Connor Bedard vs Matvei Michkov

Bedard vs Michkov

• Total voters

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
With what very little I've seen, they have comparable talent levels, but I like Michkov's direct drive more.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
Just from YouTube highlights of both and how Bédard has started in Sweden I would have to go with him, though they both look outstanding. I would say Bédard’s strengths are his incredible shot, perfect footwork and puck protection (he seems very comfortable negotiating tight spaces with many defenders around in-spite of his relative lack of size) , whereas Michkov has better vision and play making ability but is slightly behind in those other areas. Going forward I would think Bédard projects to an even silkier version of MacKinnon and Michkov projects to a Kucherov type player. As mentioned earlier I hope we get a Canada-Russia final at some point between these two.

I should mention I’m slightly biased as Canadian but I don’t think I have ever seen a better player than Bédard at his age in North America, it’s incredible how he ripped up that high-end U18 league like it was nothing.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Just from YouTube highlights of both and how Bédard has started in Sweden I would have to go with him, though they both look outstanding. I would say Bédard’s strengths are his incredible shot, perfect footwork and puck protection (he seems very comfortable negotiating tight spaces with many defenders around in-spite of his relative lack of size) , whereas Michkov has better vision and play making ability but is slightly behind in those other areas. Going forward I would think Bédard projects to an even silkier version of MacKinnon and Michkov projects to a Kucherov type player. As mentioned earlier I hope we get a Canada-Russia final at some point between these two.

I should mention I’m slightly biased as Canadian but I don’t think I have ever seen a better player than Bédard at his age in North America, it’s incredible how he ripped up that high-end U18 league like it was nothing.

Kinda funny to call a kid with 70 goals in 26 games a playmaker. Yeah, he can pass the puck, but it's his goal scoring, that makes him that special.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Kinda funny to call a kid with 70 goals in 26 games a playmaker. Yeah, he can pass the puck, but it's his goal scoring, that makes him that special.
Again outside of YouTube I haven’t seen him playing live, but his shooting is not what jumped out at me, it was his vision and stickhandling. He did have few nice goals in the highlight packs but they weren’t jaw dropping

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Again outside of YouTube I haven’t seen him playing live, but his shooting is not what jumped out at me, it was his vision and stickhandling. He did have few nice goals in the highlight packs but they weren’t jaw dropping

He always goes straight to dirty areas, to get scoring chances. Right now he obviously isn't always successful, because his opponents are way bigger and tougher, than he, but when he'll mature, defensemen will be seeing him in their nightmares.

Last edited:
Reactions: snipes

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
I'd describe Michkov more as a cerebral offensive player than a goalscorer or a playmaker. With the puck on his stick, he's thinking pass before shoot, but always maintains a position where he's a threat to do either one. Without the puck, it's all about getting open, usually backdoor or around the net.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Bédard looks the real deal. Was Regina’s best player by far and should have had a triple. Best player I’ve seen in the CHL since McDavid if not better. Will interesting to see how he deals with the more physical nature of the WHL though vs the more finesse oriented eastern leagues in Ontario and Quebec

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Not sure if you guys have heard but the Russian developmental plan is lightyears ahead of anything that happens in North America.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Connor Bedard right now is the better player.

Should be a spectacular U18 tournament. Haven't looked forward to a U18 tournament this much since McDavid's 2013 tournament in Sochi.

Reactions: dlam

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Connor Bedard right now is the better player.

Should be a spectacular U18 tournament. Haven't looked forward to a U18 tournament this much since McDavid's 2013 tournament in Sochi.

Matvei Michkov right now is the better player... I mean, yeah, almost not a joke.

I'm still pretty sure Bedard will be picked 1 OA, because of nationality, position and Michkov's SKA contract, but both are ridiculous talents.

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
I'm still pretty sure Bedard will be picked 1 OA, because of nationality, position and Michkov's SKA contract, but both are ridiculous talents.
Being a Canadian or a center may be deciding factor if both are the same tier of prospects, but it's still waaay to early, they're amazing for their age, but still can end up as Tavares-level prospects (still pretty great, but people at some point were expecting more). The scary part is they're good enough already that I don't think they'll fall from a level of potential 1st picks.

And I don't think we can say that one is clearly better than another right now, Bedard and Michkov may be exchanging awesome highlights and offensive production back and forth effectively for next two years.

Reactions: wetcoast

Eugene85

Jan 25, 2010
Russia
Bоth Cоnnоr and Matvei are fun tо watch. It's gооd we have such a "rivalary" between twо оf them. Gооd fоr fans, gооd fоr hоckey. Maybe nоne оf them will end up as superstar etc, they're just kids, whо knоws what's gоnna happen? But as fоr nоw they lооk very prоmising and intriguing.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Matvei Michkov right now is the better player... I mean, yeah, almost not a joke.

Lol there is absolutely no definitive answer to who is the better player at this point and time.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Being a Canadian or a center may be deciding factor if both are the same tier of prospects, but it's still waaay to early, they're amazing for their age, but still can end up as Tavares-level prospects (still pretty great, but people at some point were expecting more). The scary part is they're good enough already that I don't think they'll fall from a level of potential 1st picks.

And I don't think we can say that one is clearly better than another right now, Bedard and Michkov may be exchanging awesome highlights and offensive production back and forth effectively for next two years.

Lol, Tavares level prospect is actually crazy good. People tend to underrate him, because he's won nothing, but forgetm he had no help on the Isles during his prime ages. If he had someone like Chicago team Kane had, he would probably have won those 3 caps as well.

If Bedard turns out to be Tavares level and Michkov Kane level, it'll be fantastic output of the draft.

PeterCheater

Feb 22, 2014
Lol, Tavares level prospect is actually crazy good.
Tavares is just an example of a player that went from trajectory for potential generational-level prospect early to franchise-caliber center and borderline Hart nominee in few seasons then, I'm not saying that being Hart nominee in few seasons isn't a fantastic career on its own. Next season will be more conclusive in evaluating both Michkov and Bedard.
:laugh:

6 > 0 goals... in case you still need an argument who your favorite is for now.
Don't overreact with one-game sample against Germany U-18, lol.

NatusVincere

Nov 30, 2018
Don't overreact with one-game sample against Germany U-18, lol.

But you realized that i'm referring to posts calling Bedard the next superstar because of few games in a weak league? Besides that, it has nothing to do with Germany, Michkov continues where he left off.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
the exceptional status hasn't been workout recently for the CHL. Of course Bedard being the 1st to obtain that title from my home Province is something huge out in the West coast, don't know not going to vote, kinda sucks, whoever drafts Michkov is going to have to wait 3 full seasons before seeing him in the N/A. 2023 gonna be a beaut!

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
the exceptional status hasn't been workout recently for the CHL. Of course Bedard being the 1st to obtain that title from my home Province is something huge out in the West coast, don't know not going to vote, kinda sucks, whoever drafts Michkov is going to have to wait 3 full seasons before seeing him in the N/A. 2023 gonna be a beaut!

Well, on the bright side they will be able to keep sucking and draft another good young players. Then Michkov comes, and they will have the whole bunch of young studs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad