Connor Bedard vs Matvei Michkov

Bedard vs Michkov

• Total voters

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I don't even know how to give a dignified response to an individual who appears to have made up his mind based on 2 games in a U-18 tournament against mediocre competition.

It was okay to see Bedard up front when he played strong in the weak WHL

I lean towards Connor now.

Few days and a very strong Michkov U18 performance later:

Lol there is absolutely no definitive answer to who is the better player at this point and time.

I mean youre right. Nevertheless its kind of funny that you didn't react when the same statement you quoted was made about Bedard...

Connor Bedard right now is the better player.

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
First of all, I don't think there's a contradiction between ,,I lean towards Connor'' and ,,there is no definitive answer who is the better player''. I'd agree with both statements, lol.

Both look like 2nd-3rd best players in D-2 seasons since Tavares, right now it's only a matter of preference to choose one over another. Maybe after WCH if one outplays another, these preferences will receive some validation, but it will be still one-tournament sample two years before a draft under different circumstances (although against the same competition). Bedard and Michkov were pretty equal in first two games, then Michkov played this monster game against Germany, where he could have scored 5-6 goals with more luck. Let's wait to see what Bedard does next before we start comparing them at this competition.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I don't even know how to give a dignified response to an individual who appears to have made up his mind based on 2 games in a U-18 tournament against mediocre competition.

Michkov has actually already played so much more games on high junior level, than Bedard, that saying "based on 2 games in a U-18 tournament" sounds a little bit out of place.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It’s funny how recency bias works
Recency bias is complicated when judging developing prospects.

It can't be knee jerk reactions all the time but as you're trying to project them them going forward, how their performance changes over time is relevant. It's a tough balance

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax

I've seen some ignorant comments in my many years on this discussion board, but this is one of the worst. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about if you think the WHL is a weak league.

You're also forgetting that Bedard did what he did in the WHL as a 15-year-old -- the first player to be granted exceptional status by that league.

FYI, the league record for PPG for a 16yo is 1.64 by Glenn Goodall in 1986-87 and that was during the high-scoring 80s.

It's much tougher to score in the league now and Bedard averaged 1.87 PPG while being one year younger.

Talk up your boy Michkov all you want, but don't make yourself look foolish with ill-informed comments about Canadian junior hockey.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Bedard

He is center and should give 2-3 ppg seasons in the NHL before Michkov is done his KHL deal and joins the NHL.

I think they're similar caliber prospects but due to positional need for most 1st overall teams being more towards a center and the fact Bedard could win ross/hart trophy during his ELC if he lives up to the hype whilr Michkov is playing in the KHL after being drafted it becomes an easy decision

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
First of all, I don't think there's a contradiction between ,,I lean towards Connor'' and ,,there is no definitive answer who is the better player''. I'd agree with both statements, lol.

Both look like 2nd-3rd best players in D-2 seasons since Tavares, right now it's only a matter of preference to choose one over another. Maybe after WCH if one outplays another, these preferences will receive some validation, but it will be still one-tournament sample two years before a draft under different circumstances (although against the same competition). Bedard and Michkov were pretty equal in first two games, then Michkov played this monster game against Germany, where he could have scored 5-6 goals with more luck. Let's wait to see what Bedard does next before we start comparing them at this competition.

Look I already wrote in the last post that the user is right at the end of the day - there is no definitive answer up to this point. But we all know that some posters have less of a problem with sample size and definitive statements when it comes to Bedard. Its not only about Michkov, Bedards 15 games were enough to lift him on McDavid level an better than Wright while the later one didnt even had the chance to show something. And the same people are for sure the first to go crazy when Bedard scores a bunch of goals against switzerland or so:sarcasm:

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
I've seen some ignorant comments in my many years on this discussion board, but this is one of the worst. You clearly have no idea what you're talking about if you think the WHL is a weak league.

You're also forgetting that Bedard did what he did in the WHL as a 15-year-old -- the first player to be granted exceptional status by that league.

FYI, the league record for PPG for a 16yo is 1.64 by Glenn Goodall in 1986-87 and that was during the high-scoring 80s.

It's much tougher to score in the league now and Bedard averaged 1.87 PPG while being one year younger.

Talk up your boy Michkov all you want, but don't make yourself look foolish with ill-informed comments about Canadian junior hockey.

The WHL at least this year is weak. Bedards competition was weak and a bunch of 15 year olds playing quite well in the same (weak) league (please, stop this exceptional status thing already...). Now you saw another ignorant comment.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Whenever I've watched Bedard he seems like the worst puckhog ever and will stickhandle himself out of possession when there are A1 passing lanes he could've set people up for tap ins. Idk if this is common of players of his calibre at the level he was playing at, his coaches perhaps instruct him to play like this but his hockey IQ looked abysmal.

I got the EXACT impression as well. Even that part of his coaches may tell him. And maybe opposition is too easy.
At WHL it looks like he actually passes the puck, his speed is caught up by the game, otherwise its not worth to give away the pick and momentum - if youre play is faster than the regular game. What happens in a junior hockey game - happens for Bedard with Bedard.

But now he has some challange on the field at least, so leta see. MacKinnon was a puckhog in junior as well. He was just to darn speedy for everyone else

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Bedard looks like the more surefire, NHL offensive punch.

Michkov has the more special skills. The focus and mind of the small details in his game. If Michkov continues his curve, in the vision developement, he will be a superstar.

Everything starts with vision, understanding, then hands,

Bedarf has hands, some understanding. But I dont know about the vision part

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

Few days and a very strong Michkov U18 performance later:

I mean youre right. Nevertheless its kind of funny that you didn't react when the same statement you quoted was made about Bedard...

If you can't see the difference between "I lean towards Connor" (Which I do at this point) and a definitive statement saying that Michkov is clearly the superior player because of two U-18 games I'm not quite sure what to tell you either. This isn't complex guys

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Michkov has actually already played so much more games on high junior level, than Bedard, that saying "based on 2 games in a U-18 tournament" sounds a little bit out of place.

In an entirely different league that from my experience I truly can't quite grade as effectively as the W.

I have watched both play on numerous occasions.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
If you can't see the difference between "I lean towards Connor" (Which I do at this point) and a definitive statement saying that Michkov is clearly the superior player because of two U-18 games I'm not quite sure what to tell you either. This isn't complex guys

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

We've literally just been through that both statements were not the same, at all. There's nothing definitive out there as of this moment to conclude who the better player is.

I slightly lean towards Bedard being the top prospect for the Draft currently but that could certainly change long before Mid 2023, they're both kids.

crosbyshow

Aug 25, 2017
Michkov will not come in the NHL before 22 or 23 years old ...at the earliest.

So Bedard will be draft first and I would not be surprise that Michkov will not be in the top 5 no matter how good he is.

Kaprisov has been drafted in 2015...and it is his first year here....

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Michkov will not come in the NHL before 22 or 23 years old ...at the earliest.

So Bedard will be draft first and I would not be surprise that Michkov will not be in the top 5 no matter how good he is.

Kaprisov has been drafted in 2015...and it is his first year here....

Michkov will absolutely go as high as he should. He already has a lot more hype than Kaprizov did in NA as he's seen as the clear cut challenger to Bedard. It's likely he is 1 or 2 at this point.

Reactions: wetcoast

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Bedard looks like the more surefire, NHL offensive punch.

Michkov has the more special skills. The focus and mind of the small details in his game. If Michkov continues his curve, in the vision developement, he will be a superstar.

Everything starts with vision, understanding, then hands,

Bedarf has hands, some understanding. But I dont know about the vision part

He's made some pretty high end plays to get assists so far, not sure how you can question his vision.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad