Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I probably had it. I’ve certainly been exposed since household family members have tested positive that we’re showing minor symptoms.
Oh well hope everybody does well and is ok. Still there are severely compromised people out there that have no choice but to spin the chamber and fire a shot when they need grub or going to appointments that we look after by being respectful. Thats why Canadians are Canadians. We have that in our Dna to care enough

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
There wasnt a very long lockdown in the US and the death count is in no way near 3 million. 180k is an exaggeration based on how the record deaths.
Like every virus before it, it’ll spread until it can no longer find hosts.

Thanks Donald. 180k is actually underreporting the true number.

There was never any doubt that the official tally was underestimating the number of lives lost to the novel coronavirus, but the degree to which the deaths have seemingly been undercounted is staggering. From March 15th to August 1st, there were 211,500 excess deaths in the United States. Not all of those people died after catching the virus, but that number is likely much closer to the true toll of this deadly pandemic.

The official coronavirus death rate is so much lower than reality
PS There are multiple variants of this virus and there are reports of people contracting this virus multiple times. We are not dealing with the common cold.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
Small Medium and large business are taking a hit, but they’ll rebound. My concern are the Kids that are being manipulated and not allowed to live their lives. For example, If a kid has a dream of playing pro sports or being an Olympian adults are destroying that dream for no reason.

I live in an area of the world that’s not scared of this virus and we are letting our kids attempt to fulfill their dreams. I couldn’t live with myself if I refused to let my kid travel to his baseball tourneys.

I only hope parents of hockey players stand up and let their kids play hockey and live their lives.
One year isn't going to end those dreams or destroy them. Let us be realistic here.

If kids want to be an Olympian or pro athlete, go train! Even if the training doesn't include the exact sport you are doing, you can do so many other things to at least keep yourself in shape or work on weaknesses. These are excuses, lazy ones at that. Eventually, the athletes will be able to play again and make those dreams happen, losing a year or so of development won't hurt them that much. And if it does? Shit happens. People need to start learning to accept disappointment and parents need to teach their kids that things happen beyond their control, that it is okay to accept that and move on from it.

Reactions: KapG

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
chance so far of dying of covid-19 in ontario

under 20: 1 in 3 million
20-40: 1 in 300,000

The sky isn't falling.

40-60: 1 in 30,000

Suicide rates are much higher than that.
There's more to it than the fatality rate. You can have many lingering symptoms/issues if you had mild to severe symptoms lasting weeks to months after you are "cleared"

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Oh well hope everybody does well and is ok. Still there are severely compromised people out there that have no choice but to spin the chamber and fire a shot when they need grub or going to appointments that we look after by being respectful. Thats why Canadians are Canadians. We have that in our Dna to care enough
Everyone is fine. Watched him pitch a gem of game last week and he’s getting ready to pitch again next weekend

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
One year isn't going to end those dreams or destroy them. Let us be realistic here.

If kids want to be an Olympian or pro athlete, go train! Even if the training doesn't include the exact sport you are doing, you can do so many other things to at least keep yourself in shape or work on weaknesses. These are excuses, lazy ones at that. Eventually, the athletes will be able to play again and make those dreams happen, losing a year or so of development won't hurt them that much. And if it does? Shit happens. People need to start learning to accept disappointment and parents need to teach their kids that things happen beyond their control, that it is okay to accept that and move on from it.

They can train all they want but colleges want to see these kids play and needlessly losing a year is ridiculous. Fortunately, HS football and baseball and other sports are playing.

As I type this, I have a relative playing in college football game and I couldn’t happier for him and his parents. I thank the conference for allowing them to play.

Not letting the younger kids play House League is cruel, IMO.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
You do understand that those stats are with severe mitigation tactics, if we just let the virus take its course about 3 million die in the US, 300,000 would ide in Canada, this is a serious virus, almost 1,000,000 people have died so far with lockdowns in effect ... to the families who have lost loved ones, the sky did fall.

that's the word

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

There was never any doubt that the official tally was underestimating the number of lives lost to the novel coronavirus, but the degree to which the deaths have seemingly been undercounted is staggering. From March 15th to August 1st, there were 211,500 excess deaths in the United States. Not all of those people died after catching the virus, but that number is likely much closer to the true toll of this deadly pandemic.

PS There are multiple variants of this virus and there are reports of people contracting this virus multiple times. We are not dealing with the common cold.

There’s strong evidence to show that it’s reverting to its natural state.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

It's funny because for every article like this, there are 10 more reporting the exact opposite.

The waters have been muddied. Throw enough sh*t at it and no one can ever get to the truth.

How does anyone have any faith about what they're reading up on this?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's funny because for every article like this, there are 10 more reporting the exact opposite.

The waters have been muddied. Throw enough sh*t at it and no one can ever get to the truth.

Absolutely not true.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
They can train all they want but colleges want to see these kids play and needlessly losing a year is ridiculous. Fortunately, HS football and baseball and other sports are playing.

As I type this, I have a relative playing in college football game and I couldn’t happier for him and his parents. I thank the conference for allowing them to play.

Not letting the younger kids play House League is cruel, IMO.

So the risk of dying or contracting a life long disability, no matter how remote or probable is for the sake of a game, is worth putting a childs life at risk... glad to see your priorities are straight.

Just for the record most people would rank health higher than a silly game.... most would... yep... most...

Reactions: KapG and mclaren55

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
So the risk of dying or contracting a life long disability, no matter how remote or probable is for the sake of a game, is worth putting a childs life at risk... glad to see your priorities are straight.

Just for the record most people would rank health higher than a silly game.... most would... yep... most...

The risk of lifelong injury has always been there. What are you even talking about?

Reactions: Auston 316

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Since those demographics are more likely to die of the seasonal flue or commit suicide because of draconian lockdown measures your argument is pointless fear mongering

By your logic they can never leave the house again, these kids should be in school, playing sports and interacting normally again because that's what the science says should happen

I believe he is referring to the point that Covid can have debilitating life-long after effects.

My friend had toothache but couldn't get it seen to because of lockdown and he ended up with a life altering stroke from a blood clot because of it, or the people who weren't getting cancer follow-ups and screenings like my cousins wife who had a full mastectomy less than 2 years ago, or the quality of life of the people who had hip, knee and shoulder replacement surgeries punted because of the lockdowns

Whoops, we don't care about those debilitating life long effects because COVID
Carry on

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Since those demographics are more likely to die of the seasonal flue or commit suicide because of draconian lockdown measures your argument is pointless fear mongering

By your logic they can never leave the house again, these kids should be in school, playing sports and interacting normally again because that's what the science says should happen

My friend had toothache but couldn't get it seen to because of lockdown and he ended up with a life altering stroke from a blood clot because of it, or the people who weren't getting cancer follow-ups and screenings like my cousins wife who had a full mastectomy less than 2 years ago, or the quality of life of the people who had hip, knee and shoulder replacement surgeries punted because of the lockdowns

Carry on

I was just clarifying a post...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Carry on
This is so true. I find it cruel that kids are not allowed play sports or do their thing in some places.

Reactions: Kiwi

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
I keep reading about those who think the government is making a bigger deal of this then it is, or that it’s some sort of conspiracy theory. What exactly would the benefit for the government to do that? This an economic catastrophe, no way I’m believing that people are making a bigger deal of it then it is - unless I’m missing something and that’s certainly possible but I’d like a logical explanation then. To me this is real, people are dying, it’s a crazy contagious illness and ultimately we don’t fully understand the long term effects of this. I agree we’ll have to learn to live with this, as I doubt it’s going away anytime soon which means we try to move forward with some sort of middle ground. However, we still gotta continue to be smart about how we approach things and the choices we make - eg. The No masks movement seems very illogical

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I keep reading about those who think the government is making a bigger deal of this then it is, or that it’s some sort of conspiracy theory.

really.

now where in the world did you hear something like that

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
You do understand that those stats are with severe mitigation tactics, if we just let the virus take its course about 3 million die in the US, 300,000 would ide in Canada, this is a serious virus, almost 1,000,000 people have died so far with lockdowns in effect ... to the families who have lost loved ones, the sky did fall.

Well. Deaths have plummeted.

Keep your vitamin D high.

There's more to it than the fatality rate. You can have many lingering symptoms/issues if you had mild to severe symptoms lasting weeks to months after you are "cleared"

I'm aware.

Viruses can be hard on people

As of now, more people are dying of suicide than COVID-19.

We flattened the curve. in May. Case prevention is just pie in the sky pretending.

Reactions: Auston 316

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Is 2nd wave on us now? Cases rising big time in GTA and hospitalizations and ICU's going up too. Get ready for another lock down in fall. Opening up our schools for da community spread was likely a very stupid decision. We all know what is going on here. Da kids are not wearing masks properly and bottom line kids will be kids. I hope I am wrong on this but blaming it on da party goers seems like a crock of you know what. Expect GTA to be shut down again. Kids education is important no doubt but not at cost of another shutdown.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is 2nd wave on us now? Cases rising big time in GTA and hospitalizations and ICU's going up too. Get ready for another lock down in fall. Opening up our schools for da community spread was likely a very stupid decision. We all know what is going on here. Da kids are not wearing masks properly and bottom line kids will be kids. I hope I am wrong on this but blaming it on da party goers seems like a crock of you know what. Expect GTA to be shut down again. Kids education is important no doubt but not at cost of another shutdown.

Thousands of test and only 175 new cases in Toronto is really not a major concern.
why?
Majority of the cases are 40
Hospital metrics are stable
Only 75 schools of the over 4000 have cases (Province)
Cycle thresholds: some are set at 45 and others at 25.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

You can easily verify this kind of thing.

This is common and CDC reports its stats for many diseases (influenza, etc.) as a range because of the known undercount.

This info is from CDC regarding the annual number of flu deaths in U.S.

"CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.”

Burden of Influenza.

Info from CDC on H1n1.

"From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 million cases (range: 43.3-89.3 million), 274,304 hospitalizations (range: 195,086-402,719), and 12,469 deaths (range: 8868-18,306) in the United States due to the (H1N1) pdm09 virus."

2009 H1N1 Pandemic

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Well. Deaths have plummeted.

Keep your vitamin D high.

I'm aware.

Viruses can be hard on people

As of now, more people are dying of suicide than COVID-19.

We flattened the curve. in May. Case prevention is just pie in the sky pretending.

..and you point is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad