Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody traded to EDM for '19 3rd round pick

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
if any pick won't sign here because they want an easy spot and aren't willing to prove themself. then i say good luck at your next stop.

I don't think a guy like Merrick Madsen wants an easy spot and isn't willing to prove himself. He's just smart enough to realize that signing with a team that's already loaded with goalie prospects would be a bad move for his career.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I don't think a guy like Merrick Madsen wants an easy spot and isn't willing to prove himself. He's just smart enough to realize that signing with a team that's already loaded with goalie prospects would be a bad move for his career.
He got traded to Arizona...his career is already over

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
i agree some what in that no spot in the nhl is easy to get and the path easiest to get there might be a smart way to go. but i don't see the guy who goes for the easier option as having the stuff to make any real difference on a winning team.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I don’t really blame Madsen. Most teams only really carry 4-5 goalies on NHL contract. The guy probably would have been in the ECHL as a 23 year old by default next year with a tougher depth chart to navigate through.

Arizona only has three other goalies signed on for next year sans Madsen. So at worst he’s going to be in the AHL likely.

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Madsen was that good, they'd have tried to sign him as a junior.
Is there any reason to think he's superior to Lyon?

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You can try and sign them but they can say no and often do. Just because we might try and sign Amorosa , Allison and Laczynski does not mean they will sign . I am also a jets fan and they don't think Suess is going to sign and he is a senior like Amorosa. The college kids who preform have options and their agents know it. Marody comes to mind

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
They can just go back and graduate later if they want, whether it’s over summers or online or even after they finish their career. It’s not like they are doomed to never graduate if they leave early. There are return policies. Those aren’t scholarships either by the way. They are PAYING to play hockey there.

Thing is most of their players haven’t been worthy of leaving early, if they even got drafted. Program gets better (as they have in recent years), some talent might leave sooner.

Donato just did exactly that: left after 3 years. Maybe Adam Fox will be next.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What's an ELC, $2.4 to $2.7M?

That'll pay for your senior year, plus colleges have an incentive to work with ex-players because their goodwill is valuable for recruiting, as is their pro success.

A star player at Yale or Harvard also can make valuable alumni connections that open doors.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
270 is not that much , especially in some areas of the country like NOVA.

Also a normal working career is about 40 years long. In sports it could be as short as 3 years.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
270 is not that much , especially in some areas of the country like NOVA.

Also a normal working career is about 40 years long. In sports it could be as short as 3 years.

Median household income in Fairfax County is 104k. 270k brought in by a single person to play a game is very damned good. 270k is well above the GS scale, it isn't even an option for tons of workers up here.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Median household income in Fairfax County is 104k. 270k brought in by a single person to play a game is very damned good. 270k is well above the GS scale, it isn't even an option for tons of workers up here.

You would be surprised. I would say most non government employees make close to that amount. 270 is good , but if tis for 3 years its not sustainable. after 3 years you are left with no skills, no education, no ability to command a respectable income. Fortunately Wilcox has a degree so if worst comes to worst he can fall back on that.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
270k.
how will he ever survive.
You guys have no clue what you are actually talking about`when it comes to actual dollars it takes. At 135k per year, after taxes = 81000k minus 135000 times 4% for agent = 5400 so = 75600; summer training cost at least 20000 and this is a fact i know guys who do so 55600 minus 2000 per mo for apartment and furniture rental so 24000 so 31600 left. Then off of that is car payment; insurances ;fuel; food and they don't eat what we eat; airplaine tickets to training; going home for a visit with family,s; as well as money for social stuff plus every cat and dog wanting something donation wise etc...
A 135k is much different to you and me than it is to a professional athelete

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
If you’re in the AHL I seriously doubt you’re living some luxurious life. The locations of these AHL teams aren’t exactly Beverly Hills.

adirondack, rough

lehigh valley... aka allentown nope

hershey....shoot me

manchester...no chester

rockford...kill me

Grand rapids is little and slow

its not an enviable lifestyle at all.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Friend
of mine had a boy living in Providence , Bruins ahl team, his apartment was 2200 per month that was furnished, thats where the boys mostly stayed. He just rented furniture cause he never knew how long he was in each location and it was easier than having his furniture hauled everywhere he went . He is no longer there.
You guys were making it look like you were living a luxurious life making 135 k per year , your not. If i'm a college kid like Marody, Donato ,Borkstrand , Gaudette etc and you wanted me out early i sure the F ain't coming out early to go sit in the AHL. I'm not sure about Laczynski or Allison but if they wanted me out early i ain't going straight to the Ahl without some time in the show first to establish some money first.
Unfortunatly for junior players they do not have that leverage so they have to take what is offered but what is even worse if they can't make it which most can't. They have to go back and get a job with nothing more than a grade 12 education and zero work experience. I personally know a few of these guys and they are in their late twenties early thirties before they even start to get established and when they have wife and kids it tougher yet.
For every player that makes it there are dozens that don't some of you think it's wine and roses for all. I know better ,i know people who have made it and those who have not, there is quite a difference.
Some of you do know so this lecture is not for you,just saying

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's no different for young athletes as it is for actors, graduate students (how many Ph.D.s end up as adjuncts these days?), etc. Except most young actors starve, and graduate students get around $1000 month. A lot of jobs are tournaments, where it's up or out after a few years.

The difference for athletes and actors is they have a lot of fun pursuing their dreams (or they're crazy to do it), and in your 20s, it's not like a HS kid has destroyed his career prospects by taking a few years to play hockey, if you're a hero in Allentown, doors will open for you outside of Hockey. And for the college kids, they have their degree and a great topic of conversation in job interviews.

Cootsfanclub

For Oskar!
Mar 29, 2013
adirondack, rough

lehigh valley... aka allentown nope

hershey....shoot me

manchester...no chester

rockford...kill me

Grand rapids is little and slow

its not an enviable lifestyle at all.

Hey now, surrounding area of Glens Falls is very nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad