Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody traded to EDM for '19 3rd round pick

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
You are an American right, but i question this. Canada goes January 1st to December 31st for school years the US does not. So Allison for sure is a true freshman and Laczynski is close. US is school year to school year"mostly"so June 1st to May 30th. Nhl draft years go Sept 15 to Sept 14th . I know to many different dates to remember

Unless he repeated or something Laczynski should have been a senior in high school in his real draft year in 2015. These kids can accelerate their schooling to make it work though if they’re behind.

Jack Eichel for example he was a late birthday. So his freshmen year at BU he would have technically been a senior in high school. His last year with the US Program he was technically a junior in high school but he accelerated his schooling to skip that year & enter college a year early for his draft year.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Vecchione is good on draws and smart defensively. If that can translate to the NHL, he'll have a spot on the 4th line

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
With the purposefully crafted logjam by Hexy, I'm happy to see Marody traded for further down-the-line futures. Nice return by any standard at this moment.

I wanted to keep him but it's far more tolerable to me than having to listen to the huge f***in cry babies on here drowning in their tears about him not getting icetime over vets when he turns pro. There's already plenty of that and we're only just getting started.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall's full quote for those who don't want to click through:
"Sushko was good. He’s big player on that team. They don’t have a ton of ability, so he plays a big role, probably a bigger role than he would play with another country, but he was playing 24 to 26 minutes. Too much for a forward, but he’s a big guy, a thick guy that can skate. He’s got good sense. He was on their power play, their penalty kill. He did a lot of good things and played well. He’s not going to be that type of player at the pro level. He could be more of a two-way guy that’s not expected to score, but you hope he can chip in. He did a good job, made a name for himself. Obviously we knew him taking him in the fourth round, but he made a good impression."

I think that's perfectly reasonable, Sushko PD+1, he's put up 60g 31-29 60.
Which are decent numbers, but nothing to get excited about, that is, he's not Konecny or Lindblom or even NAK.

So his future is going to be a bottom six winger, which means he'd better check and play defense, and if he can score at a decent pace, he can carve out a spot for himself.

I mean look at the Flyer forwards ahead of him right now in the pipeline:
Ratcliffe, Allison, Rubtsov, all with higher draft pedigrees
Twarynski, Strome, Bunnaman are also physical wingers who can score goals.
Note I'm excluding the "pure scorer" types like Kase, Laczynski, Cates and Lycksell.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Unless he repeated or something Laczynski should have been a senior in high school in his real draft year in 2015. These kids can accelerate their schooling to make it work though if they’re behind.

Jack Eichel for example he was a late birthday. So his freshmen year at BU he would have technically been a senior in high school. His last year with the US Program he was technically a junior in high school but he accelerated his schooling to skip that year & enter college a year early for his draft year.
Yup the tale of the two Tkachuk,s both late birth dates Mathew was not good in school and could not get it done , age out of NTDP cause they are calendar year so jumped CHL. Brady does much better in school so accelerated it and went the college route , Quinn Hughes same thing this year.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Which are decent numbers, but nothing to get excited about, that is, he's not Konecny or Lindblom or even NAK.

So his future is going to be a bottom six winger, which means he'd better check and play defense, and if he can score at a decent pace, he can carve out a spot for himself.

Note I'm excluding the "pure scorer" types like Kase, Laczynski, Cates and Lycksell.

I feel like all these things could have been said about Patrick Sharp when he was drafted, except perhaps the fullness of the prospect pipeline (though we were in good shape with vets at that time).

I'm not making some guarantee that Sushko pans out, nor am I comparing him to Sharp's level of play. I'm not saying Sushko shouldn't work on making sure his defensive game is up to snuff in case third or fourth line duties are where he ends up. I'm saying it's bad form to try to predict where someone ends up and tailor their expectations based just on that. Some of those guys in front of him aren't going to pan out (because FO doesn't have a crystal ball) and there's no telling if Sushko does better, worse or the same as they predicted (because FO doesn't have a crystal ball). I just think it wasn't the best choice of words by Hextall, saying what kind of player he won't be, which surprises me since he is normally pretty close to the vest and calculated in situations like this.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

But dead, the one thing you ignore because you always side with mgt, is Hextall didn't have to SAY IT PUBLICALLY. He can say what he wants behind closed doors, try and figure projections, etc...

He just doesn't need to say PUBLICALLY that Sushko is not going to be that guy at the pro level. Because in reality, it's still too early to say. Is it likely, no. But you can never say definitively. After all, we have a 5th rounder on our 2nd line.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sharp was a late bloomer.
Sharp played two years in college, then 3 years in the AHL, with a half season of meh play for the Flyers (41g 5-2 7)
One reason he didn't stick at first was his defense wasn't good enough to be patient with his mediocre offense.
His last AHL season, he shined in the playoffs (21g 8-13 21 +9) [why I want a long Calder Cup run, great for prospect evaluation]

Next season Flyers trade him after 22 games, just before his 25th birthday, despite respectable numbers 22g 5-3 8
Traded to Chicago with Eric Meloche for Matt Ellison (4th rd pick who played 7 games for the Flyers) and Chicago's 3rd round pick.
He'd finish the season with 25 ES points in 72 games, two years later, 39 ES points and 7 short handed goals.

Here's the weird thing, Flyers were loaded with veteran forwards over 30,
Knuble (33), Kapanen (32), Nedved (34), Primeau (34), Savage (34), Brashear (34), Stevenson (33)
But they couldn't find a place for a talented young forward.
They didn't even trade him to improve the team, just to get a marginal draft pick.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
Vecchione is good on draws and smart defensively. If that can translate to the NHL, he'll have a spot on the 4th line

Not sure how much of the phantoms u watch but vorobyev is better defensively and at faceoffs than vecchione. It's always either vorobyev or knight taking the dzone draws.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
But dead, the one thing you ignore because you always side with mgt, is Hextall didn't have to SAY IT PUBLICALLY. He can say what he wants behind closed doors, try and figure projections, etc...

He just doesn't need to say PUBLICALLY that Sushko is not going to be that guy at the pro level. Because in reality, it's still too early to say. Is it likely, no. But you can never say definitively. After all, we have a 5th rounder on our 2nd line.

So now we're upset that Hextall is being honest?
I suspect Hextall said it for a reason, he wanted Sushko to understand what it was going to take to make it in Philly.
He may have been afraid that Sushko's success in the WJC might go to his head and the kid could decide he's a scorer first.

Lindblom was a much better prospect than Sushko:
He had an offseason before his draft year, not bad, but not as good as when he was 17
Then at 18, in the SHL 37g 8-7 15 which is a solid performance at that age, then WJC 7g 4-5 9
At 19, 48g 8-17 25 WJC 7g 3-3 6
At 20, 52g 22-25 47, playoffs 20g 4-10 14

Reactions: RebusFlyer

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not sure how much of the phantoms u watch but vorobyev is better defensively and at faceoffs than vecchione. It's always either vorobyev or knight taking the dzone draws.

I think overall Knight has outplayed Vecchione, he's only two years older, and he has NHL experience.
So he'd be the better callup.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Lindblom was a much better prospect than Sushko:
He had an offseason before his draft year, not bad, but not as good as when he was 17
Then at 18, in the SHL 37g 8-7 15 which is a solid performance at that age, then WJC 7g 4-5 9
At 19, 48g 8-17 25 WJC 7g 3-3 6
At 20, 52g 22-25 47, playoffs 20g 4-10 14

So, draft year is a wash...4th rounder for Sushko, 5th rounder for Lindblom.

Draft+1 you say solid performance for Lindblom. So is a PPG in Jr from your 4th rounder.

WJC Lindblom 9 points in 7 games. Sushko 8 points in 6 games.

You can't see ANY parallels there???

Lindblom continued his good development the next 2 years to become a legit top 6 prospect. Maybe Sushko should be given the same leeway.

That's all I am saying.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sushko might be a late bloomer, but it's a different situation.
Sharp was moved by a team that should have seen a rebuild coming, just a stupid move.
Sushko is going to face a very crowded Lehigh roster in a year, remember, it's not just his draft class, but a number of forwards in the draft class ahead of him will be repeating the AHL.
And the top six in the NHL looks like it's going to be set for a while.

For Sushko to stay in the Flyers organization, he'd better become a first rate forechecker, responsible defensive player and solid PK guy.
It doesn't matter what his long-term offensive potential might be, guys like NAK, Allison, Ratcliffe and Rubtsov are going to be ahead of him when it comes to the (2) 3rd line spots along side of Frost. And he'll be fighting it out with guys like Kase as well.

When you're looking at that kind of depth, it behooves you to carve out a 4th line role, earn 10 minutes a night, and then take advantage of it. If Sushko has that kind of scoring potential, Vorobyev will get him the puck.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Sushko might be a late bloomer, but it's a different situation.
Sharp was moved by a team that should have seen a rebuild coming, just a stupid move.
Sushko is going to face a very crowded Lehigh roster in a year, remember, it's not just his draft class, but a number of forwards in the draft class ahead of him will be repeating the AHL.
And the top six in the NHL looks like it's going to be set for a while.

For Sushko to stay in the Flyers organization, he'd better become a first rate forechecker, responsible defensive player and solid PK guy.
It doesn't matter what his long-term offensive potential might be, guys like NAK, Allison, Ratcliffe and Rubtsov are going to be ahead of him when it comes to the (2) 3rd line spots along side of Frost. And he'll be fighting it out with guys like Kase as well.

When you're looking at that kind of depth, it behooves you to carve out a 4th line role, earn 10 minutes a night, and then take advantage of it. If Sushko has that kind of scoring potential, Vorobyev will get him the puck.
Or he could become a 40 goal winger. That could help too.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

We're either not hitting on the same point or not going to agree, so no point in hijacking a Marody thread.

UnsightlySpicyKinkajou-size_restricted.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad