Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Still very concerning that cases are picking up steam again ... only a matter of time before hospitalizations start to rise ... we could see this coming after bars and restaurants and now schools opened up again ... what we are hearing now from politicians like Ford is they are blaming da kids parties for this growth ... to me that is a crock of sh*t ... so lets put massive fines on some party hosts in Brampton and blame Brampton party goers for this issue ... makes me sick really ... why not just say heh folks we opened up bars/restaurants/schools and we are gonna have rising numbers and a 2nd wave ... but NO because that makes them look bad ... what a joke
Kids back to school is a babysitter service. Otherwise they would go the safest route of online classes. How many schools are closed already. Wow no surprise. I’m still staying my distance. I was invited to a pub for a birthday party tonight. Yeah right, thats not happening. Ford has lost all credibility as have all the other morons. Civilian unrest not a concern for them now. It better be

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I saw this coming. Time to buckle down for a rough few months ahead.

I'm glad I can work from home and my kids are doing virtual classes.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Kids back to school is a babysitter service. Otherwise they would go the safest route of online classes. How many schools are closed already. Wow no surprise. I’m still staying my distance. I was invited to a pub for a birthday party tonight. Yeah right, thats not happening. Ford has lost all credibility as have all the other morons. Civilian unrest not a concern for them now. It better be

Not necessarily, there are millions of people in Canada without access to High speed internet, there are millions who are living below the poverty line and can't afford a PC/Laptop or internet. A lot of people who have kids are young, working minimum wage, customer facing jobs and can't stay home to supervise their children to home school them.

Although Ford is a PC Premier (I don't typically vote PC), I think Ford has done a reasonably good job considering the size of Ontario. I think there were lessons learned from the first wave, such as better protocols at assisted care living facilities. I live in NB, I don't typically vote PC but would have this past election if I voted, I think our PC Premier did a good job keeping the population safe. It's impossible to keep everyone 100% safe.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Not necessarily, there are millions of people in Canada without access to High speed internet, there are millions who are living below the poverty line and can't afford a PC/Laptop or internet. A lot of people who have kids are young, working minimum wage, customer facing jobs and can't stay home to supervise their children to home school them.

Although Ford is a PC Premier (I don't typically vote PC), I think Ford has done a reasonably good job considering the size of Ontario. I think there were lessons learned from the first wave, such as better protocols at assisted care living facilities. I live in NB, I don't typically vote PC but would have this past election if I voted, I think our PC Premier did a good job keeping the population safe. It's impossible to keep everyone 100% safe.
True. However thats not in the GTA for high speed. Schools were actually issuing devices right after it started in March.?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
True. However thats not in the GTA for high speed. Schools were actually issuing devices right after it started in March.?

In most communities the debate is what about the kids who are being left behind? Schools were giving away laptops and Desktops? Did every child get one?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
In most communities the debate is what about the kids who are being left behind? Schools were giving away laptops and Desktops? Did every child get one?
From my expierence all got them. Smaller communities can accommodate smaller class sizes that conform to safe distances with 15 per class maximum. The science says classroom area sq footage works for 15 students. 30 per and sixty on a bus clearly doesn’t. The science and protocol for safe practices are unequivocally being neglected. Why? Its a easy answer and it’s definitely not error ing on the side of health and science obviously. Dropping the ball is what we are seeing. My guy transferred schools out at our farm to a 15 student setting. I feel comfortable as possibly can. The other option was 30 students in the city. We moved. Lol

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Kids back to school is a babysitter service. Otherwise they would go the safest route of online classes.

I think that first comment is a bit unfair. The kids had to go back for their own good. It's nice for them to have a group of kids/friends to interact again. They weren't going to get that at home.

Also, while safer, the online class route would have been a disaster. At least in our household. It was a waste of time to end last year, and no way my kids learn anything close to as much as they would in class.

How many schools are closed already.

It's only been one school so far, and that was due to an ignorant and negligent teacher.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think that first comment is a bit unfair. The kids had to go back for their own good. It's nice for them to have a group of kids/friends to interact again. They weren't going to get that at home.

Also, while safer, the online class route would have been a disaster. At least in our household. It was a waste of time to end last year, and no way my kids learn anything close to as much as they would in class.

It's only been one school so far, and that was due to an ignorant and negligent teacher.
Why is the teacher ignorant and the system that sent them back in to a unsafe situation that ignored science and safe distancing not having the finger pointed at them. Dropping your guard and dropping the ball totally is a big difference. It will happen more and more soon enough.

Reactions: mclaren55

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Why is the teacher ignorant and the system that sent them back in to a unsafe situation that ignored science and safe distancing not having the finger pointed at them. Dropping your guard and dropping the ball totally is a big difference. It will happen more and more soon enough.

The teacher was displaying symptoms and still went to school, while other teachers at that school weren't wearing masks. That is ignorance. All teachers and students are supposed to follow a self-evaluation list each day before going to school. If you display any symptoms, don't be a dimwit about it -- just stay home and not potentially expose others to the risk.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
each teacher had an option to stay at home to teach online or return to the classroom.

The overwhelming majority chose to return to the classrooms.

Not everyone is afraid.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
From my expierence all got them. Smaller communities can accommodate smaller class sizes that conform to safe distances with 15 per class maximum. The science says classroom area sq footage works for 15 students. 30 per and sixty on a bus clearly doesn’t. The science and protocol for safe practices are unequivocally being neglected. Why? Its a easy answer and it’s definitely not error ing on the side of health and science obviously. Dropping the ball is what we are seeing. My guy transferred schools out at our farm to a 15 student setting. I feel comfortable as possibly can. The other option was 30 students in the city. We moved. Lol

Kudos to you for putting your family first.

I can only speak of what they are doing here in NB. It seems like they are observing reasonable protocols. You have classroom bubbles, distance separation, you have to wear your mask on the bus and in the classrooms. High school students are part time in class and part time at home.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I saw this coming. Time to buckle down for a rough few months ahead.

I'm glad I can work from home and my kids are doing virtual classes.

To be fair, everyone saw this coming - as the weather cools, patios / outdoor options are no longer viable, so you are getting more people heading indoors: easier for the virus to spread and transmit.

If there's a silver lining here, it's that most of the new cases (over 67% of today's 400 new cases) are among people under 40; they are capable of fighting the virus off much easier, and Ontario's fatality rates remain very low.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
each teacher had an option to stay at home to teach online or return to the classroom.

Not everyone is afraid.
This does not come down to solely fear though. A lot of teachers came back due to comfort, many don't like teaching online or are just not comfortable with the technology. It's also a lot to transfer lesson plans to from working in class to working on line. I work in a school and many are here because they felt this was the best way they could contribute to a student's education but there is definitely still fear of the disease.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Not everyone is afraid.

My sister, 2 cousins, and my best friend's girlfriend are all teachers.

All 4 of them were terrified of going back, and are not happy with Ford / the Province.

They all went back for the students - consistent feedback they all got from parents during the beginning of the pandemic, was that parents weren't too happy / keen with online teaching, and having students home all day.

Make no mistake about it. They are afraid, they are just hell of a lot braver than politicians.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

All 4 of them were terrified of going back, and are not happy with Ford / the Province.

They all went back for the students - consistent feedback they all got from parents during the beginning of the pandemic, was that parents weren't too happy / keen with online teaching, and having students home all day.

Make no mistake about it. They are afraid, they are just hell of a lot braver than politicians.

My family, from both my side and my wife's, is littered with teachers. They too are not happy with Ford / the province. And yes, they do have a lot of legitimate concerns.

But for the love of God, they are also the biggest whiners ever. It's not always about them, which they make it out to be. They're not the only ones who have to go back to work with a lot of questions than answers.

Reactions: WWB and Tak7

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
But for the love of God, they are also the biggest whiners ever. It's not always about them, which they make it out to be. They're not the only ones who have to go back to work with a lot of questions than answers.
There are others who are also back to work, but are those others responsible for 30+ kids? Have you ever had to keep a bunch of 10 year olds away from each other, for a full day, during a pandemic? Not many jobs that have gone back to work need to deal with that stress.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah I cancelled at a pub drink tonight too. D*mn I hate to do it but I can't get sick with this thing. It is spreading very fast again. Buds start to think I am going p*ssy. But I can't wear that d*mn mask and visor stuff. Take it off have a drink and put it back on take a leak no way not for me.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

To me that is the most selfish thought process I've heard since this pandemic started, because its inconvenient for some parents, they feel that their inconvenience is more important than the safety of teachers. maybe they should make it mandatory for parents to spend "chaperone" time in the school with different classes, because ya know I'm sure they would be crawling over each other to spend time in a petri dish classroom with a bunch of snotty nosed kids.... I truly feel empathy for the teachers....

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Yeah I cancelled at a pub drink tonight too. D*mn I hate to do it but I can't get sick with this thing. It is spreading very fast again. Buds start to think I am going p*ssy. But I can't wear that d*mn mask and visor stuff. Take it off have a drink and put it back on take a leak no way not for me.

Who gives a sweet F what others think, when you are on a ventilator in a hospital, does it really matter if they think you are badass?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
To me that is the most selfish thought process I've heard since this pandemic started, because its inconvenient for some parents, they feel that their inconvenience is more important than the safety of teachers. maybe they should make it mandatory for parents to spend "chaperone" time in the school with different classes, because ya know I'm sure they would be crawling over each other to spend time in a petri dish classroom with a bunch of snotty nosed kids.... I truly feel empathy for the teachers....
Here here ... our teachers are gettin screwed over here ... older teachers especially ... there is no way you are not gettin exposed over 3-5 hours in same room with 15 kids ... i bet odds are very very high we have loads of teachers sick in next month

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
For the record, it's absolutely not a guarantee that teachers can just stay home and teach online.

I know a teacher around 65 who has such bad asthma that she uses an oxygen machine for an hour a day because the puffers aren't enough. She was denied the required note from her doctor because the doctor said teachers should be frontline workers, too.

I'm not blaming the government for that. She should get another doctor. But it's not true that teachers can simply ask to teach online this year and voila.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
For the record, it's absolutely not a guarantee that teachers can just stay home and teach online.

I know a teacher around 65 who has such bad asthma that she uses an oxygen machine for an hour a day because the puffers aren't enough. She was denied the required note from her doctor because the doctor said teachers should be frontline workers, too.

I'm not blaming the government for that. She should get another doctor. But it's not true that teachers can simply ask to teach online this year and voila.

There is more to this story.. Dr.'s rarely say no to people who have legit medical conditions, heck my Dr would back date sick notes for me , I just had to say hey 2 weeks ago I had a cold and boom, note... they tend to be pretty liberal in excusing their patients from virtually anything they want. I had one Dr offer to give me a prescription for weed , and I didn't even ask him, for something that weed wouldn't help.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
There is more to this story.. Dr.'s rarely say no to people who have legit medical conditions, heck my Dr would back date sick notes for me , I just had to say hey 2 weeks ago I had a cold and boom, note... they tend to be pretty liberal in excusing their patients from virtually anything they want. I had one Dr offer to give me a prescription for weed , and I didn't even ask him, for something that weed wouldn't help.

lol, not every doctor will just prescribe people weed for no reason. but maybe give me the doctor's name so i can get some adderall for my hair loss.

Reactions: Bluelines

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
One sniffle at my guys school and the kids are quarantined in a health room and isolated there until parent picks them up. Then a test.proof of negative and a couple weeks off depending on the varying circumstances. A positive would result in postponement of school. Heavy handed stuff. No fooling around.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Here here ... our teachers are gettin screwed over here ... older teachers especially ... there is no way you are not gettin exposed over 3-5 hours in same room with 15 kids ... i bet odds are very very high we have loads of teachers sick in next month
Most classes are way more than 15 kids. 15 is the safe number that can distance properly within the square footage of the average class. They are double that in many urban settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad