Coronavirus discussion thread (no political debates) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Is 2nd wave on us now? Cases rising big time in GTA and hospitalizations and ICU's going up too. Get ready for another lock down in fall. Opening up our schools for da community spread was likely a very stupid decision. We all know what is going on here. Da kids are not wearing masks properly and bottom line kids will be kids. I hope I am wrong on this but blaming it on da party goers seems like a crock of you know what. Expect GTA to be shut down again. Kids education is important no doubt but not at cost of another shutdown.

The cases started rising before the schools opened, but that will no doubt exacerbate the problem. I have said all along that we have the technology and infrastructure in place to have all students attend classes virtually until the pandemic is over, and the status quo will unnecessarily put many people at risk.

I don't foresee another complete shutdown though. For the most part, businesses will continue to operate with the same restrictions in place.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Since those demographics are more likely to die of the seasonal flue or commit suicide because of draconian lockdown measures your argument is pointless fear mongering

By your logic they can never leave the house again, these kids should be in school, playing sports and interacting normally again because that's what the science says should happen

/QUOTE]

Echo chamber much?

It really isn't pointless fear mongering, perhaps take your head out of the sand long enough to THINK before you post.

Science says they should be interacting like normal? So normal would be sharing smokes, close contact, no social distancing, no masks, ... right... science says we should just all just act like nothing is going on...

So I will dumb it down... what are the two most common transmissions methods for Covid-19 1) touch and 2) air borne. Football is a contact sport, dog piles are common, it's impossible to observe social distancing or not touch an opponent while playing a contact sport. Is that simple enough for you to understand? Lets violate the golden rule of prevention because little Johnny is sad he cant play sports.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
The cases started rising before the schools opened, but that will no doubt exacerbate the problem. I have said all along that we have the technology and infrastructure in place to have all students attend classes virtually until the pandemic is over, and the status quo will unnecessarily put many people at risk.

I don't foresee another complete shutdown though. For the most part, businesses will continue to operate with the same restrictions in place.

Society is too connected to the practice that the kids go to school while the parents go to work. So the economy can’t properly open up until the schools are open and running. Let’s also not forget just how vitally important real life social interactions with other students is for children. I agree that high schools could be running online for another semester... but not elementary schools.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

I truly hope you are right ... but I can't see how it does not spread like wildfire through da schools ... and sad pert is no one will know if they got a cold or COVID ... are we going start testing kids??????????????? ... i have 2 friends who are elementary school teachers grades 2 and 4 in Mississauga and they are being told kids who start coughing or taking off their masks go to various rooms as they wait for parental pickup ... so grade 4 teachers classroom on Friday 3 kids not wearing masks and accidentally ripping sides off ears and 1 kid coughing so these 4 kids are off to room ... by end of day still 2 kids sitting in a room being supervised by vice principal admin ... why 2 parents at work and no one to pick up those kids ... so they wait in room all day ... now is teacher going to come out of their pocket for extra masks --- answer yes they will but when kids rip off ear straps then they go to room again ... I am sure this is already happening on most classes so only time before it gets a lot worse

Reactions: ronzigato

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

why not let the ones that are not contagious play? The ones that are, sit out for 7-14 days?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
why not let the ones that are not contagious play? The ones that are, sit out for 7-14 days?
We could but are we all gonna fund the 100,000+ tests we need everyday in schools?????????????? Maybe once we have a simple test which you can do on your own.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Here in BC, kids are back at school for a few weeks and the list of schools either having someone tested positive and/or exposed to a positive case is rising.
Some students at my kids school were exposed, which led to quarantine for the whole class and I know some of them personally. They showed me the email that CDC sent to them, it stated siblings and parents can still go to schools and to work but the person exposed to the positive case needs to be in quarantine for 14 days, plus they will not conduct any tests till there are clear signs of symptoms.

In short, people are not happy with that protocol.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I truly hope you are right ... but I can't see how it does not spread like wildfire through da schools ... and sad pert is no one will know if they got a cold or COVID ... are we going start testing kids??????????????? ... i have 2 friends who are elementary school teachers grades 2 and 4 in Mississauga and they are being told kids who start coughing or taking off their masks go to various rooms as they wait for parental pickup ... so grade 4 teachers classroom on Friday 3 kids not wearing masks and accidentally ripping sides off ears and 1 kid coughing so these 4 kids are off to room ... by end of day still 2 kids sitting in a room being supervised by vice principal admin ... why 2 parents at work and no one to pick up those kids ... so they wait in room all day ... now is teacher going to come out of their pocket for extra masks --- answer yes they will but when kids rip off ear straps then they go to room again ... I am sure this is already happening on most classes so only time before it gets a lot worse

Here’s some positive news on this topic.

France’s education ministry actually eased their restrictions this week on children 3-10 yr olds because their High Council on public health advisory board stated that “children pose little risk of contracting serious cases and of spreading SARS-CoV-2“.
Even if a classmate tests positive you can still attend classes and do not have quarantine for the mandated 7 days and you do not require a negative test to return.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Here’s some positive news on this topic.

France’s education ministry actually eased their restrictions this week on children 3-10 yr olds because their High Council on public health advisory board stated that “children pose little risk of contracting serious cases and of spreading SARS-CoV-2“.
Even if a classmate tests positive you can still attend classes and do not have quarantine for the mandated 7 days and you do not require a negative test to return.

and just yesterday someone here wrote this:

"So the risk of dying or contracting a life long disability, no matter how remote or probable is for the sake of a game, is worth putting a childs life at risk... glad to see your priorities are straight."

see what I mean.... for every scare article there's another one portraying the exact opposite. And then of course the person who wrote that yesterday shut me down on it...

truth is we can find as many scare articles as we can positive articles out there. Which led me to my question, how does anyone have any faith in what we are reading on this.

Either you've finally come to your senses and realised the health concerns are no where even close to what we were being told 6 months ago, or you still believe that the government has opened all schools and sent back tens of thousands of staff, teachers and children as young as 4 years old into a "life-threatening" situation...

now, THAT is what I would call a "conspiracy theory" to be honest

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
and just yesterday someone here wrote this:

"So the risk of dying or contracting a life long disability, no matter how remote or probable is for the sake of a game, is worth putting a childs life at risk... glad to see your priorities are straight."

see what I mean.... for every scare article there's another one portraying the exact opposite. And then of course the person who wrote that yesterday shut me down on it...

truth is we can find as many scare articles as we can positive articles out there. Which led me to my question, how does anyone have any faith in what we are reading on this.

Either you've finally come to your senses and realised the health concerns are no where even close to what we were being told 6 months ago, or you still believe that the government has opened all schools and sent back tens of thousands of staff, teachers and children as young as 4 years old into a "life-threatening" situation...

now, THAT is what I would call a "conspiracy theory" to be honest

Barely anyone dies of it. The various ways to treat it without putting someone on a vent are working quite well. The numbers don't lie, it's just not very lethal at all. Most of the states and countries that did not lock down had very little differences in outcome. If you can breathe smoke out through your mask and smell it, your mask failed. The virus is the same size as that smoke, they use MERV13 and up for virus' and smoke etc, and a mask is not that, therefore can not work. I will not reply to the viral load argument because, it's kinda silly when you're dealing with billions of particles while they say just a single one can infect you.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Province (Ontario) wants to have it's cake and eat it too. One side of the mouth scolds people for gathering with more than 10+ people, then out the other side say bars, restaurants, schools, and strip clubs can be open. There's a clear disconnect going on here and it's no wonder people are frustrated.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Province (Ontario) wants to have it's cake and eat it too. One side of the mouth scolds people for gathering with more than 10+ people, then out the other side say bars, restaurants, schools, and strip clubs can be open. There's a clear disconnect going on here and it's no wonder people are frustrated.
This weekend my restaurant is re-opening for dine-in. It's going to be a gong show.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

One of the things I haven’t understood throughout this whole thing.

My family is discussing Thanksgiving dinner. 25 of us get together. The government squashed that the other day with the gathering limits. So I both facetiously and semi-seriously said if we can’t gather at the house, let’s all go to a restaurant since that is no problem. :rolleyes:

Makes no sense.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Gyms were closed - a place to exercise and stay healthy.
But liquor stores remained open.

Yes, they did this because they're trying to keep us safe and healthy!!

add that to the "makes complete sense" list.

And now people here really believe the government is sending tens of thousands of staff, teachers and children as young as 4 years old back to school and off into a "life threatening" situation

Some people just don't want to wake up

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Gyms were closed - a place to exercise and stay healthy.
But liquor stores remained open.

Yes, they did this because they're trying to keep us safe and healthy!!

add that to the "makes complete sense" list.

And now people here really believe the government is sending tens of thousands of staff, teachers and children as young as 4 years old back to school and off into a "life threatening" situation

Some people just don't want to wake up
Liquor stores have to stay open. Taking away alcohol from an alcoholic can kill them in a matter of days. It's very serious and going cold turkey can easily put them in the hospital. So now you not only have covid coming back, but you've created another health crisis.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don’t think a lot of what the government is doing makes sense.
In BC, bars and clubs are having last call at 10 and must close at 11pm.
Is there proof that the virus only starts to spread after 11pm?
We can’t go watch movies or sports game but our kids are okay to go to school? Last time I check, my kids don’t go to boarding schools.
Beside people wearing masks and the occasional lineups to stores. I see no different than pre COVID.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Yes, the virus is so dangerous that all children across the nation are back in school.

1 death under 20 in over 3 million in Ontario.

The real pandemic is people are so unhealthy now, that a virus is too much for us.

But almost no one talks about that.

Everyone thinks they are healthy, until they aren't. It isnt true. Most people cant even eat properly.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The government in Ontario is gutless. Pick on families who may not legally get together for Thanksgiving. But it's ok to go to strip clubs and bars.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Ontario still seeing a nice steady increase with little impact on the critical hospital metrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad