Confirmed with Link: Cooper Marody traded to EDM for '19 3rd round pick

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
One of those things... way down on the depth chart and next year had they signed him he would have been buried on the Phantoms even.

Carey - Vorobyev - Allison
Rubtsov - Varone - Laczynski
Twarynski - Knight - Kase
Bunnaman - Bardreau -Fazleev

Assuming NAK, Martel AND Vecchione are not Phantoms next year...

3rd rounder seems fair value really.

There's also Laberge (ELC), Conner (AHL deal) and Goulbourne (RFA).

It doesn't seem like Salinitri is getting signed, but you never know.

Reactions: Appleyard

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
There's always a chance. Don't know what the demand could be for a guy with 3 NHL game under his belt and needs to clear waivers next year.
yea assuming voro and NAK makes team, Martel Leier Lehterä Weise in pressbox Hexy please make magic happen

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Assuming NAK, Martel AND Vecchione are not Phantoms next year...

IMO, Vecchione really has no business anywhere near an NHL roster anytime soon. In hindsight, his early season run of points seems directly due to being on a line with NAK and Martel.

NAK and Martel are buzzsaw's and, to a certain extent, have won me over. I have to think if a center from the current Phantoms roster is making the Flyers, it's Vorobyev, not Vecchione.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
I didn't think Friedman would sign with the glut of d-prospects
I don’t think college prospects care about competition from other prospects. The guys who go the free agent route do that because they don’t want to play for the team that drafted them or they want immediate playing time in the NHL. I don’t think anyone would be offering Friedman immediate playing time in the NHL.

Reactions: Deadpool8812

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
If you let college guys who are preforming go past their sophmore year you are flirting with danger. After their third year they know they are only one year away from choosing where they go and they will have tons of options to walk straight into the show and we get nothing for it other than a headache. We have two that need to come out this year, trust me they see that the flyers have signed 10 guys from the 2016 and 2017 drafts and they are thinking where the heck do i fit. They would be in the same situation next year as Marody is this year , if you snooze you lose . They have agents that are looking out for their clients best interest and are well versed in tactic,s .

Reactions: Tripod

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Not really worried about losing college free agents, how many pan out?

Vesey was one of the top guys a year ago, and he's had a "Weal" like career so far with the Rangers.
2016-17 80g 16-11 27 (19 ES) Corsi 44.9% CorsiRel -3.9 E +/- -8.1 [23 year old rookie]
2017-18 70g 15-7 22 (21 ES) Corsi 45.4% CorsiRel -1.2 E +/- -7.7

Flyers will have a better shot at the top guys, since they're confident they'll play anywhere and will want to go to a winner.
It's the second tier guys who'll shy away because they can take a quick shot at the Flyer prospect pipeline and know the odds are stacked against them.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The vast majority of noteworthy college route kids can’t afford to stick it out four years & turn UFA. It’s got to be a perfect storm where the kid had some pre-hype in the early going & was raw enough that they needed that much time.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The vast majority of noteworthy college route kids can’t afford to stick it out four years & turn UFA. It’s got to be a perfect storm where the kid had some pre-hype in the early going & was raw enough that they needed that much time.

Just to add to this, every year they stay in college is 365 days' more worth of minutiae for Pierre to spurt, and for that reason, I'm out.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
The reason Hextall tells someone like Sushko to focus on defense and forechecking isn't because he doesn't have potential to be a scoring winger some day, it's that with limited berths on the Flyers the next half decade or longer, his best chance of making the team is to ensure that his floor is a 4th line forward, his ceiling is up to him.

Not to turn this into a Sushko thread, but there is a difference between "focus on defense and forechecking" and Hextall's quote - "He’s not going to be that type of player at the pro level. He could be more of a two-way guy that’s not expected to score, but you hope he can chip in. " (Source: Hextall's take on Flyers prospects at World Junior Championships)

I have absolutely no problem with any GM saying work on your defense as it gives you a better chance to play in the NHL. I do take issue with saying you're never going to be a first or second line player so don't even think about it. Encourage them to build an all-around game, emphasize their strengths and encourage them to keep working on them, but don't actively discourage part of their game. There's no need to put an artificial ceiling on your prospects.

Hextall's full quote for those who don't want to click through:
"Sushko was good. He’s big player on that team. They don’t have a ton of ability, so he plays a big role, probably a bigger role than he would play with another country, but he was playing 24 to 26 minutes. Too much for a forward, but he’s a big guy, a thick guy that can skate. He’s got good sense. He was on their power play, their penalty kill. He did a lot of good things and played well. He’s not going to be that type of player at the pro level. He could be more of a two-way guy that’s not expected to score, but you hope he can chip in. He did a good job, made a name for himself. Obviously we knew him taking him in the fourth round, but he made a good impression."

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I just saw a guy on Twitter said that in Pronman's mail bag he said that he heard Marody wanted to be a UFA. If true, Hextall got pretty damn

Thanks for the heads up. I checked. He also said that the Oilers "really jumped at him" and that he was only made available a day or two ago.

The Athletic is definitely worth a sub if anyone is on the fence, Pronman's dubious quality aside.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I believe that was the case if he was still a flyer. Right now it is not fun to be a flyer prospect.

I can't disagree entirely, but the current situation is a matter of perspective. If you have a strong, deep prospect pool around you, the alpha males will take it as motivation to push themselves. Also, one never knows what the circumstances will be over time. I bet Lyon wasn't actively thinking that he would be up for multiple NHL starts in the midst of a playoff drive back in August.

That being said, I'd be more concerned as a prospect of the slow-cooking process and some of the arbitrary personnel decisions.

Reactions: Jtown

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
It also depends on whether they go in as a true freshman or start as a 21 year old or if they are 22 coming out i guess that could be the perfect storm . Allison would be 22 Tanner would just be 23 on June 1st. Alexander Kerfoot, Wil Bucher both college free agents last year after not signing with the team that drafted them both top 10 in rookie scoring this year

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I just saw a guy on Twitter said that in Pronman's mail bag he said that he heard Marody wanted to be a UFA. If true, Hextall got pretty damn good value.
Not to say it's untrue, but he's been saying this about a lot of guys. He mentioned Wolanin from Ottawa going UFA and he just signed the other day.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It also depends on whether they go in as a true freshman or start as a 21 year old or if they are 22 coming out i guess that could be the perfect storm . Allison would be 22 Tanner would just be 23 on June 1st. Alexander Kerfoot, Wil Bucher both college free agents last year after not signing with the team that drafted them both top 10 in rookie scoring this year

Well yeah Allison & Laczynski should actually be juniors this year instead of sophomores given their ages. Allison was a late birthday & Laczynski was actually a draft re-entry from the 2015 draft class. I’d imagine more so for hockey reasons though they didn’t enter college right away.

Both of them probably could have turned pro after last year if the Flyers really wanted them too. But they’re both too good to be staying another year or two at this point. It’s not worth it for them to pass up an NHL contract for two years.

With Butcher, Kerfoot, & Marody these guys weren’t good enough to receive a contract early from their drafted teams. They all probably didn’t seriously get an offer until after their junior years & at that point some kids are just willing to wait it out more year. But even then most kids still sign with their drafted teams. The NCAA kids leaving after four years gets more criticism on these boards than it actually is a problem that it’s made out to be.

Last edited:

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
You are an American right, but i question this. Canada goes January 1st to December 31st for school years the US does not. So Allison for sure is a true freshman and Laczynski is close. US is school year to school year"mostly"so June 1st to May 30th. Nhl draft years go Sept 15 to Sept 14th . I know to many different dates to remember

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad