Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by uncleben, Jun 20, 2020.

1. uncleben Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    My face is my mask.
    Continue here.

2. Golden_Jet Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Cases in Ontario yesterday 208.

3. Peasy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
  4. Mess Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    The NHL announced late Friday that 11 of the 200 players tested since training facilities were allowed to open on June 8 have tested positive for COVID-19.

The league said the players, who weren't named, are self-isolating.

Two weeks ago, NHL players were allowed to return to their respective facilities for voluntary on- and off-ice workouts. Players were allowed to skate in groups of up to six.

The NHL is targeting July 10 to open training camps, with games being played without fans present starting in late July or early August.

5. ACC1224 Keeping it real, someone has to.

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    That looks so unlikely to happen IMO

hoglund likes this.
  6. Leafs1991 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    I don't even understand why they are trying still? It's too late. Why not aim to start fresh in September with a new season? I don't understand the reasoning behind ruining two seasons instead of one.

Al14 and NinjaKick like this.
  7. ACC1224 Keeping it real, someone has to.

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Money

8. Mess Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Doesn't look promising if you open the doors and suddenly everybody that contacts the virus goes into mandatory 14 day quarantine immediately, and then contact tracing sends anyone you have come in contact recently into hibernation as well.

Pretty hard to run a training camp not knowing when and if anyone will be attending and work around all the missing bodies.

9. Leafs1991 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Obviously but what kind of money can they really make with no income from the fans? It just seems so dumb to do it now.

10. ACC1224 Keeping it real, someone has to.

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    They would have to pay back tv money for the missed games.

11. Wafflewhipper Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Why Money! It is because most don’t make enough and are stretched to the limit to pay their bills. There in lies the real fix. Wait until interest rates get hiked after this. Defaults will ge everywhere.
    Follow the money, i bet most will come to a dead end when they hit their budget. The cost of living out strips wages for decades now and not a whisper from anyone. It’s seriously bad.

Price fixing is done by who! Canadian food supply chain info is important. Farmer to shelf is where the fix is on meat for one example. The Farmer's Share | Chicken Farmers of Canada

Just dropping in some real stuff that influences your costs as a person every day here ha. Read it Supply Management and Consumer Prices: Don't Believe the Hype! | Chicken Farmers of Canada

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  12. Wafflewhipper Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    They are going with it.

13. Wafflewhipper Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  14. Gabriel426 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    It is not just money but more to do with sending out a positive confidence message to the general public that, things are getting back to normal.
    Looking back the past few months, the general public only really start taking COVID seriously the moment Jazz stopped their game, both the US and Canada govt also announced the lockdown after the Jazz canceled game.
    At least to me, I see a huge shift from it is just the flu, people are stupid for hoarding supplies...prior to the canceled Jazz game to literally, where can I get toilet paper, let’s cancel all conf till Sept....
    Not saying the canceled Jazz game was the tipping point but when you look at people comments and their reactions prior and after, you can see a huge shift in opinions.

LeafsNation75 likes this.
  15. GLobello Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    You guys know that the NHL can't just do whatever the hell it wants right. Everybody just saying they're going ahead because money and don't care about the health of the players or the general public are wrong. Nothing happens unless the respective governments give the league the green light. Clearly the Canadian and US governments along with the experts on the NHL/NBA/MLB/MLS etc. think they can go ahead with a restart safely so let's see what happens.

Dave92 likes this.
  16. Peasy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Also the NHLPA has agreed.

Edit: I guess they still haven't voted on the final phases yet.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  17. zeke The Dube Abides

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    [​IMG]

ItsFineImFine likes this.
  18. ItsFineImFine Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    ^ Also I think we have pretty much all sports going now in Aus/NZ including their cricket/rugby/AFL?

Nice to see some normalcy and we can basically resume sports behind closed doors in Canada too now I think but the American-based leagues like the NHL are just thinking American. Though I still wince though when I see something like an ice cream truck and a bunch of people going to get ice cream from that ice cream truck in my part of the GTA.

19. Gabriel426 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    When we look at Euro football leagues or rugby unionS in Aus/NZ, one thing we need to consider is that those leagues which are resuming, they are all domestic leagues and I think when their leagues were suspended, the players didn’t leave those Countries, I could be wrong about this though as I don’t follow these league closely like the NBA and NHL.
    Looking at numbers and stuff, I think if the NHL, NBA.. only got Canadian teams, the league probably restarted/Camp already.

20. Joey Hoser Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Because they might not even be able to start normally in the fall either. We know there won't be fans, but just having teams travel around as normal, probably won't make sense either. It might be this or nothing until the fall of '21.

21. meefer Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Thank you for this. From a quick read, it appears that: a) BC dealt with 372 more deaths than would normally be recorded during the same time periods over the last 5 years, that b) Quebec exceeded their historical trends by 1,472 deaths, and c) 402 excess deaths occurred in Alberta in comparison. In part, the explanations being provided include: underlying conditions, changing population compositions, and attribution decisions on behalf of the medical community in those areas.

Loss of life in any way is a loss. However, from what I've been reading here the outbreak's apparent impact is being extended beyond it's actual impact. People die from a variety of reasons. Based on what I read in the report provided, it appears that many more deaths are being attributed to Covid than what the comparison of 'excess mortality' trends suggest.

If I'm missing something here, my apologies, accept that my mistake is one of ignorance more than intent. And, if I am missing something, would someone be kind enough to put me straight.

mmalady likes this.
  22. JT AM da real deal Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Next season is a pipe dream with da anticipated 2nd wave ... there is likely only a limited chance to finish up season in July August and September and then we will likely be back into lockdown in October until a cure/vaccine is found

23. kb Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    That's going to be years, if ever.....

24. JT AM da real deal Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    Stay safe ... exercise your lungs everyday my friend ... keep fit ... and keep taking da vitamins and health supplements ... we have to be strong in event it hits us ... it is all we can really do ... I truly hope we can figure out a cure/vaccine before late fall/winter

Wafflewhipper and kb like this.
  25. zeke The Dube Abides

SB Cash:
    $ 300,000
    no, the opposite.

for example, for the period they are discussing, Alberta has 4oo excess deaths this year over the very highest recent level, but only 40 have been reported as covid. this would suggest that the number of covid-related deaths is being significantly under-reported, as there are no other known explanations for those excess deaths.

Slot, Blue Nate, meefer and 1 other person like this.