Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody traded to EDM for '19 3rd round pick

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
All 3 college kids will play the same position as pros: RW. That had to factor in. Even if NAK goes to the Flyers next year, that’s a lot at one position.

Meltzer has whispered for awhile that the Flyers much prefer the other two. It’s plausible that one could play LW, but it’s why I’m saying maybe the Flyers didn’t want to sign him either. They could’ve made their choice too.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You have to think this increases the chance of him being signed when OSU get knocked out.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I'm more than fine with this. We have such a deep pool, if Hextall can flip some guys they're not so bullish on for future picks while they still have value he should do it.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
This is one of those things that will potentially bother me for 15 years if he pans out. As such, I would have liked him kept and been the loser among RW prospects at the pro level and then traded or let go.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I have to assume he told the Flyers he wasn't signing here because of the logjam of prospects.

It sucks to see him go. A good prospect.
I think it’s more likely Marody wants to turn pro now, & the Flyers didn’t have room for that to happen.

After all, Marody had some academic problems at Michigan.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Giroux Couturier Konecny
Lindblom Patrick Voracek

That top 6 could be in place for the next 4 years. And even then, it's Couts and G who are UFA's so they could re-sign.

Ratcliffe Frost Allison
Rubstov Vorobyev Aube-Kubel
Twarynski Laczynski Kase
Strome Marody Sushko
Cates Bunnaman Lycksell

And to think, the Flyers have 2 1st rounders in which 1 will be used on a F for sure. And everyone else we draft in just 3 months time.
And still has Simmonds who could be moved for futures.
And they still have guys like Laughton, Weal, Leier, etc... that I did not include.

Hextall will keep having to thin the herd, and add more picks into the future to keep the pipeline of kids coming. That's the beauty of drafting well. If you have so few busts, you keep the guys you expect to be the best, and roll the other ones over into more future picks.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given there's no room on the top six for a while (and then Ratcliffe and Allison would probably have an edge on him, maybe Rubtsov or if they wanted to move Frost to wing), Marody's future with the Flyers was to compete in the AHL for a bottom six role. His skills aren't ideal for a checking role, and he'd be competing with similar players in Kase, Lycksell, Cates and Laczynski (i.e. more scorers than muckers) for a 3rd line scoring role.

He sounds like a slightly bigger version of Weal, guy who'll probably be a better scorer in the AHL than the NHL.

Getting a 3rd for a guy you drafted 6th two years ago is great value.

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
After Marody spent a year in the AHL, his trade value could plummet, but it would be unlikely to get much higher, since he'd struggle to get PT in LHV, much less Philly. So however he turns out, this is the right move, you can't make decisions based on the fear of making a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad