Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I’m going to say this again Leafers, keep safe distances mask up and wash hands lots. You could be that one that it does in no matter your age. Everyone is getting fatigued from this. Its coming again now. I though end of August it would jump higher so there is hope. We aren’t out the woods by any stretch.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
To me that is the most selfish thought process I've heard since this pandemic started, because its inconvenient for some parents, they feel that their inconvenience is more important than the safety of teachers. maybe they should make it mandatory for parents to spend "chaperone" time in the school with different classes, because ya know I'm sure they would be crawling over each other to spend time in a petri dish classroom with a bunch of snotty nosed kids.... I truly feel empathy for the teachers....

Let me clarify:
  • Criticizing online learning is absolutely valid - it's difficult for both students and teachers. My cousin and sister hate it.
  • Some parents just aren't able to stay at home full time anymore, and thus need schools as an outlet for child supervision.
  • Some people, simply put, cannot balance the demands of their job AND the demands of their student's education, at the same time.
It's easy to sit here and criticize parents, but until we are in their shoes with their circumstances, it's probably not fair to pass judgment on whether or not we are being selfish.
I also don't think they are putting teachers at risk - that's the province, specifically.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
My family, from both my side and my wife's, is littered with teachers. They too are not happy with Ford / the province. And yes, they do have a lot of legitimate concerns.

But for the love of God, they are also the biggest whiners ever. It's not always about them, which they make it out to be. They're not the only ones who have to go back to work with a lot of questions than answers.

Perhaps the teachers in your family are different, but the ones I know haven't really made this always about them- unlike many other professions, where social distancing is very easy to establish, you just can't do that in many classrooms currently.

The average number of students safely able to occupy a classroom while distanced, is 10-15 depending on size. Ask all your teacher folks how many of their classes are actually adhering to that number. My guess? 0 in most populated regions. All the teachers I know just do not have the ability and space to socially distance all students, and themselves.

Let's not sugar coat this - they are at risk. There's nothing wrong with criticizing policy makers when you are at risk.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Perhaps the teachers in your family are different, but the ones I know haven't really made this always about them- unlike many other professions, where social distancing is very easy to establish, you just can't do that in many classrooms currently.

The average number of students safely able to occupy a classroom while distanced, is 10-15 depending on size. Ask all your teacher folks how many of their classes are actually adhering to that number. My guess? 0 in most populated regions. All the teachers I know just do not have the ability and space to socially distance all students, and themselves.

Let's not sugar coat this - they are at risk. There's nothing wrong with criticizing policy makers when you are at risk.

As I originally suggested, the teachers absolutely have legitimate concerns. And of course, they are at risk. But the ones we know, they never care about the restaurant workers dealing with hundreds of patrons a day, the grocery workers putting food on the shelves for all of us with people flowing in and out constantly, or the retail workers (like my wife) who deal with numerous customers daily, many of which themselves don't adhere to physical distancing rules. Nope, for teachers, it's all about, "How am I supposed to keep 15 kids apart." Which was the basis of my point about thinking about themselves, and really, not about anyone else (granted, I find that is the case about a lot of things work related).

Again, I'm not disputing teachers as a whole have difficult jobs. Even moreso during the pandemic. But you mention to them about teaching from home -- nope...an absolute gong show. Hybrid method -- nope...double the work. In class -- nope...tough to maintain physical distancing. Then they'll say they want the government to get their sh!t together, and that they should delay the start of the school year until everything is properly set up. Sure. But as soon as someone retorts back, "Well, if you're not going to work, you should all be temporarily laid off and put on CERB just like all the other people who couldn't work because of the pandemic." Of course, that doesn't go over well with them either.

Reactions: KapG

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

High school are limiting 15 kids per classroom, but not elementary.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I’m going to say this again Leafers, keep safe distances mask up and wash hands lots. You could be that one that it does in no matter your age. Everyone is getting fatigued from this. Its coming again now. I though end of August it would jump higher so there is hope. We aren’t out the woods by any stretch.

We realistically have at least another 6 months of this ahead of us. There will be more peaks and valleys along the way.

The good thing is that we are ready for it this time around. Like many of us, I have found a way to make the best of things amid all the restrictions that have been placed on us, and I don't foresee any more lock downs unless the numbers go out of control.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Let me clarify:
  • Criticizing online learning is absolutely valid - it's difficult for both students and teachers. My cousin and sister hate it. So because they hate it, we should put teachers lives at risk? I happen to love it...
  • Some parents just aren't able to stay at home full time anymore, and thus need schools as an outlet for child supervision. So you're saying a a teacher should put themselves at risk because of life choices by some strangers
  • Some people, simply put, cannot balance the demands of their job AND the demands of their student's education, at the same time. thats fair but again its not in the teachers handbook that they have to risk contracting Covid because of parents life decisions
It's easy to sit here and criticize parents, but until we are in their shoes with their circumstances, it's probably not fair to pass judgment on whether or not we are being selfish. Sure its easy to pass judgement, I was a parent, I had kids, I had to make life decisions that were not easy for me or my wife, if my kids were still in school I would be pushing for the method of education that was the safest for my child and for the teacher.

I also don't think they are putting teachers at risk - that's the province, specifically.

The parents absolutely are putting teachers at risks.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

This has turned to a social experiment

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
Its the flu with a scarrryyy name. Remember when it was supposed to be “2 weeks to flatten the curve” because we didnt want the hospitals being overwhelmed? How many hospitals were even close? In fact nurses had enough time on their hands to make choreographed tiktok videos.

Now how many small businesses will shutter forever(along with the jobs associated) and people on the brink of financial ruin while amazon and walmart are up tens of billions

Reactions: Auston 316 and Smif

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Its the flu with a scarrryyy name. Remember when it was supposed to be “2 weeks to flatten the curve” because we didnt want the hospitals being overwhelmed? How many hospitals were even close? In fact nurses had enough time on their hands to make choreographed tiktok videos.

Now how many small businesses will shutter forever(along with the jobs associated) and people on the brink of financial ruin while amazon and walmart are up tens of billions

Small Medium and large business are taking a hit, but they’ll rebound. My concern are the Kids that are being manipulated and not allowed to live their lives. For example, If a kid has a dream of playing pro sports or being an Olympian adults are destroying that dream for no reason.

I live in an area of the world that’s not scared of this virus and we are letting our kids attempt to fulfill their dreams. I couldn’t live with myself if I refused to let my kid travel to his baseball tourneys.

I only hope parents of hockey players stand up and let their kids play hockey and live their lives.

Reactions: Auston 316

ShooterMikgaven

Sep 1, 2009
Sarnia, ON
Small Medium and large business are taking a hit, but they’ll rebound. My concern are the Kids that are being manipulated and not allowed to live their lives. For example, If a kid has a dream of playing pro sports or being an Olympian adults are destroying that dream for no reason.

I live in an area of the world that’s not scared of this virus and we are letting our kids attempt to fulfill their dreams. I couldn’t live with myself if I refused to let my kid travel to his baseball tourneys.

I only hope parents of hockey players stand up and let their kids play hockey and live their lives.
Unfortunately many businesses are not going to recover. Many restaurants and other storefronts in my town have closed for good coming out of lockdown and lots of bankruptcies to come. Have to agree on the effects on children theres been studies showing infants are affected negatively having to interact with masked adults and especially the public and highschool aged kids missing out on the social aspects of school/trips/grad/prom/sports etc

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Unfortunately many businesses are not going to recover. Many restaurants and other storefronts in my town have closed for good coming out of lockdown and lots of bankruptcies to come. Have to agree on the effects on children theres been studies showing infants are affected negatively having to interact with masked adults and especially the public and highschool aged kids missing out on the social aspects of school/trips/grad/prom/sports etc
That is sad. Many many “experts” have lost their way during this.

Fortunately, I’m back to normal for the most part, kids in school, playing sports and living their life and have been for several weeks.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
The virus is so deadly that they opened up all the schools and sent back all the staff, Teachers and kids.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
chance so far of dying of covid-19 in ontario

under 20: 1 in 3 million
20-40: 1 in 300,000

The sky isn't falling.

40-60: 1 in 30,000

Suicide rates are much higher than that.

I won’t be surprised if some will want to shut down schools when there is a flu outbreak. Even with a vaccine and anti-virals the flu far worse than Covid on children.

Reactions: ShooterMikgaven

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
chance so far of dying of covid-19 in ontario

under 20: 1 in 3 million
20-40: 1 in 300,000

The sky isn't falling.

40-60: 1 in 30,000

Suicide rates are much higher than that.

You do understand that those stats are with severe mitigation tactics, if we just let the virus take its course about 3 million die in the US, 300,000 would ide in Canada, this is a serious virus, almost 1,000,000 people have died so far with lockdowns in effect ... to the families who have lost loved ones, the sky did fall.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You do understand that those stats are with severe mitigation tactics, if we just let the virus take its course about 3 million die in the US, 300,000 would ide in Canada, this is a serious virus, almost 1,000,000 people have died so far with lockdowns in effect ... to the families who have lost loved ones, the sky did fall.

There wasnt a very long lockdown in the US and the death count is in no way near 3 million. 180k is an exaggeration based on how the record deaths.
Like every virus before it, it’ll spread until it can no longer find hosts.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Reactions: moon111

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
There are clusters of these special interest people with their own interests at the forefront of every comment they make. Selfishness and agenda and many times its their political stripe. Best thing about this is the way people expose their intentions and character on the underbelly ha.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
F*** i hide from it pretty good so far. All good leafer i just hope you don’t get it. I wouldn’t wish it on anybody:)

I probably had it. I’ve certainly been exposed since household family members have tested positive that we’re showing minor symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad