Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Ontario still seeing a nice steady increase with little impact on the critical hospital metrics.

Not true at all. Hospitalizations have jumped from 38 to 86 in less than 2 weeks. ICU cases have tripled. Since you have obviously been following along, you must know that there is quite a lag in between reported cases before hospitalizations, then another lag before deaths.

Why people are concerned is because it's still holding at 1% of people who contract the virus dies. So when cases start jumping rapidly, it's only a matter of time before everything else goes up.

I am not one to vote for another lockdown, and I certainly don't want to see businesses suffer, but we can't let what happened in Florida and Texas happen here

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not true at all. Hospitalizations have jumped from 38 to 86 in less than 2 weeks. ICU cases have tripled. Since you have obviously been following along, you must know that there is quite a lag in between reported cases before hospitalizations, then another lag before deaths.

Why people are concerned is because it's still holding at 1% of people who contract the virus dies. So when cases start jumping rapidly, it's only a matter of time before everything else goes up.

I am not one to vote for another lockdown, and I certainly don't want to see businesses suffer, but we can't let what happened in Florida and Texas happen here
Where do you see syndromic surveillance and hospitalizations in Ontario.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

They release the number everyday. In fact it's the only number worth looking at.

Cases are hugely under reported, so the only indicator of what is happening is hospitalizations. Which is why Europe is starting to panic again, as after weeks of cases climbing, they are starting to see massive spikes.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

I think before people freak out that cases are rising,, they need to remember that when we first had a lockdown, things looked to be the same as right now,, but since we were hardly testing anyone, it was far more out of control.

Because it got into LTC homes, the mortality rate seemed a little higher, but it still is and always has been atound 1%.

So when 60 people were dying a day, there had to be at least 6000 a day infected, not the 600 that was accounted for.

This is why we are not rushing into a lockdown. The government ( although I guess some would argue otherwise) does not want to cripple us. They don't want to hand out money to people all day every day. They hoped that we would figure out how to live through this responsibly. For the most part we have.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They release the number everyday. In fact it's the only number worth looking at.

Cases are hugely under reported, so the only indicator of what is happening is hospitalizations. Which is why Europe is starting to panic again, as after weeks of cases climbing, they are starting to see massive spikes.
All I look at is hospitalizations and ICU and the percent of ER visits with CLI, ILI and Pneumonia - I cant find this for Ontario.
They have lots of graphs of cases but I don’t see any by hospitalizations

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
All I look at is hospitalizations and ICU and the percent of ER visits with CLI, ILI and Pneumonia - I cant find this for Ontario.
They have lots of graphs of cases but I don’t see any by hospitalizations

Ontario Health released one today. Aug 24 there were 38 people in hospital. Today there were 82.

We were down to under 10 in ICU and now back to 30.

Still in pretty great shape when compared to other first world countries

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Ontario still seeing a nice steady increase with little impact on the critical hospital metrics.

I think we need to wait 2/3 weeks to see what comes of these new cases and where hospitalization and death rates are then. If they are relatively low as they are now, then we can proceed cautiously as we are now. If those numbers start jumping, then there will be serious cause for concern as the colder months hit and everyone will be spending more time indoors.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ontario Health released one today. Aug 24 there were 38 people in hospital. Today there were 82.

We were down to under 10 in ICU and now back to 30.

Still in pretty great shape when compared to other first world countries
I think it would be better to be going through this in Jun-Aug rather Sep-Nov.
Did it ever reach an epidemic in Ontario?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think we need to wait 2/3 weeks to see what comes of these new cases and where hospitalization and death rates are then. If they are relatively low as they are now, then we can proceed cautiously as we are now. If those numbers start jumping, then there will be serious cause for concern as the colder months hit and everyone will be spending more time indoors.
Where is everyone getting this people spend more time in doors Deal makes any difference. I’m not seeing the classification anywhere that says this thing only spreads indoors. New boundary for spread I wasn’t aware of or something. The f***er spreads anywhere. Everyone just going full bore dictates the spread not some fictional boundaries that seem to be made up. Why do you believe that kind of Sh!t anyways. Comments like this is becoming common and common doesn’t me it’s right is all I’ll say.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Where is everyone getting this people spend more time in doors Deal makes any difference. I’m not seeing the classification anywhere that says this thing only spreads indoors. New boundary for spread I wasn’t aware of or something. The f***er spreads anywhere. Everyone just going full bore dictates the spread not some fictional boundaries that seem to be made up. Why do you believe that kind of Sh!t anyways. Comments like this is becoming common and common doesn’t me it’s right is all I’ll say.

We're required to wear masks indoors, not outdoors. I'm sure there is a reason for that. In the same way we can sit on a patio without a mask on as opposed to sitting inside a restaurant and be required to.

I don't walk down the street wearing a mask. But I'm also not going to a ribfest in a park standing shoulder to shoulder with everyone, where yes, the chances of it spreading would be higher.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yes. I think it would have been better to loosen up before people get indoors

From Muge Cevik. Paper out reviewing transmission dynamics.

*Transmission is complex and multidimensional & depends on many factors: contact pattern, individual factors, environment, & socioeconomic factors are at play
*Sustained contact drives clusters and infections --> close family/friends and gatherings of them the highest risk
*70% of cases do not go on to infect anyone else
*80% of new infections come from 20% of cases
*Window of infectiousness is short, 5-7 days around symptom onset
*While asymptomatic patients can transmit the virus to others, evidence suggests that asymptomatic index cases transmit to fewer secondary cases. Attack rates are highly correlated with symptom severity
*Transmission is affected by host factors, including host defense mechanisms and age. For instance, given the same exposure, susceptibility to infection increases with age, higher in > 60yo compared to younger or middle-aged adults.
*Contact tracing studies suggest an almost 20x higher risk of transmission indoors compared with outdoor environments.
*Prolonged indoor contact in a crowded and poorly ventilated environment increases the risk of transmission substantially.
*Global figures suggest that COVID-19 pandemic is strongly shaped by structural inequities, adverse living and working conditions
*Households in socioeconomically deprived areas are more likely to be overcrowded, increasing the risk of transmission within the household. These disparities also shape the strong geographic heterogeneities observed in the burden of cases and deaths.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
We're required to wear masks indoors, not outdoors. I'm sure there is a reason for that. In the same way we can sit on a patio without a mask on as opposed to sitting inside a restaurant and be required to.

I don't walk down the street wearing a mask. But I'm also not going to a ribfest in a park standing shoulder to shoulder with everyone, where yes, the chances of it spreading would be higher.
Its being minimized with misinformation and a attempt to scale back the seriousness. The same risks apply now as before unless its mutated weaker or stronger. Many died on respirators Before so respirators available doesn’t change the fatality rate any. It simply makes them available.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Why do you feel it'll be a gong show? Is it nervousness that the protocols aren't in place, or that patrons won't follow them?
Patrons won't follow the protocol. Say or feel however you want about masks being mandatory, the amount of people dumbfounded that they have to wear one while inside our restaurant when they've gotta pee is astounding. It happens at least once a day even though we have it clearly posted at both entrances that a mask must be worn when inside our establishment. I've always felt that it's the same thing as "no shirt, no shoes, no service".

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I knew there were 2 ways this virus could transmit, 1) touch, 2) droplets but there is third transmission method that they are now saying is probable, aerosol transmission, which was described as it behaves like smoke would, tiny particles so light that they stay suspended in air for long periods of time. Fun stuff... this virus just gets better every day...

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Patrons won't follow the protocol. Say or feel however you want about masks being mandatory, the amount of people dumbfounded that they have to wear one while inside our restaurant when they've gotta pee is astounding. It happens at least once a day even though we have it clearly posted at both entrances that a mask must be worn when inside our establishment. I've always felt that it's the same thing as "no shirt, no shoes, no service".

Good luck! Hopefully patrons do their small part for themselves as well as the restaurant staff. Doing so to help keep all businesses open benefits everyone.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2020-9-23_9-4-11.png

1 death under 20 during entire COVID-19.
out of 3 million.

upload_2020-9-23_9-7-34.png

Motor vehicle deaths literally 15x higher.

And I wont even mention the Suicide rate.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
View attachment 368565

1 death under 20 during entire COVID-19.
out of 3 million.

View attachment 368566

Motor vehicle deaths literally 15x higher.

And I wont even mention the Suicide rate.

I am not clear what your point is? I think pretty much everyone knows by now that those under 20 are not going to perish from this. What people are worried about is them spreading it to people who will.

Comparing an infectious disease to suicide and car accidents really doesn't make any sense.

Where are you getting these suicide numbers? Last number I saw was 1480 suicides per day worldwide, which is slightly up worldwide,, while since the start of the pandemic the average has been 5600 people per day die worldwide

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
300 people die in Ontario everyday.

The fact that a few die of COVID isn't significant.

Sorry.

Viruses gunna virus.

Older people at risk can self isolate. And wait for the world to make the first human coronavirus vacccine. (All previous attempts have failed).

Reactions: kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad