Connor Bedard vs Matvei Michkov

Bedard vs Michkov

• Total voters

barabas21

Mar 9, 2016
Michkov has looked unbelievable thus far, but people need to remember he is 8 months older than Bedard. Which at this age is a long time for developing. Either way this 2023 draft is shaping up to be a monster.

Reactions: Dominance

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Exceptional aka generational good! They all are!

This is a weird year for the WHL because they’re allowing 15 year olds to play who otherwise wouldn’t be able to because of Covid cancellations to Midget seasons across Canada.

Nevertheless, Bedard was leading the WHL in scoring at the time when he left for the U-18s which is pretty ridiculous. The WHL actually is having the best influx of forwards that it’s had in forever, usually the WHL is renowned for being a D man factory for the NHL producing excellent two way D men it’s been that way for decades.

Just as all this elite forward talent from Western Canada is entering the WHL, we can’t go watch them this year, funny how that works.

Michkov is incredible in his own right as well. Such a fun player to watch, he’s an unbelievable prospect.

Reactions: Bubbles

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
They're 1A and 1B.
At this point, 'who's better' would be predicated on the needs of the team drafting them. Both are outstanding.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
They would go 1/2 if they were eligible this year.
This is a weird year for the WHL because they’re allowing 15 year olds to play who otherwise wouldn’t be able to because of Covid cancellations to Midget seasons across Canada.

Nevertheless, Bedard was leading the WHL in scoring at the time when he left for the U-18s which is pretty ridiculous. The WHL actually is having the best influx of forwards that it’s had in forever, usually the WHL is renowned for being a D man factory for the NHL producing excellent two way D men it’s been that way for decades.

Just as all this elite forward talent from Western Canada is entering the WHL, we can’t go watch them this year, funny how that works.

Michkov is incredible in his own right as well. Such a fun player to watch, he’s an unbelievable prospect.

Between a lot of the players being rusty from not
playing first half of season to over influx of 15 yrolds the dub wasn’t the usual dub this year so tiny grain of salt on CB leading league in scoring

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Between a lot of the players being rusty from not
playing first half of season to over influx of 15 yrolds the dub wasn’t the usual dub this year so tiny grain of salt on CB leading league in scoring
While I agree that the dub probably wasn’t quite as strong as it usually is, the fact that he was neck and neck with Krebs in scoring is what I think legitimizes Bedard’s numbers. Krebs was coming from the AHL with a PPG pace and had a much stronger supporting cast in Winnipeg and his numbers didn’t look grossly inflated from what one would’ve expected them to look like in a normal dub year. It makes me believe that claims of the dub being extremely weak this year are a bit exaggerated.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Michkov will absolutely go as high as he should. He already has a lot more hype than Kaprizov did in NA as he's seen as the clear cut challenger to Bedard. It's likely he is 1 or 2 at this point.
No.

No matter how great he is..an nhl team in the top 5 will not want to wait 4, 5 years..

Kuznetsov was a top 5.....but he had a khl signed and Washington took a chance at 22...... and he arrived only at 22.

4,5 years it's huge for a good player...look what Crosby did between 18 and 22 years.old.

Michkov is not avalaible before 22 years old...forget it

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No.

No matter how great he is..an nhl team in the top 5 will not want to wait 4, 5 years..

Kuznetsov was a top 5.....but he had a khl signed and Washington took a chance at 22...... and he arrived only at 22.

4,5 years it's huge for a good player...look what Crosby did between 18 and 22 years.old.

Michkov is not avalaible before 22 years old...forget it

Everyone said that about Malkin too. He eventually came over and I don't think the Pens were too sad about waiting for him to do so.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Michkov looks like a significantly better prospect to me. Haven't seen him play yet in this tournament but he blew everyone away at the 4-nations in Gothenburg. After watching all of Bedards games with HV71 I'm a bit surprised by his success in the WHL actually.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Everyone said that about Malkin too. He eventually came over and I don't think the Pens were too sad about waiting for him to do so.

Wrong

At the time there was a deal between Russie and Nhl...a player was able to break his contract and come over.

Not the case anymore..Michkov has a contract with the Khl...until 22 years old...

Malkin moved at 20 ....big difference

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
About what? Michkov is Russia’s best prospect in 20 years and he won’t even go top-3 with that KHL contract, book it.

Yeah, that's what every other NHL team will dream about in 2023, that Michkov not been picked in top2-3-4 etc because of that contract.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
About what? Michkov is Russia’s best prospect in 20 years and he won’t even go top-3 with that KHL contract, book it.

Man, even with that I have a hard time seeing him on the board at #2 and a team passing up on him.

Superstar written all over him, best European born prospect in nearly a couple of decades. His style of play is also conducive to success on the smaller ice as well. He very intuitively attacks open ice in the middle to create scoring opportunities, that will translate well.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Wrong

At the time there was a deal between Russie and Nhl...a player was able to break his contract and come over.

Not the case anymore..Michkov has a contract with the Khl...until 22 years old...

Malkin moved at 20 ....big difference

Then whichever team plays the long game will be rewarded more than the teams that didn't.

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Wow! It will be a long long wait, with alot of headache until the draft with these two kids. One day Bedard is the best, the other Michkov. Ovi vs Crosby all over again.. :popcorn:

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto

If he progresses as planned, I expect him to go 2nd.

There's no way a team is passing up on someone this good even if they have to wait. Their fanbase would easily understand the logic behind the pick and it allows you to keep tanking for a bit more. By the time he comes, you plug him into a team that's trending upwards.

On the same note, he pretty much has no chance of getting picked #1 due to that contract. Bedard would have to fall off dramatically to the point he's not even close to being a top pick.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
If he progresses as planned, I expect him to go 2nd.

There's no way a team is passing up on someone this good even if they have to wait. Their fanbase would easily understand the logic behind the pick and it allows you to keep tanking for a bit more. By the time he comes, you plug him into a team that's trending upwards.

On the same note, he pretty much has no chance of getting picked #1 due to that contract. Bedard would have to fall off dramatically to the point he's not even close to being a top pick.

Yeah, I agree with both parts, but I personally just don't give a damn, will Michkov be picked 1st OA, 2nd, 3rd, in the 7th round or not picked at all. It won't impact his game, which is the most important thing after all.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
It is not Ovi vs Crosby all over again.

Those 2 played their first season at the same time in 05-06.

Bedard will be in the Nhl at 18 and Michkov at 22 at the earliest...

Reactions: Dominance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad