive for the virus going home in "self-isolation"?

Last edited:

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver

You're speaking out of your ass, straight up. Other countries have done hell of a lot more than Canada. We didn't even ban any flights. The airlines themselves did it to save money. It's ridiculous that all flights weren't cancelled. Countries have banned Chinese nationals, schools have been closed, mandatory quarantines have been initiated in a number of major cities. (Did you know Mongolia closed the borders almost a month ago now? They were actually smart)

I work in the field. The health authorities and government here haven't done shit all. They keep saying the risk is "low" and have done nothing except downplay it at every turn. I wish Canada banned all Chinese nationals for a little bit because of the chance of spread, but nope, borders remain open so super spreaders can make their way over on a tin can strapped with engines.

Awful take. Canada has done literally nothing except tell people to self quarantine. That's it.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForConnSmythe
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
You're speaking out of your ass, straight up. Other countries have done hell of a lot more than Canada. We didn't even ban any flights. The airlines themselves did it to save money. It's ridiculous that all flights weren't cancelled. Countries have banned Chinese nationals, schools have been closed, mandatory quarantines have been initiated in a number of major cities. (Did you know Mongolia closed the borders almost a month ago now? They were actually smart)

I work in the field. The health authorities and government here haven't done shit all. They keep saying the risk is "low" and have done nothing except downplay it at every turn. I wish Canada banned all Chinese nationals for a little bit because of the chance of spread, but nope, borders remain open so super spreaders can make their way over on a tin can strapped with engines.

Awful take. Canada has done literally nothing except tell people to self quarantine. That's it.
100% agreed

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Not that I disagree here--I actually have a similarly pessimistic outlook--but why aren't we seeing larger instances of spread in Canada if that's the case? Have we just been fortunate at this point? Or have we been mostly successful in terms of screening for potential cases?

Hyzer

Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Not that I disagree here--I actually have a similarly pessimistic outlook--but why aren't we seeing larger instances of spread in Canada if that's the case? Have we just been fortunate at this point? Or have we been mostly successful in terms of screening for potential cases?

It's a numbers game. We just haven't been hit as hard just yet, but it will be coming none the less. Half the problem is that we aren't testing too many people. I find it very hard to believe that we don't have many more number of cases in Canada right now to be quite honest with you. It could all boil down to us being lucky enough to not get a super spreader that infects people on a large scale very quickly.

The virulence and how easily it spreads is a deadly combination. Even if you are aware of the situation and don't feel too scared right now, you do have to be alarmed that many countries (South Korea, China, Italy) have instituted some quarantine or lock down of entire cities and/or provinces, which is unprecedented in modern times.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
what are the chances NBA and NHL games will be cancelled? Do you think this could happen before the end of the season (1st week of April)?

If so will they go by point % for division and playoff seeding or cancel it entirely

Hyzer

Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
what are the chances NBA and NHL games will be cancelled? Do you think this could happen before the end of the season (1st week of April)?

If so will they go by point % for division and playoff seeding or cancel it entirely

Those are big corporations there bud, I'm sure they would love to continue to keep printing their money...

However I believe they have a good chance of being cancelled for attendance wise and play it out without any attendance and only have it on TV/internet. That is what the Japanese soccer league is doing right now.

Many large corporations events are being cancelled pretty regularly now so I'd assume the NHL will clue in eventually

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Those are big corporations there bud, I'm sure they would love to continue to keep printing their money...

However I believe they have a good chance of being cancelled for attendance wise and play it out without any attendance and only have it on TV/internet. That is what the Japanese soccer league is doing right now.

Many large corporations events are being cancelled pretty regularly now so I'd assume the NHL will clue in eventually

Is there any historical cases to compare this with?

I'm very curious as to how the NHL and the NBA will deal with this. I'm not so sure they will handle it the same way as those European and Asian leagues (continue playing with no attendance).

Hyzer

Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
Is there any historical cases to compare this with?

I'm very curious as to how the NHL and the NBA will deal with this. I'm not so sure they will handle it the same way as those European and Asian leagues (continue playing with no attendance).

So far, South Korea, Japan, and Chinese domestic leagues are all currently not even playing according the NYT's and even the Switzerland has banned events on more than 1,000 people . The Chinese KHL team Beijing Kunlun Red Stars is playing in Russia as their home base for the foreseeable future due to the virus.

I am going predict the Olympics will be cancelled as well if the Outbreak continues, or at least moved to a different date. This thing is really interesting because I don't know something like this has ever come around in recent history (last 50 years or so)

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
So far, South Korea, Japan, and Chinese domestic leagues are all currently not even playing according the NYT's and even the Switzerland has banned events on more than 1,000 people . The Chinese KHL team Beijing Kunlun Red Stars is playing in Russia as their home base for the foreseeable future due to the virus.

I am going predict the Olympics will be cancelled as well if the Outbreak continues, or at least moved to a different date. This thing is really interesting because I don't know something like this has ever come around in recent history (last 50 years or so)

Yeah this is why I am curious..

I think the right move and the move that makes the most sense would be to play the remaining games in a close venue.. But to play devil's advocate what possible reason will there be for both the NBA and the NHL to cancel the entire 19-20 season; including playoffs? They would be making this decision when there's only ~10 regular season games left to be played. It would render the previous 72 games meaningless

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

1980 Olympics or 1984, I don't recall correctly.

Dec 15, 2002
I could easily be in the minority here, but I feel like mass hysteria has taken hold and this whole thing is getting overblown.

Yes, the mortality rate so far appears to be a little over 2%. It also appears so far to hit the elderly and critically ill the hardest; it also appears that most cases (over 80%) are mild. SARS had a fatality rate 4x higher. So, for the vast majority of people the chances of dying are really small; we're talking about certain classes that are vulnerable - which, they'd be vulnerable to most other illnesses as well.

But let's talk about the chances of dying. While COV-19 appears to be more easily transmitted than SARS, we're still talking about perhaps 100,000 worldwide cases right now. Out of ~7 billion people total. Even if the number of worldwide cases increases by a factor of 100, we're talking about one case per 700 people. Let's say it doesn't even go to half the world; that's now 1-in-350. So, it's 1/350 to get it and then 1/50 to die (and that 1/50 is less for non-vulnerable groups). That's means a 1-in-17,500 chance to get COV-19 and die from it. Again, you've got a 349-in-350 chance to not get it at all.

Find all your favorite sources on your chances of dying in various methods over a given year, on a given day, etc. You're
far more likely to die of lots of other stuff than this. If we were talking Ebola (25-50% or higher mortality rate) and easily transmitted, fine - I'd agree with freaking out. I just don't see it here, folks. It's yet another example IMO of humans doing a really poor job of judging the probability of events and overreacting to it.

Hyzer

Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
I could easily be in the minority here, but I feel like mass hysteria has taken hold and this whole thing is getting overblown.

Yes, the mortality rate so far appears to be a little over 2%. It also appears so far to hit the elderly and critically ill the hardest; it also appears that most cases (over 80%) are mild. SARS had a fatality rate 4x higher. So, for the vast majority of people the chances of dying are really small; we're talking about certain classes that are vulnerable - which, they'd be vulnerable to most other illnesses as well.

But let's talk about the chances of dying. While COV-19 appears to be more easily transmitted than SARS, we're still talking about perhaps 100,000 worldwide cases right now. Out of ~7 billion people total. Even if the number of worldwide cases increases by a factor of 100, we're talking about one case per 700 people. Let's say it doesn't even go to half the world; that's now 1-in-350. So, it's 1/350 to get it and then 1/50 to die (and that 1/50 is less for non-vulnerable groups). That's means a 1-in-17,500 chance to get COV-19 and die from it. Again, you've got a 349-in-350 chance to not get it at all.

Find all your favorite sources on your chances of dying in various methods over a given year, on a given day, etc. You're
far more likely to die of lots of other stuff than this. If we were talking Ebola (25-50% or higher mortality rate) and easily transmitted, fine - I'd agree with freaking out. I just don't see it here, folks. It's yet another example IMO of humans doing a really poor job of judging the probability of events and overreacting to it.

The virus isn't that big of a deal. Yeah, it might kill a few million, but it's not the virus that will "kill" us. Its the economic contagion that will follow it.

China has been quarantined and they haven't been working for almost 2 months now. This means no more new shipments of stuff into your respective countries. It takes about 6 weeks for shipments to arrive, so at the moment, we are just receiving our last shipments and there will be no more after this.

There is a reason why the DOW dropped the most points ever other than right before the Great Depression. The markets are finally clueing in that this is pretty big and shops have closed up. Oil is at a low point as well. This is just the beginning. China has injected just under a trillion dollars into its economy to encourage spending and to support their people in quarantine. Hong Kong is giving its citizens HK$10,000 and electronic vouchers to encourage spending. The USA has been utilizing Qualitative Easing and REPO'ing daily over the last 2 months.

Even if you don't buy in to the hysteria, you have to be concerned at the very least about the actions other countries are doing. You can say that its "mass hysteria" now when it barely has even hit us here in NA. Ignore what they are saying, look at what they're doing.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
The virus isn't that big of a deal. Yeah, it might kill a few million, but it's not the virus that will "kill" us. Its the economic contagion that will follow it.

China has been quarantined and they haven't been working for almost 2 months now. This means no more new shipments of stuff into your respective countries. It takes about 6 weeks for shipments to arrive, so at the moment, we are just receiving our last shipments and there will be no more after this.

There is a reason why the DOW dropped the most points ever other than right before the Great Depression. The markets are finally clueing in that this is pretty big and shops have closed up. Oil is at a low point as well. This is just the beginning. China has injected just under a trillion dollars into its economy to encourage spending and to support their people in quarantine. Hong Kong is giving its citizens HK$10,000 and electronic vouchers to encourage spending. The USA has been utilizing Qualitative Easing and REPO'ing daily over the last 2 months.

Even if you don't buy in to the hysteria, you have to be concerned at the very least about the actions other countries are doing. You can say that its "mass hysteria" now when it barely has even hit us here in NA. Ignore what they are saying, look at what they're doing.

I agree 100%

How do you think this will affect US elections and where should individuals park their money into?

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad