Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody traded to EDM for '19 3rd round pick

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Giroux Couturier Konecny
Lindblom Patrick Voracek

That top 6 could be in place for the next 4 years. And even then, it's Couts and G who are UFA's so they could re-sign.

Ratcliffe Frost Allison
Rubstov Vorobyev Aube-Kubel
Twarynski Laczynski Kase
Strome Marody Sushko
Cates Bunnaman Lycksell

And to think, the Flyers have 2 1st rounders in which 1 will be used on a F for sure. And everyone else we draft in just 3 months time.
And still has Simmonds who could be moved for futures.
And they still have guys like Laughton, Weal, Leier, etc... that I did not include.

Hextall will keep having to thin the herd, and add more picks into the future to keep the pipeline of kids coming. That's the beauty of drafting well. If you have so few busts, you keep the guys you expect to be the best, and roll the other ones over into more future picks.

Ha didn’t realize our top 6 had 5 first rounders. Soon the entire team will be first rounder or first round level! Hahahahbaba

Reactions: Tripod

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I was psyched on this dude when they drafted him. I think I read somewhere that they thought he was the fastest guy in the draft or at least one of them. I was hoping he'd crack the lineup in O&B. :(

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I accept the fact that the Flyers are going to end up giving up guys currently under control who will end up being decent players for other teams.

This deal is fair-ish, let's not get excited about it. Rinaldo for a 2nd rounder is great, this isn't.

Marody is a guy with some skill and upside who had a big year in a tough college conference; he very likely will contribute on Edmonton within the next two years. We're getting a pick that might help us in ~2023.

If Allison and Laczynski pan out, it won't matter much at all. I'm just hoping that this isn't part of an organizational philosophy that there's no room for guys who are primarily scorers on the 4th line.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
I accept the fact that the Flyers are going to end up giving up guys currently under control who will end up being decent players for other teams.

This deal is fair-ish, let's not get excited about it. Rinaldo for a 2nd rounder is great, this isn't.

Marody is a guy with some skill and upside who had a big year in a tough college conference; he very likely will contribute on Edmonton within the next two years. We're getting a pick that might help us in ~2023.

If Allison and Laczynski pan out, it won't matter much at all. I'm just hoping that this isn't part of an organizational philosophy that there's no room for guys who are primarily scorers on the 4th line.
Rinaldo got us 3rd

Reactions: kelmitchell

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
One of those things... way down on the depth chart and next year had they signed him he would have been buried on the Phantoms even.

Carey - Vorobyev - Allison
Rubtsov - Varone - Laczynski
Twarynski - Knight - Kase
Bunnaman - Bardreau -Fazleev

Assuming NAK, Martel AND Vecchione are not Phantoms next year...

3rd rounder seems fair value really.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
Or it can be used for help at the deadline just like this years 3rd was used to acquire Mzarek. Or it can used to trade up in the draft, even this years, to acquire a more advanced prospect that will help the Flyers much sooner than 2023.

And that's not even taking into account that they traded a guy who wasn't going to play. So regardless of when this pick provides help, they moved someone who was never going to help.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Marody's junior season was far superior to Mike Vecchione's or Matt Read's. He was at minimum a top 15-18 Flyers prospect and probably improved his stock the most of any player under team control for 2017-18. To assume he couldn't carve out a spot for himself is pretty presumptuous.

Reactions: hatcher

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Marody's junior season was far superior to Mike Vecchione's or Matt Read's. He was at minimum a top 15-18 Flyers prospect and probably improved his stock the most of any player under team control for 2017-18. To assume he couldn't carve out a spot for himself is pretty presumptuous.
At the midterm rankings, he was roughly #11-13 on most people's lists....OF JUST FORWARDS. And that does not include guys like TK and Patrick. Plus our entire top 6 is here for possibly the next 4 years.

There just is not room for everyone.

Last summer he was ranked #24 best prospect....not including goalies. And was #17 for forwards and only Patrick and Leier graduated until Lindblom did.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
At the midterm rankings, he was roughly #11-13 on most people's lists....OF JUST FORWARDS. And that does not include guys like TK and Patrick. Plus our entire top 6 is here for possibly the next 4 years.

There just is not room for everyone.

Last summer he was ranked #24 best prospect....not including goalies. And was #17 for forwards and only Patrick and Leier graduated until Lindblom did.

Yep, and I would rather have Tanner than Cooper if we have to make room for one.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem for Marody is he only had one spot available, 3rd line winger.
He was way behind a half dozen prospects for a 4th line role, if Sushko doesn't score, he's still a viable 4th line winger while he develops, if Marody doesn't score, he's an AHL player.
We've seen this with Cousins, Weal and Leier, none are a good 4th line fit.

The reason Hextall tells someone like Sushko to focus on defense and forechecking isn't because he doesn't have potential to be a scoring winger some day, it's that with limited berths on the Flyers the next half decade or longer, his best chance of making the team is to ensure that his floor is a 4th line forward, his ceiling is up to him. Marody doesn't have a floor, he has a basement.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
If you go back to the world juniors and look at the point productions of the kids that play NCAA then look at the point production of the kids that play in the CHL the point production of the CHL kids is about double. It is much easier to score in the CHL so Marodys production and i know he is a late 96 but he is out producing" several" players we have signed already and you all know who they are. So i figure it has more to do he would not sign so they trade him now while they still have good value.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
The problem for Marody is he only had one spot available, 3rd line winger.
He was way behind a half dozen prospects for a 4th line role, if Sushko doesn't score, he's still a viable 4th line winger while he develops, if Marody doesn't score, he's an AHL player.
We've seen this with Cousins, Weal and Leier, none are a good 4th line fit.

The reason Hextall tells someone like Sushko to focus on defense and forechecking isn't because he doesn't have potential to be a scoring winger some day, it's that with limited berths on the Flyers the next half decade or longer, his best chance of making the team is to ensure that his floor is a 4th line forward, his ceiling is up to him. Marody doesn't have a floor, he has a basement.
Haha. That's a good line and also seems accurate here.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
im suprised if he sees games in reg season
They've held on to Taylor Leier all year. I think Martel is a better prospect. The team will probably have to buyout or dump Weise/Lehtera in the AHL to keep some of these guys on the NHL roster.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
They've held on to Taylor Leier all year. I think Martel is a better prospect. The team will probably have to buyout or dump Weise/Lehtera in the AHL to keep some of these guys on the NHL roster.
so there is no chance we trade Martel?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad