Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
That would make cap hell for many teams if revenue falls.

The more it happens, the more common becomes and thus less news worthy. As the saying goes "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic."

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
did you notice the 46,000 people that died of the flu?

Did you noticed that the infection rate for this virus is a lot higher than the flu, which we do have vaccines for? Did you noticed that this virus puts roughly 10% to 20% of the infected into intensive care? Did you noticed the much higher death rate for this than the flu? If China didn't practically locked down the entire country and had so many flights to and from China being cancelled, this thing would've completely gotten out of hand by now. Just take a good look at Iran. When was the last time you've see so many head of states from 1 country getting sick at the same time? If this virus wasn't so contagious and sneaky, then we would treat it like Ebola, MERS, SARS, etc.

There is a reason why so many health experts are concerned. Wuhan is a good example of hospitals getting completely bombarded within the first couple of months of this virus going rampant. Many people will go untreated. Healthy people should be very concerned about this virus because they are the hidden carriers of this virus.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Did you noticed that the infection rate for this virus is a lot higher than the flu, which we do have vaccines for? Did you noticed that this virus puts roughly 10% to 20% of the infected into intensive care? Did you noticed the much higher death rate for this than the flu? If China didn't practically locked down the entire country and had so many flights to and from China being cancelled, this thing would've completely gotten out of hand by now. Just take a good look at Iran. When was the last time you've see so many head of states from 1 country getting sick at the same time? If this virus wasn't so contagious and sneaky, then we would treat it like Ebola, MERS, SARS, etc.

There is a reason why so many health experts are concerned. Wuhan is a good example of hospitals getting completely bombarded within the first couple of months of this virus going rampant. Many people will go untreated. Healthy people should be very concerned about this virus because they are the hidden carriers of this virus.

You didn't answer the question, did you notice 46,000 that died from the flu in the US this year?

I'm not concerned with the infection rate at this point, even if it kills 100,0000 globally.

Several companies are working on vaccines, I follow this stuff for a living as a trader in Bio-tech stocks.

So far all I see is fear mongering, 3K dead when the flu globally kills way more then 10 times that number.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You didn't answer the question, did you notice 46,000 that died from the flu in the US this year?

I'm not concerned with the infection rate at this point, even if it kills 100,0000 globally.

Several companies are working on vaccines, I follow this stuff for a living as a trader in Bio-tech stocks.

So far all I see is fear mongering, 3K dead when the flu globally kills way more then 10 times that number.

We are all mortal, so the virus doesn't matter at all. I'm going to side with your logic and see what happens.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

Okay so you didn't read his post at all and don't understand how this virus differs from the seasonal flu. Furthermore, just because a vaccine is being worked on doesn't mean you can expect one to market relatively soon. The WHO estimated around 12-18 months for a vaccine to be in circulation, and that's assuming it works. The SARS vaccine wasn't particularly effective iirc

It's more likely that the disease is staved off by the coming of warmer temperatures in summer than a vaccine in the next few months, and even then, it could roar back in October-nov like the 1918 Spanish flu

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Okay so you didn't read his post at all and don't understand how this virus differs from the seasonal flu. Furthermore, just because a vaccine is being worked on doesn't mean you can expect one to market relatively soon. The WHO estimated around 12-18 months for a vaccine to be in circulation, and that's assuming it works. The SARS vaccine wasn't particularly effective iirc

It's more likely that the disease is staved off by the coming of warmer temperatures in summer than a vaccine in the next few months, and even then, it could roar back in October-nov like the 1918 Spanish flu

Do I sense a contradiction?

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon

So far this is nothing like the Spanish Flu. Who knows, maybe the virus will mutate and become more infectious or more deadly but it likely won't even kill 1 million people at its current rate of spread. Let alone 50 million.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Some number from a CDC website:

COVID-19 ( worldwide ): 80,000 cases , 2,700 deaths *note. many more cases are expected due to the high number of people that get infected but show no symptoms and are unreported. Est. current death rate of ~3% is expected to end up being exaggerated.

Seasonal Flu ( In just the U.S ): 35,000,000 cases , 35,000 deaths. Est. death rate ~0.1%

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail

You didn't answer my questions either, except for one, which you stated you're not concerned with. Also, I did answer your questions with questions that addresses them.

I get the flu, on average, about once every 5 to 7 years, but I don't remember infecting anyone with it because people know I'm sick and I know I'm sick so we stay away from each other. With this, I might not even know I'm sick and will likely spread this to the more vulnerable. This is why it's way more concerning than the flu because it's a lot more lethal. I don't worry for myself when or if I get this as it probably won't do anything to me. I worry for the vulnerable whom I might spread the virus too, especially my elderly relatives. This is why this virus is a lot more dangerous than the flu.

As for the 46,000 dead from the flu in the US last year, well, here's a more specific answer why this virus is more concerning (other than what I already mentioned above). If this virus is endemic and no vaccine is created, then this thing will kill a lot more than 46000 in the US in years to come on a per year basis (not likely this year or even next year as it's in its infancy stage). This virus is closely related to SARS and after 16 years, there's still no working vaccine for SARS.

Like healthcare professionals have stated, hospitals around the world are not able to handle the in flooding waves of people coming in for this virus. Every single healthcare professional will easily catch this virus from the infected, if they don't have the proper ppe. When was the last time the flu cause 7000 healthcare workers in a city's hospital to get infected in a matter of weeks because this is what happened in Wuhan? I also read a figure that this year, influenza is way down in the US because people are being more hygenic this year due to this virus. I will try to find that and post it here later

Even after I typed all the above, I doubt you'll be concerned because like a lot of people, you'll be reactive whether than proactive.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I hate to say anything because I do feel for those who get this and whatever. Still I think this is being overblown a bit. It's like other viruses that we have seen come and go over the years. It's perfectly okay to take precautions as needed but seems like this is being overblown quite a bit.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
this is different. the WHO claims "we are in uncharted territory".. I hope this is much to do about nothing!!!!

As for the NHL.. The USA and Canada are first rate when it comes to medical facilities, cleanliness, civil structures that are meant to keep things clean, etc. I don't believe there is much to fear over here.

Life goes on and in another 2 weeks as the weather warms and the sun does its magic by sterilizing everything, all should be well.

My concern is for the third world. it could be devastating.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
this is different. the WHO claims "we are in uncharted territory".. I hope this is much to do about nothing!!!!

As for the NHL.. The USA and Canada are first rate when it comes to medical facilities, cleanliness, civil structures that are meant to keep things clean, etc. I don't believe there is much to fear over here.

Life goes on and in another 2 weeks as the weather warms and the sun does its magic by sterilizing everything, all should be well.

Yeah, that's why they completely bar the Chinese from entering their nations.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma

These are precisely the speeches that frighten me. The American health system is one of the worst in the world, the fact that there are excellent facilities does not mean anything. Frankly my concern is to protect older people, but still, nobody talks about this. Only very sad statistical calculations are made.

Reactions: Jussi

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
These are precisely the speeches that frighten me. The American health system is one of the worst in the world, the fact that there are excellent facilities does not mean anything. Frankly my concern is to protect older people, but still, nobody talks about this. Only very sad statistical calculations are made.

They have more funding towards pharmaceuticals than medical care, and pharmaceuticals can't cure a virus effectively most of the time.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
You didn't answer my questions either, except for one, which you stated you're not concerned with. Also, I did answer your questions with questions that addresses them.

I get the flu, on average, about once every 5 to 7 years, but I don't remember infecting anyone with it because people know I'm sick and I know I'm sick so we stay away from each other. With this, I might not even know I'm sick and will likely spread this to the more vulnerable. This is why it's way more concerning than the flu because it's a lot more lethal. I don't worry for myself when or if I get this as it probably won't do anything to me. I worry for the vulnerable whom I might spread the virus too, especially my elderly relatives. This is why this virus is a lot more dangerous than the flu.

As for the 46,000 dead from the flu in the US last year, well, here's a more specific answer why this virus is more concerning (other than what I already mentioned above). If this virus is and no vaccine is created, then this thing will kill a lot more than 46000 in the US in years to come on a per year basis (not likely this year or even next year as it's in its infancy stage). This virus is closely related to SARS and after 16 years, there's still no working vaccine for SARS.

Like healthcare professionals have stated, hospitals around the world are not able to handle the in flooding waves of people coming in for this virus. Every single healthcare professional will easily catch this virus from the infected, if they don't have the proper ppe. When was the last time the flu cause 7000 healthcare workers in a city's hospital to get infected in a matter of weeks because this is what happened in Wuhan? I also read a figure that this year, influenza is way down in the US because people are being more hygenic this year due to this virus. I will try to find that and post it here later

Even after I typed all the above, I doubt you'll be concerned because like a lot of people, you'll be reactive whether than proactive.

was it too hard to just say you didn't notice 46,000 died from the flu, I mean how could anyone know that unless they work in the medical field. I had to look it up as I'm sure most would and that number could have been 100,000K and it wouldn't have impacted me at all as I am a bit of a germaphobe so I wash my hands many times a day.

Right now it's just hype and ifs or maybes. Look at your post, IF it is endemic, IF no vaccine etc... One of the companies I have stock in, INO will start human trials in a few weeks. Maybe it will work, maybe not, but for now I won't do anything different and I'm not the least bit worried about it. Now if in the next few weeks it starts to get really ugly and there's over 100,000 deaths then I would start getting concerned.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
How the spreading coronavirus is impacting the NHL

Paywall. Custance with updates (many in ap story above). NHL was to conference with NBA, MLB, NFL on Monday re coronavirus.

U18 tournament in Michigan could be cancelled in April which could impact draft observations.

Keeping an eye on things.

On CNBC yesterday, I heard a pharma exec comment they were on track for vaccine for next year. Hopefully it will be generic enough to ward off many coronavirus variants.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
How the spreading coronavirus is impacting the NHL

Paywall. Custance with updates (many in ap story above). NHL was to conference with NBA, MLB, NFL on Monday re coronavirus.

U18 tournament in Michigan could be cancelled in April which could impact draft observations.

Keeping an eye on things.

On CNBC yesterday, I heard a pharma exec comment they were on track for vaccine for next year. Hopefully it will be generic enough to ward off many coronavirus variants.

I heard the clinical trials will start next year, at the very least. Hong Kong has already developed a vaccine.

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
was it too hard to just say you didn't notice 46,000 died from the flu, I mean how could anyone know that unless they work in the medical field. I had t to o look it up as I'm sure most would and that number could have been 100,000K and it wouldn't have impacted me at all as I am a bit of a germaphobe so I wash my hands many times a day.

Right now it's just hype and ifs or maybes. Look at your post, IF it is endemic, IF no vaccine etc... One of the companies I have stock in, INO will start human trials in a few weeks. Maybe it will work, maybe not, but for now I won't do anything different and I'm not the least bit worried about it. Now if in the next few weeks it starts to get really ugly and there's over 100,000 deaths then I would start getting concerned.

Montreal, you seem to have a handle, so let me ask you. On the Ottawa Sun site about 2 weeks ago, a guy went on at length. And in the end, he concluded the following (He based this on a British researchers claims). He said a potential 60-80% infection rate and a 2% mortality rate. Thus in a nightmare scenario, 1.2% of the population could succumb to it. This is in keeping with the 1919 epidemic were ~ 3% of the entire population succumbed.

so between 1.2% and 3%!!!!. The flu is ~ 0.014% mortal in the West and probably twice that in the third world.

in a nightmare scenario, we are looking at a possible mortality rate that is ~85 times higher, to possibly 215 times

No need to panic, we are no where there, but wow...85-215 times higher chance of death.

You have to forgive those that are concerned or even panicking. Even I am doing a double take.

Reactions: Satan

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Montreal, you seem to have a handle, so let me ask you. On the Ottawa Sun site about 2 weeks ago, a guy went on at length. And in the end, he concluded the following (He based this on a British researchers claims). He said a potential 60-80% infection rate and a 2% mortality rate. Thus in a nightmare scenario, 1.2% of the population could succumb to it. This is in keeping with the 1919 epidemic were ~ 3% of the entire population succumbed.

so between 1.2% and 3%!!!!. The flu is ~ 0.014% mortal in the West and probably twice that in the third world.

in a nightmare scenario, we are looking at a possible mortality rate that is ~85 times higher, to possibly 215 times

No need to panic, we are no where there, but wow...85-215 times higher chance of death.

You have to forgive those that are concerned or even panicking. Even I am doing a double take.

Why do people keep comparing the coronavirus to flu? It's ridiculous. The former has a higher mortality rate, duh.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

All I'm seeing is a lack of understanding that the concern isn't necessarily about the potential of death. When the virus, which spreads at an average of 2-3 people for every one who gets it, requires hospitalization for nearly a fifth of the people who contract it, it overwhelms the infrastructure we have.

This isn't the flu--especially if you're an older individual or someone with health complications. It's SARS.

Reactions: Satan

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
All I'm seeing is a lack of understanding that the concern isn't necessarily about the potential of death. When the virus, which spreads at an average of 2-3 people for every one who gets it, requires hospitalization for nearly a fifth of the people who contract it, it exceeds the infrastructure we have.

This isn't the flu--especially if you're an older individual or someone with health complications. It's SARS.

Yes, immune system plays a significant role in the contraction of any virus, really. Good point.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
All I'm seeing is a lack of understanding that the concern isn't necessarily about the potential of death. When the virus, which spreads at an average of 2-3 people for every one who gets it, requires hospitalization for nearly a fifth of the people who contract it, it overwhelms the infrastructure we have.

I'd also add that from a "Business of Hockey" perspective, the issue goes beyond just potential death tolls*. Whether people agree with the response taken thus far, the approach taken by governments of countries hit so far is to take very aggressive measures with respect to containment.

There's still a lot of unknowns at this stage, and the potential disruption to the NHL right now is very justifiably large. Once more aggressive testing occurs, and there's a better handle on what the infection rate is in NA, there will be an impact on the NHL. Even if the NHL doesn't take any drastic measures, attendance is likely to suffer as people assess their own risk tolerance of public events.

*which is the most serious element here, but, bringing the financial issue in to keep it related to the purpose of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad